Jab’s Builds! (Shingen! Leather & Lace! The Lunatic Legion!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
M4C8

Re: J2

Post by M4C8 »

Ares wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:20 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:46 pm Image

J2 (Zane Yama-Marko)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Ron Frenze
First Appearance: What If #105 (1998)

-Among the signature characters of the MC2-verse was J2, the second Juggernaut. It was a pretty solid idea- take one of the most popular villains of Marvel, one fans were always clamoring to see more of, and give him a legacy version in the future! They did a "Billy Batson" thing with him, having a juvenile gain the uber-powers of the Juggernaut, but the '90s'd him up with the flannel jacked around the waist. Zane Yama-Marko is the son of the Juggernaut (who was now missing) and a Japanese-American woman, and not only appeared in A-Next, but got his own series, which also lasted twelve issues.

-During the course of his book, Zane finally discovers his father, trapped in another dimension by a guy called Nemesis- he reunites his parents, but then the book goes away. Oddly, to me, he's probably the most iconic MC2 character, despite Mayday being more important- maybe because his costume stands out so much? Very "90s Teenager" and all that. His schtick was that he was REALLY young- both being immature and kind of cowardly, unwilling to put himself in danger even though he was nearly invulnerable- a pretty good, realistic character trait- I mean, if you spent your whole life normal, then you're not gonna magically turn brave once you gain powers- your body is still all "OH NO DANGER- RUN AWAY!!!"
I actually kind of liked J2. They were clearly aping the old Spider-Man style-stories, but inverted it to where instead of having a kind-of-strong hero who was more well known for his agility and smarts, you had a guy with top tier strength/durability often facing situations where he needed to use Peter Parker style intelligence and creativity to win.

That "shirt around the waist" look was dated, but eventually his dad came back and he gave him that shirt back. With it gone, J2's outfit was actually a pretty cool update of the Juggernaut outfit.

And it was interesting that Zane early on got in over his head, and would sometimes panic. To be fair, his only real major panic moment was when he was going up against a pissed off Hulk, who was the first person Zane encountered who could really hurt him in Juggernaut mode. To his credit he did go back and throw himself fully into a fight against the Hulk, even noting that he was destined to lose it because the Hulk would eventually overpower him. Still, given the kid was able to trade punches with the Hulk pretty evenly for a while, J2 was definitely the powerhouse of the MC2 setting. Later books showed him evolving into a proper hero, and I'd say him and Spider-Girl were probably the most iconic of the series.

One thing I was never sure if they explained or not was that Zane would sometimes spontaneously revert back to his human form. It popped up several times early on, but I don't know what the explanation for it was. It didn't seem to happen once his dad returned to the mainstream universe, tho.

But yeah, I dug the twist on the Peter Parker concept by making him a Class 100 brick rather than an agile fighter, even if the Spider-Man powerset generally works better for that kind of hero.
I think his power shortages were due to him not having the full Juggernaut power, Cain retained some of that power also.
Last edited by M4C8 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

The Buzz

Post by Jabroniville »

THE BUZZ (Jack Jameson)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Ron Frenz
First Appearance: Spider-Girl #18 (March 2000)
Role: Powersuit Guy
PL 8 (114)
STRENGTH
2/7 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Athletics 2 (+4, +9 Suit)
Deception 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Evasion, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Human Fly Armor" (Flaws: Removable) (Feats: Restricted 2- Bonded to Jack) [46]
Enhanced Strength 5 (10)
Protection 5 (5)
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
"360 Degree Vision Goggles" Senses 1 (Radius Sight) (1)
"Fly Paper- Adhesive Polymer" Snare 8 (24) -- (25)
  • AE: "Bug Zapper" Electrical Blast 8 (16)
-- (55 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Bullets & Missiles +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3 (+8 Armor), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Reputation (Murderer)- J. Jonah Jameson has accused the mysterious Buzz of killing "Buzz" Bannon, who was supposed to pilot the suit.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 46 / Defenses: 8 (114)

-Mayday Parker was really a chip off the old block- not only does she share her father's entire power-set, but her entire supporting cast gains powers, too! Jack Jameson is the grandson of J. Jonah Jameson, and the son of John "Man-Wolf" Jameson. Appearing similar to Yellowjacket, he is also known as The Buzz- he put on a Battlesuit after some industrial espionage at his grandpa's company went awry, carrying on for his friend Buzz, who was meant to be the original pilot. He met up with Spider-Girl, and the two formed the new New Warriors together. He received a Limited Series a long time ago.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Wild Thing

Post by Jabroniville »

WILD THING (Rina Logan)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Ron Lim
First Appearance: J2 #5 (1999)
Group Affiliations: X-Students, Young X-Men, Weapon Plus Program, X-Force, The Facility, Avengers Academy
Role: Legacy Character
PL 9 (157)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 7
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+13)
Athletics 9 (+11)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Survival) 3 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+7)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 7 (+10)
Stealth 5 (+12)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Defensive Roll, Diehard, Evasion, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Claws), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Languages (English, French, Japanese), Move-By Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Prone Fighting, Ranged Attack 2, Takedown 2, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Regenerative Healing Factor"
"Healing Factor" 
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [9]
Immunity 3 (Aging, Disease, Poison) [3]
"Animal Senses" Senses 9 (Acute, Extended & Accurate Scent, Extended Vision & Hearing, Low-Light Vision, Tracking 2- Scent) [9]

"Psi-Claws" Damage 6 (Extras: Will-Based) (Feats: Split) [13]

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Psi-Claws +12 (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +11

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Wolverine & Elektra)- Rina is close to her father in particular.
Reputation (Dangerous)- Other heroes give Rina a wide berth.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 34 / Defenses: 13 (157)

-Oh, come on- this is SO DUMB. A skinny, long-haired, teenage FEMALE WOLVERINE? Who's ever gonna buy a book about THAT?

-Wild Thing, sharing a name with the unpopular Marvel UK character from the early '90s (who is actually the GRANDDAUGHTER of Wolverine), is the daughter of Wolverine and... Elektra? Well that's an odd choice, but a valid one, I guess. They must have hooked up shortly after Mayday was born, given the ages of the characters (actually, Spider-Girl and the MC2-verse in general seems to imply that everyone began breeding RIGHT after the Spider-Baby popped out, given the ages of most characters). Appearing in the J2 book, Rina "Wild Thing" Logan got her own comic, but low sales killed it after five issues. She was a typically-unpopular kid, but when Wolverine came to pick her up from school, everyone realized there was something special about her. She fought Magneta (jesus, REALLY?) and a few others, and is a bit of an exile in the superhero community, thought to be dangerous.

-Wild Thing is a whole lot easier to build since I already have an X-23 build, and she's basically the same thing, except her "Claws" are take-offs of Psylocke's gimmick, since she trained with her Aunt Betsy. She can apparently concentrate deeply enough to cut through solid objects as well, but this seems like a "Hero Point" kind of a deal.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scots Dragon

Re: Wild Thing

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:02 pm -Oh, come on- this is SO DUMB. A skinny, long-haired, teenage FEMALE WOLVERINE? Who's ever gonna buy a book about THAT?
Just about the only reason I stopped was that All-New Wolverine got interrupted with a fucking Civil War 2 tie-in and I basically just hit the point where I'd had enough of Marvel's repeated ALL EVENT COMICS ALL THE TIME IN EVERY BOOK EVER EVERY SIX MONTHS! bullshit and never looked back.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Jabroniville

Push

Post by Jabroniville »

PUSH (Nancy Lu)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Pal Olliffe
First Appearance: Spider-Girl #23 (Aug. 2000)
Role: School Rival, Telekinetic
PL 6 (84)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+7)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Athletics) 3 (+7) -- Uses Dex
Perception 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Throwing Stuff) 4 (+8)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages: 
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Telekinesis" Move Object 5 (Feats: Precise) [11]
Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Prejudice (Mutant)- Nancy's powers are eventually found out, and she is targeted by racists.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 21 / Defenses: 8 (84)

-A supporting character in Spider-Girl, Nancy Lu was a basketball player who used her telekinetic powers to cheat- May "Spider-Girl" Parker figured her out and passive-aggressively was all "I hope you're not using your powers for personal gain!", but, upon realizing that she was doing that herself (her Spider-Agility made playing in basketball games unfair), quit playing as well. Nancy then moved to Mayday's school and began dating Jack Jameson- Mayday's crush- thus throwing a wrinkle into that story. Initial jealousy soon gave way to the two becoming friends, but Nancy soon exposed her mutant nature publicly- after her house gets vandalized, she joins the... ugh... "X-People".

-Nancy later reappears as "Push", still in training. The two girls teamed up to fight a Magneto imposter, getting both in trouble (Jubilee had forbidden extracurricular fighting, while Spider-Girl was told by Mainframe of the Avengers not to engage "Magneto" without back-up). Push makes one more appearance after that.

-Push is a trainee Telekinetic, being pretty solid in a fight for an amateur, but well below the point of a major super-hero. Unlike most mutant TK-types, she has no Telepathic powers, nor a gigantic power-level- she is usually only shown throwing filing cabinets around.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:02 pm Image

WILD THING (Rina Logan)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Ron Lim
First Appearance: J2 #5 (1999)
Group Affiliations: X-Students, Young X-Men, Weapon Plus Program, X-Force, The Facility, Avengers Academy
Role: Legacy Character
PL 9 (157)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 7
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+13)
Athletics 9 (+11)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Survival) 3 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+7)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 7 (+10)
Stealth 5 (+12)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Defensive Roll, Diehard, Evasion, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Claws), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Languages (English, French, Japanese), Move-By Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Prone Fighting, Ranged Attack 2, Takedown 2, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Regenerative Healing Factor"
"Healing Factor" 
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [9]
Immunity 3 (Aging, Disease, Poison) [3]
"Animal Senses" Senses 9 (Acute, Extended & Accurate Scent, Extended Vision & Hearing, Low-Light Vision, Tracking 2- Scent) [9]

"Psi-Claws" Damage 6 (Extras: Will-Based) (Feats: Split) [13]

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Psi-Claws +12 (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +11

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Wolverine & Elektra)- Rina is close to her father in particular.
Reputation (Dangerous)- Other heroes give Rina a wide berth.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 34 / Defenses: 13 (157)

-Oh, come on- this is SO DUMB. A skinny, long-haired, teenage FEMALE WOLVERINE? Who's ever gonna buy a book about THAT?
-Wild Thing, sharing a name with the unpopular Marvel UK character from the early '90s (who is actually the GRANDDAUGHTER of Wolverine), is the daughter of Wolverine and... Elektra? Well that's an odd choice, but a valid one, I guess. They must have hooked up shortly after Mayday was born, given the ages of the characters (actually, Spider-Girl and the MC2-verse in general seems to imply that everyone began breeding RIGHT after the Spider-Baby popped out, given the ages of most characters). Appearing in the J2 book, Rina "Wild Thing" Logan got her own comic, but low sales killed it after five issues. She was a typically-unpopular kid, but when Wolverine came to pick her up from school, everyone realized there was something special about her. She fought Magneta (jesus, REALLY?) and a few others, and is a bit of an exile in the superhero community, thought to be dangerous.

-Wild Thing is a whole lot easier to build since I already have an X-23 build, and she's basically the same thing, except her "Claws" are take-offs of Psylocke's gimmick, since she trained with her Aunt Betsy. She can apparently concentrate deeply enough to cut through solid objects as well, but this seems like a "Hero Point" kind of a deal.
well if all of this was born out of Onslaught, then I can see it. Logan and Elektra seemed to be around each other a little then
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Ed! Kolin! Menat! Stinger! American Dream! Mainframe!

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:24 am
Ares wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:13 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:33 am
Yeah, I totally forgot that fact, but Duane was... kind of goofy-looking and rather old in appearance. Near as I can tell, the only thing he has in common with Monica is skin color. Though I guess it's no worse a "huh?" pairing than Wolverine & Elektra.
Logan and Elektra makes a LITTLE more sense to me. Both of them have that fascination with Japanese culture, both of them struggle with their inner demons, both of them are fighters who are more willing to kill, etc. If anything, Logan has a lot of the nobility and brooding that Matt Murdock has, only Elektra would likely see Logan as less repressed and more "free". And with Logan having a thing for strong women, that really doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.
This is pretty much what I meant when I said that the MC2 was set in precise moment of Earth 616 continuity (i.e. more or less around Onslaught) and some of the stories pushed really hard to include elements from that particular era.
Interesting- I keep forgetting that the timeline of MC2 corresponds almost exactly to "Late '90s Marvel", which means a lot of things cross over like that.

I remember BatgirlIII telling everyone that the local bookstores had a ton of recurring readers of Mayday's book, and it was one of the most popular books for younger girls- a lack of intensive continuity (or just sufficient "backstory pages") made it new-reader-friendly so that more than obsessive back-readers could figure out everything.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Kolin! Menat! American Dream! Mainframe! J2!)

Post by Jabroniville »

EDMONTON COMIC EXPO (Part One):
(Lol this was going to be a short-ish thing, but then it turned into one of these monster-essays, so I'll have to split it up in parts)

Just got back from another one of these, and it was pretty solid. It's really the same show every year, even with the same booths, so nothing too exciting goes down :).

* Finally got to talk to Larry Hama for a sec, since he was drawing at the table instead of like six feet from it, but he's not a very chatty guy. I asked him what the most annoying character they insisted he put in G.I. Joe was, and he was just like "I don't really think about that kind of stuff". When I brought up some short-lived guys, like Sgt. Slaughter, he was all "there's not really much you can do with Sgt. Slaughter, though" and added that he was glad they at least dropped the Iraqi thing (his WWF angle where he became a Saddam sympathizer at mega-heel World Champion).

His booth has a funny, sarcastic bit of an "FAQ", featuring snarky responses to those questions he always gets ("Why is your old stuff better?" "It's not"), and demanding that people check to see if he knows a character before they write down a name on the "To-Draw List".

Despite it being the 35th anniversary of the modern G.I. Joe franchise (ie. the '80s one), there weren't really any toys around. Kind of odd.

* Bob Budiansky was there, and I was thinking "I don't know who that is" but it turns out he was the main editor behind the MARVEL CARDS, so I was suddenly way into meeting that dude. When I told him that's what got me INTO comics (I didn't bring up this thread, but it is 100% responsible for this, too), he said he gets told that alot. He says the "Power Ratings" idea came from Marvel Bio-Books that I'd never read. And apparently the Series III "Starfield" designs link up in a 10x10 panel (that always bugged me- cards linked up side-by-side, but I couldn't figure out how to match the bottoms until adulthood, and they don't fit like that in a binder!). He brought up the Aunt May card that listed stats like "Pies Baked"- the Cards were based off of baseball cards at the time (hence all the stats), but all of the Wins & Losses were just made up garbage (god, I always wondered that). And apparengtly the cards were a HUGE hit, and did good business until the market fell out.

* Jim Steranko of all people was there, and he is HILARIOUSLY short in person. Like, I'm 5'9" and I could rest my chin comfortably on the top of his head. He's super-tanned, has snow-white hair, big fake teeth and sunglasses on indoors- it's a bit of a funny picture. Total comic book legend, of course. His booth was by far the biggest of any comic guy.

* Fabian Nicieza was there, and had a huge line- bigger than any comics pro. Despite him charing ten bucks for each autograph (!). His booth says "Creator of Deadpool", and all of his stuff was Wade-related, explaining the line. I didn't wait in it, but I went to his panel, which was very fun- he tells stories about the early pranks at Marvel- when a young Kurt Busiek (apparently pronounced "BYOO-sick", so I've been mispronouncing THAT my whole life- oddly, I got "Nih-see-YAY-zah" correct) was making a pitch all nervous-like, the office pranked him by waiting thirty seconds (just enough time to get into the groove of a pitch) before sending in a new person with important business ("OH sorry, Kurt, but I just need this signed off on right now!" over and over again, until he was flustered to the point of fury. They confessed it the next day and bought his pitch for some Iron Man thing :). Fabian also tells of how his hair-loss resulted in a gag where the office were cutting off pieces of their own hair and leaving it around him so he'd think he was losing it constantly.

He gave a bit of his history- majoring in Communications and working in various offices for years (one hiring guy told him that the industry was incestuous and contantly moving- "if you're still at this job in six months, either you suck or *I* suck"), before finally landing at Marvel- he always looked for the higher paychecks in office work. The office was pretty awful at first, with every department hating every other department, but he and some other newbies made friends and started going out drinking, which helped the office meld a little better once others got involved. "And when Jim Shooter was removed as Editor-In-Chief, it let out a lot of the air out of the balloon" of office angst that was going around.

He worked his ass off so hard in those early years, because in marketing and advertising there was a ton to do (he Edited the "Star Comics" line for a while, and had to constantly deal with Mattel altering their own licensing department, so he had to fly to California three times a year to train a whole new crew on how comics worked- "No, we can't just use your same six images of Barbie in every comic- I have five or six panels per page"). He admits that it was good for his career, but he worked SO MUCH (four hours of sleep a night) that he couldn't ever stop and enjoy it, so it just blew by.

The New Warriors: He's often quoted as saying the first years of that book were the thing he's most proud of in his career- he explained that it might not be the most well-WRITTEN exactly (he's his own toughest critic), but it's what the book MEANT to him. It was his first regular series, and there were ZERO expectations at the office for that book to succeed- that it started doing well within its first year was a huge pride moment for him, and it basically made his career- he got the X-Books based off of that.

When asked "which character did you feel you didn't get the most out of", he explained that he cycled them around enough to get the most out of them, but admitted that Namorita in the first couple years got NOTHING, largely because "John Byrne was using her on Namor" and there was "tension" there. The smirk on his face let everyone know pretty much immediately just how that probably went down, especially when the Communications Major brought up "Editorial Intervention", and how "even in my early thirties, I knew how the industry worked, how PEOPLE worked, and how people like THAT worked". Hence, a couple years of Namorita doing nothing, before he finally got his teeth into it and started messing with her.

He feels that Firestar had the LEAST to do, but only because of her passive personality not making her proactive. Then he says "She was the most powerful member of the team, so of course Marvel de-powered her after I left, because they're afraid of powerful female characters".

Regarding the Deadpool and Cable book, he confesses that he was out of work when he got that assignment, and hung up the phone going "how in the HELL am I going to get THAT to work?" Cable fans hated Deadpool, Deadpool fans hated Cable, and the two characters hated each other. It took him a year on the book to figure it out, but he ultimately realized that the two were very desperately lonely people, and kind of needed each other.

He brings up how Editorial is different now- you can't screw around like they did in their day. He brings up how comics suck now, and the reason why is because "Each editor only had about five or six books in my day, and THAT was a lot- nowadays each editor probably has fifteen to eighteen books PER MONTH", so there's no quality control and too much is being released. And like many industry pros I've heard speak, he mentions how button-down and businesslike things are there compared to the "fun days" of office pranks and goofiness (he mentions everyone in the office wearing cut-outs of a local newscaster's face as masks in some black & white film, leading to 6'8" Jim Shooter walking in wearing the same).

He actually brought up something I've heard John Byrne mention- about how you don't need to create new characters, because as Gruenwald told him, "The sandbox is so huge right now, why add to it? Why not just take something that's not working, and make it better?"

Fabian also brought up the Image X-Odus, when someone asked him about it. He pointed out that the office understood their reasoning, and actually wanted them to have success. BUT... the X-artists deliberately bailed on the company at the worst possible time, choosing to draw out their departure right before the next big event, in a clear attempt to hurt Marvel and help themselves, leaving the new creative teams to work on The X-Cutioner's Song alone.

Apparently Wolverine losing the Adamantium was Peter David's idea at the "writer's retreat". But he said it as more of a frustrated "Why the @#$! doesn't Magneto just TEAR HIS SKELETON OUT!? Instead of tossing him across the room like an idiot! That's what I'D do!", so he was surprised when the writers went with it. Larry Hama was apparently pissed, because it messed up his plans for Wolverine. But in the long run, it worked out, because they got years worth of storylines out of it.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

OH MY GOD... YOU GUYS!!! The Nostalgia Critic reviews A Goofy Movie!!!! And has the same conclusions I did!!!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TeBl6jOHtU

I like the bit where he points out "that strange moment where you realize that the movie's WORKING...". Max & Goofy's relationship is so perfect here. "I'm not your little boy anymore, dad! I've got my own LIFE now!" "I KNOW THAT! I just wanted to be a PART of it!" That's the moment where you realize that your heart breaks for FRIGGIN' GOOFY.
Jabroniville

Scarlet Spider (Felicity)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE SCARLET SPIDER II (Felicity Hardy)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Pat Olliffe
First Appearance: Spider-Girl #46 (May 2002)
Role: Wannabe Hero
PL 7 (77)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+12)
Athletics 6 (+7)
Deception 2 (+4)
Insight 2 (+2)
Investigation 6 (+6)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Web-Shooters" (Flaws: Removable) [14]
"Scarlet Screamers" Sonic Blast 8 (16) -- (17 points)
AE: "Smoke Bombs" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extras: Ranged, Attack) (8)

"Scarlet O'Nine Tails" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [4]
Snare 6 (Flaws: Limited to One Opponent) (6 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 17)
Scarlet Screamers +6 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Parents)- Felicity doesn't get along well with her mother (the former Black Cat), but likes her dad (Flash Thompson).

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 6 (77)

-A late creation in the Spider-Girl book, their Scarlet Spider is the daughter of Felicia Hardy and Flash Thompson. She was furious when Felicia left Flash for a female co-worker (!!!), and decided to piss mommy off by becoming a super-hero. She tried to be Spider-Girl's sidekick, but Mayday wisely refused. Felicity kept at it, annoying both May & Felicia, but quit when she was nearly killed by Kaine. She tried one more time (after Flash was fired from coaching the basketball team, since Mayday quit and they now sucked), but was nearly killed AGAIN, but a Cabal of Scriers member. She doesn't seem overly-good at the whole "hero" thing- she lacks both the wisdom and the talent for it.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Scots Dragon wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:49 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:02 pm -Oh, come on- this is SO DUMB. A skinny, long-haired, teenage FEMALE WOLVERINE? Who's ever gonna buy a book about THAT?
Just about the only reason I stopped was that All-New Wolverine got interrupted with a fucking Civil War 2 tie-in and I basically just hit the point where I'd had enough of Marvel's repeated ALL EVENT COMICS ALL THE TIME IN EVERY BOOK EVER EVERY SIX MONTHS! bullshit and never looked back.
Worst for this was Assault on Pleasant Hill, which interrupted 70% of the books I was reading for an extended period. And I actually liked the idea behind that one. Though Maria Hill as a nervous joker was bizarre.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:06 pm
Scots Dragon wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:49 pm
Worst for this was Assault on Pleasant Hill, which interrupted 70% of the books I was reading for an extended period. And I actually liked the idea behind that one. Though Maria Hill as a nervous joker was bizarre.
Seriously the best thing about DC Comics Rebirth is that there basically has not been a big setting-wide book interrupting event since the entire thing began, and it's been a solid fifteen months or so of decent storytelling. It's also largely been about heroes fighting villains rather than bullshit heroic infighting, which helps.

I'm no longer reading Marvel at all. At least, not contemporary Marvel. They're a fucking petty, vindictive shitshow run by petty, vindictive arseholes and I have better places to direct my time and attention.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:57 am OH MY GOD... YOU GUYS!!! The Nostalgia Critic reviews A Goofy Movie!!!! And has the same conclusions I did!!!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TeBl6jOHtU

I like the bit where he points out "that strange moment where you realize that the movie's WORKING...". Max & Goofy's relationship is so perfect here. "I'm not your little boy anymore, dad! I've got my own LIFE now!" "I KNOW THAT! I just wanted to be a PART of it!" That's the moment where you realize that your heart breaks for FRIGGIN' GOOFY.
In my personal scale that comes just a a step lower than the moment when you realize that Goofy is actually a widower.

BTW, Disney comics are a pretty big deal in Italy, in no small part thanks to a many great writers and there are many stories where Goofy actually turns out to be smarter than he looks, or rather where you realize that he's not stupid, but his brain isn't wired like those of many other people.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Raptor

Post by Jabroniville »

RAPTOR (Brenda Drago)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Ron Frenze
First Appearance: Spider-Girl #18 (March 2000)
Role: Villain-Turned-Good
PL 8 (109)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Aerobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+7)

Advantages: 
Defensive Attack, Evasion, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Raptor Costume" (Flaws: Removable) [15]
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
"Razor-Sharp Wings" Strength-Damage +3 (3)
Protection 1 (1)
-- (18 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Wings +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+5 Costume), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibilty (Former Criminal)- Brenda was forced by her father into a life of crime, and is now wanted by some lawmen.
Relationship (Norman Osborn Jr.)- The two eventually marry.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 10 (109)

-A legacy of BLACKIE DRAGO of all people, Raptor was a criminal, but soon actually befriended Spider-Girl, soon joining her and The Buzz on the future's New Warriors team. She even got engaged to Normie Osborn. She was eventually blackmailed by someone into joining his squad of "reformed" criminals for a pardon, but Normie merged with the Venom Symbiote to get her release. She is later badly beaten by Roderick "Hobgoblin" Kingsley and left for dead, but later recovers and marries Osborn.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Darkdevil

Post by Jabroniville »

DARKDEVIL (Reilly Tyne)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Pat Olliffe
First Appearance: Spider-Girl #2 (Nov. 1998)
Role: Mysterious Ally
PL 9 (170)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletics 6 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Law) 8 (+12)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+7)

Advantages: 
Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Wall-Crawling" Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling) [2]
"Spider-Sense" Senses 1 (Danger Sense) [1]
"Demonic Form" Morph 1 [5]

"Demonic Traits"
"Flame Form" Fire Aura 6 (Feats: Selective) (25) -- [28]
  • AE: Teleport 8 (Extras: Accurate) (24)
  • AE: "Flaming Weapons" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split) (3)
  • AE: "Flaming Objects" Blast 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (18)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Burning Aura +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Flaming Weapons +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Demonic Traits)- Reilly has the stain of the demon Zarathos on him.

Total: Abilities: 88 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 12 (170)

-Darkdevil appears a lot in the Spider-Girl mythos- even I'VE seen the guy more than once! It turns out he's the mutant son of Ben Reilly (the Spider-Clone) and Elizabeth Tyne. He suffered clonal degredation inherited from his father, but was saved by Kaine, who summoned the demon Zarathos to possess the boy. However, the soul of Daredevil appeared, driving out the demon- both Matt Murdock's and Zarathos's souls left a taint on the boy, however. Thus, he became a Daredevil-ish Demon.

-Packing Daredevil-Lite onto Demon-Lite and combining them with some Spider-stuff, Darkdevil ends up pretty costly for a PL 9.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.