Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab's Builds! (Zilla! Baragon! Orga! MUTOs! Gamera!)

Post by MacynSnow »

KorokoMystia wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:55 pm Cloverfield did have two follow-up movies of sorts, 10 Cloverfield Lane and The Cloverfield Paradox, but I have no idea how they tie in to the original movie, if at all.
From what myself and the rest of Weyland-Yutani(tm) can figure out,this is how they interconnect.....*brings out chalkboard and starts writing*
The Cloverfield Paradox set-up the monster's Arrival,as their time experiment was what could've brought the thing into this reality in the first place(it would certainly fit the Monster's disorientation like behavior after it first woke up)...

10 Cloverfield Lane happened at roughly the same time,especially if we believe John Goodman's statement that the lead Actress had been unconscious for a couple of day's.The fact that the Alien ships arrival coincides with the 'destruction" of the Spacestation from Paradox is rather telling(i still don't buy the Spacestation's complete destruction.There's just to many variables there......) if you think 'bout it...

Cloverfield becomes basically an Aftermath movie in this case,as the Monster becomes little more than another victim(allbut one that can destroy whole cities in it's disorientation and Fear),we're just not allowed to look at the whole thing from it's perspective....
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

*walks in and sits down, facing you, THE VIEWER*

I'd like to talk about Gamera for a minute. I'm a big Gamera fan. I own all the movies with the exception of Gamera the Brave, which I intend to rectify as soon as I can.

But Gamera.....Gamera had a place in my life at an early age. A place that led to PAIN.

I'm not sure how old I was when I became aware of Gamera. I know I learned it from my neighbors. I've mentioned them before at some point I imagine. They were distant relatives that moved down from Ohio and moved into my family's old house (as I've mentioned as far back as I can remember my parents had been building what I refer to as the new house....the house I lived in most of my life and live in now as a gift from my mom and dad rather than them sell it).

The family, the Caldwells, were a nice little group: a mother, a father (who was stricken with polio), two sons, and the father's elderly mother. I loved all these people greatly and only one of them (the younger son) is alive today. These people were pretty important in my early to mid childhood. I remember many days that I watched everything from Power Rangers to f'n Evil Dead 2 with them. We were all into pro wrestling. I helped the dad out with A Link to the Past many a day (he had Polio, all he could really do was play video games on their Genesis and SNES) The older son got me into comics more than I already was, got me into the Marvel trading cards, and even GAVE me his entire comics collection. Between that and the Cobra HISS he gave me for Christmas (which was his) I was just astounded by how generous he was. These people didn't have virtually anything but were so giving. It's something you don't appreciate at the time but when you look back to it, you wish you could tell them what they meant to you.

At any rate...Gamera.

They told me of Gamera. Now this is early 90s. I had seen alot of monster movies, virtually every Godzilla movie released to that point minus a couple. But Gamera....a giant turtle that flew via rocket holes? I thought they were messing with me. They weren't. They were telling me the truth.

THEY WERE WARNING ME.

What do I mean by that? Well, you see.....I had a hell of a time watching a Gamera movie. Any Gamera movie.

See the Sci-Fi Channel had just started, and to save money they showed ALOT of cheap crap at first. ALOT of it from Sandy Frank. Like Fugitive Alien, Time of the Apes, the Legend of the Dinosaurs (and Monster Birds).

And there was Gamera. GAMERA. GAMERAAAAAAAAAA!

I'm getting to a point, trust me.

The first Gamera movie I ever really caught (oh jeez) was Gamera vs Zigra. Only I didn't really catch it. I caught the last five minutes of it. See, I had gotten a copy of Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla that day and was avidly watching it, and after it was done I turned on the Sci-Fi Channel and found well....Gamera playing a xylophone on a giant fishes' scales before incinerating it.

Moving on, I remember a time school was cancelled very early in the morning. Rather than watch TV, I played with my toys all morning until my dad told me "Hey there's a movie on you may like". I came into the TV room and there was that damned Akio with his shaved head giving his grievances about war and traffic accidents aka the last five minutes of Gamera vs Guiron.

I did managed to catch the last half hour of Gamera vs Barugon though....and later actually got to watch the full run time of both Gamera vs Guiron and Gamera vs Gyaos/Gaos...but there's more.

Gamera the Invincible...now there was a kick to the proverbial balls if I ever I had one. So many times I tried to watch that. So many...and every time....EVERY SINGLE TIME...something prevented it. It came on late one Sunday night during Christmas break on radiation theater. I made it to the lighthouse scene and fell asleep. One morning that same winter, school was on a two hour delay....and Gamera the Invincible came on that morning....and I had to go to school right after it came on. And on further thought, the movies the Sci-Fi Channel would show in the mornings were the movies they would show the afternoon before....which means I would have gotten to watch it as there was no school THAT day but for some reason my mom was mad at me and wouldn't let me watch TV. I never saw Gamera the Invincible until college.

BUT WAIT...THERE'S MORE!

Top Turtle Tuesday. In case you didn't know, the August where I would return to school my sixth grade year had a thing where every Tuesday they'd show one of the Gamera movies that Sci-Fi had the viewing rights to. Of course I missed Gamera the Invincible thanks to SCHOOL SHOPPING....but hey....my dad was gonna be off most of those Tuesdays that month....HE COULD TAPE THEM.

So yeah I got Gamera vs Barugon....cool story bro....then the next week dad went to tape Gamera vs Gaos.....and the weirdest damned thing happened. We had one of those old jumbo satellite systems with the giant dish (where you could actually watch TV when it rained, God I miss that), but....for some reason...maybe sun spots...I don't know....Gamera vs Gaos only had sound in certain parts.....and it was only when the screen was light...as in day scenes....or explosions or what not....night scenes....of which most of the movie IS IN....were dead silent. No sound, only picture.

The next week Dad had gotten in late from work and only was able to record the last half hour or so of Gamera vs Guiron, which I wasn't disappointed by really.....but Gamera vs Zigra? In a truly bizarre twist....the tape cut off.....RIGHT AT THE MOMENT WHERE THIS ALL FIRST BEGAN....Gamera flying out of the ocean to play xylophone on Zigra.

Time goes on. A boy becomes a teenager and I find "Hey there are new Gamera movies!" and even watch Gamera: Guardian of the Universe on Showtime! And thanks to Fangoria I find out more are coming! And years later, I find that trilogy on DVD when I'm out in Lexington (KY's biggest city) with some friends from college....and thanks to eating at Outback....I'm out of money and can't buy the damn thing. And not one of the assholes I was with would help a brother out.

*screaming inside*

I'd eventually find other old Showa Gamera movies I hadn't seen like Gamera vs Jiger and Gamera vs Viras....and I'd even find more like Gamera vs Guiron....except it was the AIP cut that removed all the violence which is the only reason to watch that one!

And then I found the 90's trilogy on Blu-Ray.......but the subtitles blend in with the backgrounds.

Eventually I got them all....with good subtitles and uncut.....and I was happy......

But this series....this series hurt me....and wanted to keep on hurting me. It left me as I left it....buried alive.......buried alive.

...GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

(Gameraaaaaaaa, Gameraaaaaaaaaa....hirohito GAMERA)

edit: it should be noted the first time I tried to watch Gamera The Brave via youtube, the subtitles were all in a foreign language.......Gamera hates me
Last edited by HalloweenJack on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:40 pm
KorokoMystia wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:55 pm Cloverfield did have two follow-up movies of sorts, 10 Cloverfield Lane and The Cloverfield Paradox, but I have no idea how they tie in to the original movie, if at all.
From what myself and the rest of Weyland-Yutani(tm) can figure out,this is how they interconnect.....*brings out chalkboard and starts writing*
The Cloverfield Paradox set-up the monster's Arrival,as their time experiment was what could've brought the thing into this reality in the first place(it would certainly fit the Monster's disorientation like behavior after it first woke up)...

10 Cloverfield Lane happened at roughly the same time,especially if we believe John Goodman's statement that the lead Actress had been unconscious for a couple of day's.The fact that the Alien ships arrival coincides with the 'destruction" of the Spacestation from Paradox is rather telling(i still don't buy the Spacestation's complete destruction.There's just to many variables there......) if you think 'bout it...

Cloverfield becomes basically an Aftermath movie in this case,as the Monster becomes little more than another victim(allbut one that can destroy whole cities in it's disorientation and Fear),we're just not allowed to look at the whole thing from it's perspective....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV4_IouOI5k

worth a watch
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:51 pm *walks in and sits down, facing you, THE VIEWER*

I'd like to talk about Gamera for a minute. I'm a big Gamera fan. I own all the movies with the exception of Gamera the Brave, which I intend to rectify as soon as I can.

But Gamera.....Gamera had a place in my life at an early age. A place that led to PAIN.

I'm not sure how old I was when I became aware of Gamera. I know I learned it from my neighbors. I've mentioned them before at some point I imagine. They were distant relatives that moved down from Ohio and moved into my family's old house (as I've mentioned as far back as I can remember my parents had been building what I refer to as the new house....the house I lived in most of my life and live in now as a gift from my mom and dad rather than them sell it).

The family, the Caldwells, were a nice little group: a mother, a father (who was stricken with polio), two sons, and the father's elderly mother. I loved all these people greatly and only one of them (the younger son) is alive today. These people were pretty important in my early to mid childhood. I remember many days that I watched everything from Power Rangers to f'n Evil Dead 2 with them. We were all into pro wrestling. I helped the dad out with A Link to the Past many a day (he had Polio, all he could really do was play video games on their Genesis and SNES) The older son got me into comics more than I already was, got me into the Marvel trading cards, and even GAVE me his entire comics collection. Between that and the Cobra HISS he gave me for Christmas (which was his) I was just astounded by how generous he was. These people didn't have virtually anything but were so giving. It's something you don't appreciate at the time but when you look back to it, you wish you could tell them what they meant to you.

At any rate...Gamera.

They told me of Gamera. Now this is early 90s. I had seen alot of monster movies, virtually every Godzilla movie released to that point minus a couple. But Gamera....a giant turtle that flew via rocket holes? I thought they were messing with me. They weren't. They were telling me the truth.

THEY WERE WARNING ME.

What do I mean by that? Well, you see.....I had a hell of a time watching a Gamera movie. Any Gamera movie.

See the Sci-Fi Channel had just started, and to save money they showed ALOT of cheap crap at first. ALOT of it from Sandy Frank. Like Fugitive Alien, Time of the Apes, the Legend of the Dinosaurs (and Monster Birds).

And there was Gamera. GAMERA. GAMERAAAAAAAAAA!

I'm getting to a point, trust me.

The first Gamera movie I ever really caught (oh jeez) was Gamera vs Zigra. Only I didn't really catch it. I caught the last five minutes of it. See, I had gotten a copy of Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla that day and was avidly watching it, and after it was done I turned on the Sci-Fi Channel and found well....Gamera playing a xylophone on a giant fishes' scales before incinerating it.

Moving on, I remember a time school was cancelled very early in the morning. Rather than watch TV, I played with my toys all morning until my dad told me "Hey there's a movie on you may like". I came into the TV room and there was that damned Akio with his shaved head giving his grievances about war and traffic accidents aka the last five minutes of Gamera vs Guiron.

I did managed to catch the last half hour of Gamera vs Barugon though....and later actually got to watch the full run time of both Gamera vs Guiron and Gamera vs Gyaos/Gaos...but there's more.

Gamera the Invincible...now there was a kick to the proverbial balls if I ever I had one. So many times I tried to watch that. So many...and every time....EVERY SINGLE TIME...something prevented it. It came on late one Sunday night during Christmas break on radiation theater. I made it to the lighthouse scene and fell asleep. One morning that same winter, school was on a two hour delay....and Gamera the Invincible came on that morning....and I had to go to school right after it came on. And on further thought, the movies the Sci-Fi Channel would show in the mornings were the movies they would show the afternoon before....which means I would have gotten to watch it as there was no school THAT day but for some reason my mom was mad at me and wouldn't let me watch TV. I never saw Gamera the Invincible until college.

BUT WAIT...THERE'S MORE!

Top Turtle Tuesday. In case you didn't know, the August where I would return to school my sixth grade year had a thing where every Tuesday they'd show one of the Gamera movies that Sci-Fi had the viewing rights to. Of course I missed Gamera the Invincible thanks to SCHOOL SHOPPING....but hey....my dad was gonna be off most of those Tuesdays that month....HE COULD TAPE THEM.

So yeah I got Gamera vs Barugon....cool story bro....then the next week dad went to tape Gamera vs Gaos.....and the weirdest damned thing happened. We had one of those old jumbo satellite systems with the giant dish (where you could actually watch TV when it rained, God I miss that), but....for some reason...maybe sun spots...I don't know....Gamera vs Gaos only had sound in certain parts.....and it was only when the screen was light...as in day scenes....or explosions or what not....night scenes....of which most of the movie IS IN....were dead silent. No sound, only picture.

The next week Dad had gotten in late from work and only was able to record the last half hour or so of Gamera vs Guiron, which I wasn't disappointed by really.....but Gamera vs Zigra? In a truly bizarre twist....the tape cut off.....RIGHT AT THE MOMENT WHERE THIS ALL FIRST BEGAN....Gamera flying out of the ocean to play xylophone on Zigra.

Time goes on. A boy becomes a teenager and I find "Hey there are new Gamera movies!" and even watch Gamera: Guardian of the Universe on Showtime! And thanks to Fangoria I find out more are coming! And years later, I find that trilogy on DVD when I'm out in Lexington (KY's biggest city) with some friends from college....and thanks to eating at Outback....I'm out of money and can't buy the damn thing. And not one of the assholes I was with would help a brother out.

*screaming inside*

I'd eventually find other old Showa Gamera movies I hadn't seen like Gamera vs Jiger and Gamera vs Viras....and I'd even find more like Gamera vs Guiron....except it was the AIP cut that removed all the violence which is the only reason to watch that one!

And then I found the 90's trilogy on Blu-Ray.......but the subtitles blend in with the backgrounds.

Eventually I got them all....with good subtitles and uncut.....and I was happy......

But this series....this series hurt me....and wanted to keep on hurting me. It left me as I left it....buried alive.......buried alive.

...GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

(Gameraaaaaaaa, Gameraaaaaaaaaa....hirohito GAMERA)

edit: it should be noted the first time I tried to watch Gamera The Brave via youtube, the subtitles were all in a foreign language.......Gamera hates me
So,being the resident Gamera expert here,what's YOUR opinion of the "Kenny Phenomenon "? I'm thinking the Giant turtle somehow linkes itself to the most Annoying and attention grabbing little punk(s) it can find in the area,just so it can either fuck with the Adults(remember,it dislikes humanity,but has a soft spot for children).....
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Well, it's because those movies cater to kids so they use kids in them :D

in universe, I think he's psychically sensitive (which they kinda get with in the Heisei era). He may not much like humanity as a whole because in general he picks up the worst in humans ya know like war or greed or the like....which is sort of like the monsters he fights. But he picks up on kids singularly or in a small group and sort of feels more positive vibes coming off of them. The kids he's around are usually innocent or well intentioned or sympathetic because they're put upon in the world. He hones in on it, but it's not always so focused because let's face it, he had to kill thousands of kids in the first Gamera movie anyway when he attacked the various cities there.

But the children are our future (unless we stop them now). And Gamera digs that.

It sorta goes back to an old theory I had in my old Merged Universe stomping grounds, that alot of kaiju like Gamera and the Kongs were mass produced in ancient Lemuria and were psychically directed by humans, but over time that's slowly faded to where it's just like an instinctive thing in the remainder of the species. Gamera protects kids, Kong digs the ladies (particularly blondes), etc., etc, and of course etc.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: The Giant Claw

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:53 am Image

THE GIANT CLAW
Role:
Background Monster, Totally Not My Roc Build With The Growth Changed and a Force Field Added
First Appearance: "The Giant Claw" (1957)
Size: 45 meters (150 feet)
PL 12 (170)

-The Giant Claw is a legendarily bad "Z Movie" from 1957, featuring the worst Monster Puppet design known to man. It's a giant bird that sports an anti-matter shield, which is taken down by an isotope, allowing the monster to be killed. Bill Warren of The New York Times commented, "This would have been an ordinarily bad movie of its type, with a good performance by Jeff Morrow, if the special effects had been industry standard for the time. That, however, is not what happened. The Claw is not just badly rendered, it is hilariously rendered, resembling nothing so much as Warner Bros. cartoon-character Beaky Buzzard. Once seen, you will never forget this awesomely silly creation". Wikipedia says that Morrow later confessed in an interview that no one in the film knew what the titular monster looked like until the film's premiere. Morrow himself first saw the film in his hometown, and hearing the audience laugh every time the monster appeared on screen, he left the theater early, embarrassed that anyone there might recognize him (he allegedly went home and began drinking).

-I can't really build the thing- I have no idea how big it is, but it's apparently invincible thanks to a Force Field that required a special radioactive isotope to bring down.
James Rolfe of the Angry Video Game Nerd fame actually did a review of the movie, touching on many of the same points you did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf5hYXN3mIc&t=168s

You know, which how hard everyone else is acting in the movie,it makes me wonder if you couldn't just edit the scenes with the monster out and edit anything else in and it wouldn't make for a better movie.

You can find the full movie here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zBllkB04TI
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I've been saying that for over a decade now.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

You know, which how hard everyone else is acting in the movie,it makes me wonder if you couldn't just edit the scenes with the monster out and edit anything else in and it wouldn't make for a better movie.
Off-topic, but I've always wanted to do this with the old Star Trek: The Animated Series; Most of the episodes are decent and a handful of them are actually really good. You've also got most of the original series Star Trek cast reprising their roles. Replace the extremely dated nearly still frame Filmation art with modern, more lively animation and you'd have a classic.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Pacific Rim

Post by Jabroniville »

PACIFIC RIM:
-Pacific Rim was a pretty kick-ass movie. While I wasn't in love with it like many others were, and I found the fight scenes a little too same-y and easily-won, it contained a lot of memorable scenes- more than you usually get in Big Dumb Action Movies. Featuring very few stars (Idris Elba was then just off of The Wire, and was really more for Cinema Snobs to recognize), it didn't do overly well in the West, but proved popular enough overseas that it got a sequel. I liked the platonic relationship between the main guy and the Japanese girl, the interpersonal stuff, Elba showing so much charisma he overwhelmed the other actors, and the general plot thread about how Raleigh piloted a Jaeger by himself- a near-impossibility that nearly killed him, lost his brother ("I felt his pain. His FEAR..."), and more. It kept it from being Just Another Dumb Action Movie, even though it's basically "Aliens are sending monsters to kill us, so we built giant robots to fight them". Man, I got a stiffy just from TYPING that...
Jabroniville

Gipsy Danger

Post by Jabroniville »

GIPSY DANGER (Class-3 Jaeger)
Role:
Super-Heroic Kaiju-Fighter
Size: 79 meters (260 feet)
PL 15 (173)
STRENGTH
22 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -- AWARENESS -- PRESENCE --

Skills:
None

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Kaiju-Sized"
Growth 20 (Str & Toughness +20, +20 Mass, +10 Intimidation, -10 Dodge/Parry, +2 Speed, -20 Stealth) -- (250 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [41]

"Machine"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 29) [30]
Speed +2 (30 mph) [2]

"Giant-Size Smash" Damage 15 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (45) -- [47]
  • AE: "Rocket-Powered Punch" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Chain Whips" Penetrating on Strength-Damage (22)
"I-19 Plasmacaster" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [41]
Blast 24 (Feats: Ranged 3, Split) (Extras: Penetrating 16) (67 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+22 Damage, DC 37)
Giant Smash +15 Area (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Rocket-Punch +6 (+24 Damage, DC 39)
Plasmacaster +6 (+24 Ranged Damage, DC 39)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +22 (+15 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
Power Loss (All Functions Require Pilots)- Gipsy Danger is a piloted robot, and requires two pilots moving in synch with each other to function.

Total: Abilities: -54 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 191 / Defenses: 23 (173)

-Here's Gipsy Danger- the "hero" of the film and central Jaeger. I made it PL 15, similar to the Showa-Era Kaiju of the Godzilla franchise, as it's powerful, but still limited. The durability is noticeably not that great, as Kaiju routinely rip limbs off. It's almost a finesse fighter compared to the other things in the series, though. I find the name of the Jaeger rather strange, though- "Gipsy" isn't an inherently impressive-sounding word, and is an outdated term sometimes (but not always) used as a pejorative slur. Like... ANY OTHER NAME could have worked just as well. It's named after a kind of WWII jet engine.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

According to the background materials for the film, every nation that has Pacific Ocean coastline built a Jaeger, but between the two films we only see a handful of them. The unseen Chilean Jaeger has possibly the coolest name of them all: Diablo Intercept.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

It's kind of nuts looking over the sizes of all these daikaijū whilst simultaneously building Warhammer 40,000's Superheavy Tanks and Titans. 40k's walking battle cathedrals are kind of infamous for being ridiculously huge and yet the largest of them, the Imperator- and Warmonger-class Titans top out at 55.5 metres (182') tall.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:34 am It's kind of nuts looking over the sizes of all these daikaijū whilst simultaneously building Warhammer 40,000's Superheavy Tanks and Titans. 40k's walking battle cathedrals are kind of infamous for being ridiculously huge and yet the largest of them, the Imperator- and Warmonger-class Titans top out at 55.5 metres (182') tall.

Love the fact Mothra's the Biggest Kaiju in the yard... :D
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

My Mothra's the biggest kaijū in the yard,
And they're like,
Its bigger than yours,
Damn right she's bigger than yours,
She can smash you,
With her butterfly charge.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:22 am My Mothra's the biggest kaijū in the yard,
And they're like,
Its bigger than yours,
Damn right she's bigger than yours,
She can smash you,
With her butterfly charge.
:lol: :lol: :lol: