Jab’s Builds! (Sailor Lead Crow & Heavy Metal Papillon! Sailor Galaxia!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Sailor Mercury & Mars! Sailor Jupiter! Sailor Venus!)

Post by Batgirl III »

American children's animation had far more annoying "kid appeal" characters in the popular cartoons of the Eighties: Scrappy Doo, Snarf, Snarfer, Orko, Bubba the Cave-Duck, Godzooky, Marvin Wendy and Wonder-Dog... and so many many more.

Chibi-Usa's immaturity, selfishness, and annoying behaviors were at least acknowledge in the series as negative traits and she, eventually, grew out of it. Sailor Moon SuperS put too much focus on her at the expense of the rest of the ensemble, but she's not so annoying a character here as in her debut season.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
marcoasalazarm

Post by marcoasalazarm »

Ive seen some pretty cool art of a “grown-up” Godzooky. You think Godzilla stomping towards you is bad? Imagine him airdropping on your sorry face.

...that came out wrong.
sirjolt

Post by sirjolt »

Growing up in the 70's, two of my favorite shows were Star Blazers and Battle for the Planets. I missed out completely on Speed Racer earlier and Robotech later (both were on at strange times on the UHF stations that showed them in my area). My first "real" anime was when a friend of mine and I rented Akira while in college (92 or 93 it would have been). But it was Cartoon Network/Toonami in the late 90's that started the anime invasion for me. I worked 6:30 to 3:00 and got home just in time to watch Sailor Moon and Dragonball Z (I can't remember which was on first). Everything was dubbed initially but, starting in 2004, I took Japanese Language and Culture as night courses for a few years. After that, I really preferred to hear the original Japanese VA's (except for Dragonball Z; those original VA's were crap) and I bought the boxed sets for the various Sailor series. Sailor Jupiter was my favorite.
Jabroniville

Sailor Uranus & Neptune

Post by Jabroniville »

Art by Fabiohaz, Athena-Chan & k-Bose.

SAILOR URANUS & SAILOR NEPTUNE:
-So one of the most commonly-cited things about Sailor Moon S is the fact that we get two NEW recurring Sailors in the show- Uranus & Neptune! That we got almost 100 episodes in before Naoko started filling in the rest of the solar system is pretty bizarre, but man, did she ever knock it out of the park with these girls. And what's possibly MORE impressive is that even though they hit a crap-ton of "Mary Sue" tropes dead-center, they've gone on to become some of the most beloved and talked-about characters in the entire fandom! Never mind the fact that they're EASILY the most famous lesbian couple in anime history.

-Uranus & Neptune are given a HUGE push in the show- they are stated as being more powerful than the regular Sailors. Michiru is so beautiful and feminine that the girls are envious of her. Haruka is so tough, cool and capable that the girls are infatuated and obsessed. Boys flat-out state they're better-looking than the regular cast. They get cooler, newer attacks & transformation sequences. They spend their time lecturing the other Sailors and deriding their capabilities. The stage is set for them to be these horrible Mary Sues...

-But the show ALWAYS scales back from sending them over the edge. Primarily because their smug attitude and self-righteousness is treated as annoying IN-UNIVERSE, and also pointed out to be WRONG. The girls like their CIVILIAN identities, but they find Uranus & Neptune to be unhelpful, distant and needlessly cruel. Hell, in one of the very first episodes, they pretty much show up, play the "Tuxedo Mask" role in saving the girls... and then bail the second they find out there's no Talisman, leaving the other Sailors to face a dangerous foe by themselves! They're flat-out like "Don't get the wrong idea. We're only here for the Talismans". It's GREATS stuff, and keeps them from being these flawless wonders that overwhelm the show, even though they totally hot the spotlight for the first half.

Neptune & Uranus Debut:
-The girls debut, like I said, as "Tuxedo Mask" types, hitting their attacks from far away, making flowery statements, and then watching Sailor Moon finish off the Daimon (they handle only a few villains themselves). They are after the same Talismans the villains are, and check out the Heart Crystals (they cannot take them out; only capitalize on what the villains do), tossing them back if they're not what they're looking for. And often with a very cavalier, harsh attitude- Uranus in particular's usually like "ah, damn" about it. Even though it's stated that taking a Talisman out will KILL the person carrying it!

-This sets these two new, older Sailors up as rivals to the "Inner Senshi" (the Fan Nickname for Moon, Mars, Jupiter, Venus & Mercury). They're out to do something that will absolutely lead to the deaths of innocent people, and the Inners are upset over it- in an early episode, it turns into an actual physical fight. This marks the newbies as much harsher, much more ambiguous adversaries, even though they say they're out to prevent "The Silence", an apocalyptic assault on our world.

-Meanwhile, the Sailors' personal lives are shaken up by the mysterious arrival of these two new beauties- the feminine, perfect Michiru, and her tall, tough, cool "close friend", Haruka. The girls are aloof, but very friendly, to the girls, tolerating their presence, with Haruka (who dresses like a boy) openly flirting with them! Yet the two girls appear to be a couple, in ways that become more and more obvious with time.

-And so, pretty much every episode of the first half of Sailor Moon S deals with the girls doing something, then casually running into Haruka & Michiru, who appear with a flourish of "soft-cell lighting", and a chorus of "Ooooooooo-ohhhhhhhhhh... LAAAAAAAA-LAAAAAAAAA...". We're REALLY supposed to think these people are cool, to the point where Jupiter is obsessed with Haruka's toughness, and Usagi idolizes Michiru's flawless grace.

Stuff Accelerates:
-There's a lot of neat stuff here. We learn that Neptune & Uranus met because Michiru had a crush on Haruka (it's stated more ambiguously, but is still rather obvious), but soon discovered that Haruka was destined to be a Sailor like she herself was- Haruka refuses the call to action, and is chided for her selfishness by Neptune (who would LOVE to live a normal life). Ultimately, she breaks down when Neptune is attacked, and becomes Sailor Uranus. And the two make a great team, but also share a pact: to stop The Silence no matter what, even if it means sacrificing each other, or leaving the other one to die. They MUST stop it.

-And so, of course, things accelerate, but the girls are given very different personalities. Uranus is more casual and unforgiving than Neptune is, to the point where she chides Neptune for being happy when people she likes turn out NOT to be carrying Talismans- of course it's better if they survive, but they're on a MISSION here, and every time the Talisman doesn't appear, it means they're further from victory. Uranus & Sailor Moon are actually chained together at one point, and Uranus is prepared to leave Neptune to die- Usagi is mortified at Uranus's cruelty, but Uranus sees it as practical, though her obvious heartbreak is apparent.

-Things get even better when they have a final battle with Kaolinite- Usagi is almost certainly going to be killed, which leaves Neptune hestitant. "Are you sure you're okay with this, Haruka? She's... going to die...". Haruka answers "It can't be helped. In order to get the Holy Grail in order to save the world from The Silence... Bun-Head needs to be sacrificed!", but you see her just DIGGING her hands into the windshield as she says it. She KNOWS this is the best way in her heart... but it hurts. It seriously affects them both to be this way, which gives them layers to this seemingly-cavalier attitude about life.

-And OF COURSE it turns out that the very Talismans they're looking for belong to Haruka & Michiru themselves. But, in a GREAT bit, they actually REFUSE to abide by their pact, and repeatedly try to save each other from Eudial, who removes Neptune's Heart Crystal. Uranus removes her own in a suicidal attack, choosing to let Sailor Moon carry on without them... but they're all saved by the arrival of Sailor Pluto.

The New Status Quo:
-With the "Talisman" situation over (and humorously tossed aside, since not only were the "Big Mystery Talisman Holders" the people we'd already met, but removing the Talismans WASN'T FATAL AT ALL, so that moral debate was pointless. But now there's ANOTHER moral debate going on- the innocent little Hotaru Tomoe is actually The Messiah of Silence, and is fated to destroy the world. Uranus, Neptune & Pluto (their new partner) all decide that Hotaru must die, but the Inner Senshi (and Chibi-Usa, who's now befriended Hotaru) refuse. And this gets MUCH uglier, with the elder Sailors attempting to recruit Tuxedo Mask and try to get the others to avoid Hotaru entirely. And their cruel insistence also helps them from seeming "Too Perfect"- in the world of SAILOR MOON, this kind of cynical practicality just has no place, and makes them seem extra-mean.

-Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd of course the girls barely factor into the end of the season at all. Uranus & Neptune (and their inexplicable helicopter) are attacked and beaten by Mistress 9, but not before Sailor Moon blocks their attacks with her own body, saving Hotaru one final time. This seeminly dooms the world, but then the elder Sailors watch as Sailor Moon reveals herself to be the one, true Messiah (even though they were the ones telling the others... and the audience as "Word of God"... that Usagi COULDN'T have been the Messiah at all), and saves the universe along with the girl they were trying to kill (Hotaru is, of course, Sailor Saturn, and breaks free of Mistress 9's control and kills Pharaoh 90). And the girls have to be bitchy ONE LAST TIME, demanding that Sailor Moon engage them in a physical battle in order to "prove" she's worthy to be the Neo-Queen Serenity of the future, since they're still pissy that she risked the entire universe by saving Hotaru's life. But they just kind of smile, bow to her, and accept her rule in the end.

The End Result:
-The two characters are ALL OVER the first half of Sailor Moon S, as I think the directors just fell in love with them and their relationship SO MUCH. And while it can be annoying (especially as a fan of the Inner Senshi), they really ARE great characters, and really give the series a shot in the arm. It could have been SO disastrous to have them be super-capable, super-righteous, and super-correct. Or to just introduce two newbies into an already-ironclad friendship like the girls had developed over 90-odd episodes prior to this point. So it's a very great decision by the writers to make them skilled, but intensely flawed. Their cruelty, casual attitude towards human life, and their cynical outlook paints them as adversarial characters, and keeps them "apart" from the other girls. It also helps that the second half of the show takes a step back, and doesn't focus on them. Never mind the fact that they're proven wrong in the end, and are utterly useless in the final battle, being easily defeated and then watching as Sailors Moon & Saturn defeat the villains they were so afraid of, proving that goodness, mercy and friendship are more important that all that "cold practicality" nonsense.

-At the end of the season, Uranus & Neptune sort of say their goodbyes after one last attempt at bitchiness, and go on their merry way. Still being High School students, though we never SEE ANYONE IN CLASS, they disappear from the series at this point, skipping out entirely on Sailor Moon SuperS, the subsequent season (which is generally considered the weakest by most).
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I have been waiting weeks to post this meme.
marcoasalazarm

Post by marcoasalazarm »

I am pretty sure I was the only kid in my school that didn’t cared about DBZ when I was growing up. As if I needed more reasons to be bullied.
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

Everyone's favourite pair of 'cousins'
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:04 pm Image

I have been waiting weeks to post this meme.
lol, nice.
Jabroniville

Haruka & Michiru Through the Years

Post by Jabroniville »

Uranus & Neptune in Sailor Stars:
-They reappear for the final season, Sailor Stars, where their ruthlessness gets shown AGAIN, as they attempt to play "Double Agent", slaughtering their closest allies (Sailors Pluto & Saturn) to "join" Sailor Galaxia. They then spend an entire episode attacking Sailor Moon and the Starlights, are made to engage in a final assault... and in a FANTASTIC moment, their Signature Song plays, both women turn on Galaxia (something she thought impossible- "I never thought there would be someone who could resist my bracelets' control. In this vast universe I've never met Guardians quite like you"), and one-shot her with the Star Seed Extractors! A sure kill, and Galaxia is pained... but then nothing happens. Because she REMOVED her own Star Seed centuries ago! And with their last ditch effort failed, Haruka & Michiru realize they betrayed all their friends for nothing! Galaxia removed their bracelets, dooming them to certain death, and they can only lie there, contemplating how they're both "damned to Hell" for their actions, Neptune utterly broken. But still they find the energy to link hands one last time, fading away ("The light feels warm, doesnt it?") and the lovers die together, more casualties of Galaxia. Those two and their hands, I just can't...

-And after all that, only Sailor Moon's goodness AGAIN can save the day- they congratulate her in the end when all of the Star Seeds return and the Sailors come back to life, and we learn once more that their hard, deadly way of life is not the true path. This kind of merciless, cruel way of life makes them truly fascinating, more of a "Sixth Ranger" that's truly into the "Shades of Grey" mentality than even the most hardcore "Lancer"-type "Dark Hero" characters. Most of THEM don't turn on and murder innocent people just to get one shot at an unsuspecting enemy.

Haruka in Sailor Stars:
-By Sailor Stars, half the dialogue Uranus & Neptune get seems to be specifically designed to challenge the censors. Like EVERY OTHER LINE is about as blunt as "Tonight... we FUCK", but like... all artsy and shit. When Michiru saves Haruka from falling, she struggles and says "I said to cut back on the sweets"- Haruka responds with "Save the pillow talk for when we're in bed"!!! When the Three Lights show up, she's distant, but takes an IMMEDIATE dislike to Seiya when he hits on Michiru following a joint concert. Kind of hilarious that Haruka is the jealous one, given how often she flirts with other girls. And this extends to their super-powered personas as well- Uranus, who spent all of Sailor Moon S treating the Inner Sailors like shit for being unable to hold a candle to them, mind you, is suddenly like "HOW DARE THESE NEWBIES SHOW UP AND DISRESPECT YOU!" and mistrusting them because they're new and unknown.

-Later, Haruka & Michiru engage in their most MASTER-CLASS example of P.D.A., as Michiru drags Haruka off after warning Usagi not to let the wolf "devour" her- Haruka: "Be more gentle", Michiru: "Maybe when we're alone". This is probably the most infamous example of "YUP- THESE TWO BONE" to the fandom. There's a great bit in the "The Entire Cast Shows Up At Usagi's House" where the two show up, owing to being nearby with car trouble, and it's complicated by Haruka's hatred of Seiya. But now THAT gets hilariously awkward, as Haruka reads passive-aggressively, Usagi points out that "Haruka doesn't like GUYS", but Michiru corrects her "Haruka doesn't like POPULAR guys", sending Haruka's annoyance through the roof.

Michiru in Sailor Stars:
-Neptune being paired off with Mars is pretty funny, and establishes why people think she's such a Mary Sue- Rei's big thing is using psychic powers and energy detection... and Michiru can do the same thing, but BETTER THAN REI. She's like Bulrog in that South Park episode. When the Three Lights show up, Michiru gets booked to do a joint concert with them... with a WHITE EVENING GOWN WITH SHOULDER-LENGTH GLOVES, Y'ALL! Seiya promptly flirts with her, attracted to the mystery of her personality, and her joking about how his fans might go crazy on her. She takes it in good humor, but Haruka... is less impressed. Michiru politely leads him on and teases him, at which point HARUKA shows up and is immediately jealous. Michiru is unapologetic and like "oh, JEALOUS?", too, while Seiya just cracks wise ("you really had me going, Michiru"). Haruka mutters "get the hell out" at Seiya and he coolly takes his leave. That whole interaction was great fun, and very unsual for the show- most people flirt in a one-sided nature- with a confident aggressor and a blushing recipient- real Shoujo shit. This was straight-up "two cool, confident equals" in a contest of words.

The Lesbian Thing:
-Easily the most famous aspect of the two characters, of course, is the unambiguous fact that they are IN LOVE. A fairly common trope in Shoujo Manga, "Girls Love" becomes an important factor in their relationship, as they spend all their time with each other, playfully teasing when Haruka flirts with other girls, but being SUPER-romantic and introspective when they're alone (there's a fantastic shot of them talking about how close they are, while their fingers are seen repeatedly intertwining). They stand as the most famous gay couple in anime history, particularly since it's in one of the "Big Animes" that fully introduced Japan's animation industry to the world in the 1990s. Sailor Moon was in the same breath as Dragon Ball Z, which, while more popular, didn't have lesbians as MAJOR CHARACTERS.

-This of course caused issues with translations, particularly in America, which tried to pass them off as "Cousins", Amara and Michelle. Despite that, the translators couldn't just ignore all the later stuff, so in episodes where they prove to be the ideal couple in a "Couples Contest", talk about how much they need and care for each other, etc... they just come off as lesbian COUSINS, engaged in a relationship despite now sharing blood relations! That kind of clumsy dubbing is part of why the Original Dub gets so much hate.
Davies

Post by Davies »

They actually do show up in part of one extra-long special episode of the SuperS season, though they're off doing their own thing and don't interact with the rest of the group in that story. It does show them getting a bit of character development ... sort of. Basically, a Lemures possessing a ventriloquist's dummy shows up to take Haruka hostage, and tells Michiru that if she attacks him, she'll break a jar he's holding that, if broken, will cause shadows all over the world to attack people

Michiru unhesitatingly breaks the jar.

Ventriloquist: How? How did you know I was bluffing?
Michiru: Oh, you were bluffing?
Ventriloquist: Wha -- you -- you did this just to save her? What kind of heroine are you?!
Michriru: A world without Haruka is hardly worth saving.
Ventriloquist: No, what?

So it's disturbing, but it's kind of progress from "We'll sacrifice anything, even each other, to save the world!" On the other hand, there's some progress in other ways in that, after finding out that weird supernatural stuff is happening again, they do not go rushing back to Tokyo, but trust the Inners to deal with it effectively. So.
I'm not fourteen hundred years old! I've been sixteen years old fourteen hundred times, but I'm definitely not fourteen hundred years old! If you can't get that through your skull, I'm divorcing you!
Tsukasa Tsukuyomi, in
Fly Me to the Moon, by Kenjiro Hata
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The censorship of the sexual relationships in the original Sailor Moon localization hit Haruka and Michiru hard, but it also hit Usagi and Mamaru, Kunzite and Zoisite, and others. But, I can understand why they did it... It's easy to look back at it from this side of the millennium and want to scream "Homophobia!" but I think that's an overly simplistic reading of the situation. When DIC brought the first two seasons of the show to North America, it was 1995. Ellen DeGeneres was still in the closet, George Michael was still in the closet, the United States military had just adopted the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy (Department of Defense Directive 1304.26) and this was seen a major positive advancement for LGBT rights.

But, I also think that the changes weren't about hiding Kunzite and Zoisite's gay relationship or Haruka and Michiru's lesbian relationship. I think it was a simple matter of wanting to cut out sexuality from a children's show altogether. Remember, they censored Usagi and Mamaru too! It was rare for children's programing to feature romantic couples at all and damn rare to show them doing anything like kissing or even hugging. When Tommy and Kimberly kissed in the thirty-fifth(!) episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers it was like the most chaste thing ever... and even that caused controversy! There wouldn't be another kiss on a Power Rangers series until Mystic Force thirteen seasons later!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:01 am They actually do show up in part of one extra-long special episode of the SuperS season, though they're off doing their own thing and don't interact with the rest of the group in that story. It does show them getting a bit of character development ... sort of. Basically, a Lemures possessing a ventriloquist's dummy shows up to take Haruka hostage, and tells Michiru that if she attacks him, she'll break a jar he's holding that, if broken, will cause shadows all over the world to attack people

Michiru unhesitatingly breaks the jar.

Ventriloquist: How? How did you know I was bluffing?
Michiru: Oh, you were bluffing?
Ventriloquist: Wha -- you -- you did this just to save her? What kind of heroine are you?!
Michriru: A world without Haruka is hardly worth saving.
Ventriloquist: No, what?

So it's disturbing, but it's kind of progress from "We'll sacrifice anything, even each other, to save the world!" On the other hand, there's some progress in other ways in that, after finding out that weird supernatural stuff is happening again, they do not go rushing back to Tokyo, but trust the Inners to deal with it effectively. So.
Oh yeah, I wrote that before seeing SuperS and didn't notice it before editing.
Jabroniville

Sailor Neptune

Post by Jabroniville »

Art by Maryneim & Hugmedeadly.

SAILOR NEPTUNE (Michiru Kaioh)
Dub Name:
Michelle
Role: The Ultra-Feminine One, The Ideal Princess, The Boring One
Main Fuku Colour: Dark Blue & Turquoise
Elemental Alignment: Water
Hair Colour: Turquoise
PL 11 (166)
STRENGTH
2/3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6, +8)
Athletics 4 (+6, +8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+12)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Music) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Art) 6 (+10)
Insight 4 (+8)
Perception 3 (+7)
Persuasion 3 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Neptune Attacks) 3 (+10)
Vehicles 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Beginner's Luck, Benefit (Wealth), Diehard, Equipment (Communicator), Evasion, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Takedown, Teamwork

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Movement 1 (Safe Fall) [2]

"Submarine Reflection!" Blast 12 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Penetrating 8) (Flaws: Source- Deep Aqua Mirror) (22) -- [24]
  • AE: "Weakness Reveal" Super-Senses 5 (Detect Weakness, Ranged, Acute, Analytical) (Flaws: Source- Deep Aqua Mirror) (3)
  • AE: "Deep Submerge!" Blast 10 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) (22)
"Bad Dreams & Visions" Senses 4 (Precognition) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [2]
Senses 1 (Dark Energy Detection) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Unarmed Senshi +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Deep Submerge +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Submarine Reflection +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +9

Complications (Early):
Power Loss (All Powers)- Sailor Senshi must be able to gesture and speak freely to use their powers. If they are Bound or Snared, they cannot use their attacks easily.
Normal Identity (Kaioh Michiru, Without Power Stick)
Responsibility (Sailor Senshi)- The Senshi are forced to fight evil.
Responsibility (Schooling)
Secret (Identity)- The Senshi must not reveal their identities to the world at large, nor their villains.
Enemy (The Death Busters)
Relationship (Haruka)- Michiru and Haruka are deeply in love with each other, sharing their innermost feelings without any shame or hesitation. "I want to be the girl who rides with you by the sea".
Responsibility (Being Her Best)- Michiru excels at nearly everything as a matter of course. She is calmly, but relentlessly competitive.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 34 / Defenses: 18 (166)

Sailor Neptune- The Ideal Japanese Woman:
-Sailor Neptune is an odd one in the show- she's so unlike Naoko Takeuchi that the manga's writer admits she was way too hard to write, and that left her as the most bland character of the Sailors (next to maybe Pluto). The anime writers had more luck, essentially contrasting her femininity with Uranus's far more masculine appearance and outlook. In the show, we see that Michiru Kaioh is more or less "The Perfect Japanese Woman"- beautiful, calm, serene, friendly but reserved, great at art and the violin, and utterly, inhumanly graceful. She represents the ideals of their culture so much that Usagi is practically infatuated, and ashamed of herself for being so clutzy and incapable by contrast ("I'm not worthy to be your BRIDE!" Usagi cries to Mamoru after meeting Michiru). An iconic scene from Sailor Moon S (ie. it showed up in a lot of gifs on "Sailor Neptune Shrines" back in the '90s) showed Michiru catching a tossed lemon with the neck of her violin, then BOUNCING IT UP AND DOWN with the end of the violin while she continued to flawlessly play it!

-Michiru was great when with Haruka- Haruka flirted with other girls, but Michiru completely no-sold it, joking about "flirting with young girls" and stuff like that- teasing Haruka instead of getting jealous. And while both girls were insistent on being cold and practical when it came to hunting for the Talismans, she would be much kinder about it, pitying the poor souls that could be lost, and chiding Uranus for being too cruel about it. At several points, a particularly kind-hearted person would be victimized, and Neptune, whose life revolved around finding the Talismans, would actually be JOYFUL that the person would not be a Talisman-Carrier, even though that would shorten their mission. Haruka would be shocked by this, but Neptune would just smile and say "I'm glad".

-Neptune was pretty neat in an episode with Ami- both girls were champion swimmers, but Ami's introversion made her not want to hurt Michiru's feelings by winning, so she held back. But Michiru, who focuses on personal excellence, was OFFENDED by Ami holding back, and demanded to know why- this shamed Ami, who ran off. Even Haruka pointed out that was a bit too harsh.

Neptune- Too Perfect?:
-Neptune, ultimately, was not that popular with fans- too much of her gimmick (Smart, Water-Themed Girl) was taken by Sailor Mercury, and she was TOO perfect- though her teasing of Uranus was always cute and humorous, her unflappable nature and general lack of flaws beyond "turns out to be wrong to be so cynical" made her a much blander character than most of the girls in the show. Sailor Stars did a better job of having her be practically R-rated with Haruka (most fan-favorite quotes of the two come from that season, short as their appearances were)- little jokes like "Maybe when we're in bed later" were as memorable as you'd expect.

-Though I find her "perfect femininity" an interesting contrast not only to Haruka's macho attitude, but to how absolutely ruthless Neptune was as well. She was mournful in the "Death Busters" season over the need for sacrificing others, and was frequently chided by her partner for stating how happy she was that a likeable Victim of the Day wasn't a Talisman holder and could thus survive, but in her SuperS one-off, she fights the villain and blows off the potential of them killing everyone else on Earth if Neptune stops her from killing Haruka ("Oh, you were bluffing?" "!?!?!?!" "A world without Haruka is a world I'm not interested in living in"), and in the Final Battle against Galaxia... she's right there with Uranus, reading her like a book as they turn on their allies and sacrifice Pluto & Saturn so they can get closer to the villain and try to kill her off.

Sailor Neptune's Powers:
-Sailor Neptune is a PL 10 character, unlike the Inner Sailors- her accuracy and comparative power are greater (it's stated IN-SERIES that "We have been granted much greater powers than the rest of you!"), but she still suffers from the usual Sailor Stuff- weakness against Snares, being rather physically "soft", etc. She can be solo'd by Daimons fairly easily (most Daimons, while weak defensively, are PL 10 on offense, while Sailors are usually well below that), and both she and Uranus are easily dealt with by the show's major villains like Kaolinite, Eudial and Mistress 9. In Sailor Stars, she is upgraded into Super Sailor Neptune, and gains more power- she also by this point has the Deep Aqua Mirror that enables her to fire out the "Submarine Reflection", which can either destroy the enemy, or reveal their weakness for someone else to strike.

SAILOR NEPTUNE (Michiru Kaioh)- Sailor Moon S
Dub Name:
Michelle
Role: The Ultra-Feminine One, The Ideal Princess, The Boring One
Main Fuku Colour: Dark Blue & Turquoise
Elemental Alignment: Water
Hair Colour: Turquoise
PL 10 (160)
STRENGTH
2/3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6, +8)
Athletics 4 (+6, +8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+11)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Music) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Art) 6 (+10)
Insight 4 (+8)
Perception 3 (+7)
Persuasion 3 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Neptune Attacks) 3 (+10)
Vehicles 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Beginner's Luck, Benefit (Wealth), Diehard, Equipment (Communicator), Evasion, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Takedown, Teamwork

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Deep Submerge!" Blast 10 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) [22]
"Bad Dreams & Visions" Senses 4 (Precognition) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Unarmed Senshi +11 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Deep Submerge +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +9

Complications (Early):
Power Loss (All Powers)- Sailor Senshi must be able to gesture and speak freely to use their powers. If they are Bound or Snared, they cannot use their attacks easily.
Normal Identity (Kaioh Michiru, Without Power Stick)
Secret (Identity)- The Senshi must not reveal their identities to the world at large, nor their villains.
Relationship (Haruka)- Michiru and Haruka are deeply in love with each other, sharing their innermost feelings without any shame or hesitation. "I want to be the girl who rides with you by the sea".
Responsibility (Being Her Best)- Michiru excels at nearly everything as a matter of course. She is calmly, but relentlessly competitive.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 32 / Defenses: 18 (160)

Jabroniville

Sailor Uranus

Post by Jabroniville »

Art by Hugmedeadly, Athena-Chan.

SAILOR URANUS (Haruka Tenoh)
Dub Name:
Amara
Role: The Masculine One, The Tough One, Cool Chick
Main Fuku Colour: Dark Blue & Yellow
Elemental Alignment: Earth
Hair Colour: Dirty Blonde
PL 11 (203)
STRENGTH
3/4 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6, +8)
Athletics 8 (+11, +12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+13)
Deception 3 (+7, +9 Attractive)
Expertise (Music) 4 (+7)
Insight 2 (+6)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Ranged Combat (Uranus Attacks) 3 (+10)
Vehicles 10 (+13)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, "Bifauxnen" Attractive (To Girls), Beginner's Luck, Diehard, Equipment 4 (Communicator, Inexplicable Helicopter), Extraordinary Effort, Evasion, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Takedown, Taunt, Teamwork

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"World Shaking!" Blast 12 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) Linked to Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (46) -- [47]
  • AE: "Space Sword Blaster!" Damage 12 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Reach 4) (Extras: Multiattack, Penetrating 8) (Flaws: Source- Space Sword) (26)

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Unarmed Senshi +13 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
World Shaking +10 (+12 Ranged Damage & +10 Affliction, DC 27 & 20)
Space Sword Blaster +10 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +11

Complications (Early):
Normal Identity (Tenoh Haruka, Without Power Stick)
Relationship (Michiru)- Michiru and Haruka are deeply in love with each other, sharing their innermost feelings without any shame or hesitation. "I love your hands".

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 31 / Powers: 56 / Defenses: 20 (203)

Sailor Uranus- The Tough One:
-Sailor Uranus is a LOT more famous than Sailor Neptune, going right down to her introduction- Neptune is more or less glossed over, while this "Haruka" boy is treated like the most handsome creature on Earth. Even USAGI is transfixed! Minako is basically in love with "him", following him around and desperately trying to impress him, while the other girls just ogle. And of course, by episode's end, we have the reveal that Haruka is anime's most famous example of the "Bifauxnen"- a "Pretty Boy" who is actually a very tall, masculine GIRL.

-Haruka passes off the mistake as "I never actually said I was a boy..."- she simply wears male clothing 90% of the time, wears her hair short, and eschews make-up. All the race-car driving, flirting with cute young girls, etc.- it's all stuff Haruka just DOES. The manga even makes it clear "she's both male and female", in the way a 1990 story would mention somebody who was one sex, but played at being another. Regardless of that, she and Michiru were pretty clearly "together", though they enjoyed teasing each other when Haruka flirted with "Bun-Head" or other girls.

-In a famous episode, Makoto kept up the "infatuation" thing, but admitted in the end that she was just transfixed by Hotaru's "Coolness", as Mako herself struggled with the masculine/feminine thing, being such a tall, tough girl and all. Haruka's casual acceptance of it (she's taller AND tougher than Mako) made her seem like an idol, though to most, it just looked like Makoto was falling for Haruka.

Uranus The Cynic:
-As Sailor Uranus (pronounced "YERR-ah-nuss", to avoid the gags that have been plaguing the character since before we ever received a dub!), Haruka was deeply cynical and pragmatic. Though this was also Neptune's forte, Uranus went MUCH further, even scolding her partner for being thankful when someone they knew was revealed to not be carrying a Talisman, since this extended their mission. Michiru was always more despondent over the fact that innocents would have to die to unleash the Talismans, and even asked Haruka repeatedly when it turned out that USAGI must have been a carrier. In a great bit of characterization, Michiru would go "must we really do this?", while Haruka, clearly agonizing over the decision, said things like how Usagi "MUST be sacrificed!"- it was practical, and the only then they knew they COULD do, but you could see how much it hurt.

-This cynical attitude rubbed the other Sailors the wrong way, however- Mako, as Sailor Jupiter, got REALLY pissed off at their abandoning the heroes whenever they figured a Talisman wasn't there, and actually ATTACKED. Uranus casually punched her in the gut and dropped her, but got a cut herself, correcting Neptune's chiding of her for "not holding back", pointing out that "She's... strong...".

-It would only get MORE pronounced later on, too... even AFTER it was revealed that the Talisman holders wouldn't die, and they were incorrect all along. When it turned out that innocent little Hotaru Tomoe was the Dark Messiah of Silence that would end the world, Uranus & Neptune suggested she be killed. Even INSISTED on it. And when Hotaru and ALL the Inner Sailors were trapped within the Death Busters' mansion, which was rapidly being sucked into another dimension, it was Uranus who suggested that "maybe it would be better if they never got out at all". Neptune was MORTIFIED at that dark thought, but then makes fun of Uranus for smiling when everyone returns alive. "You have more faith in Sailor Moon than a lot of people", she teases.

Uranus The... Hottie?:
-It's the damndest thing. For my entire life until a couple of years ago, I would have said that Uranus is one of the least-attractive Sailors. Too boyish, too bitchy, too mean. But then I took another look and... girl's got it going on. Tall and athletic; fit and strong. The "boyish" haircut actually has a really good wind-swept look. I've seen some fanart where she looks REALLY good, and some of the shots in the series look great, too.

Sailor Uranus's Powers:
-Sailor Uranus is probably the mightiest of any Sailor but Usagi herself, being a great physical fighter (enough to easily defeat Sailor Jupiter in melee), as well as packing a nasty Blast, which doubles as an Affliction (opponents are often "shaken", wobbling around all distorted on impact). It can also blast stuff out of people's hands, doing that to Kaolinite & Eudial- both times knocking Heart Crystals (which must be fairly durable) out of their grip. She excels at driving and grappling, and has skill with the piano. Also, she has a helicopter.

-In Sailor Stars, Uranus is upgraded to Super Sailor Uranus, and gains more hitting power (combined, she & Michiru blow up a MASSIVE room and everyone leaps up to the top of the TV studio building instead). She also uses the Space Sword Blaster, which is actually a far-reaching melee attack capable of hitting multiple individuals at once (such as the gross monsters summoned by the Daimon possessing Professor Tomoe- Germatoid). In the final battle against Sailor Galaxia, she is shocked when the villain grabs the sword and actually BREAKS IT.

SAILOR URANUS (Haruka Tenoh)- Sailor Moon S
Dub Name:
Amara
Role: The Masculine One, The Tough One, Cool Chick
Main Fuku Colour: Dark Blue & Yellow
Elemental Alignment: Earth
Hair Colour: Dirty Blonde
PL 10 (192)
STRENGTH
3/4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6, +8)
Athletics 8 (+11, +12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+13)
Deception 3 (+7, +9 Attractive)
Expertise (Music) 4 (+7)
Insight 2 (+6)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Ranged Combat (Uranus Attacks) 3 (+10)
Vehicles 10 (+13)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Attractive (To Girls), Beginner's Luck, Diehard, Equipment 4 (Communicator, Inexplicable Helicopter), Extraordinary Effort, Evasion, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Takedown, Taunt, Teamwork

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"World Shaking!" Blast 10 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) Linked to Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) [42]

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Unarmed Senshi +13 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
World Shaking +10 (+10 Ranged Damage & Affliction, DC 25 & 20)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +9

Complications (Early):
Normal Identity (Tenoh Haruka, Without Power Stick)
Relationship (Michiru)- Michiru and Haruka are deeply in love with each other, sharing their innermost feelings without any shame or hesitation. "I love your hands".

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 31 / Powers: 51 / Defenses: 16 (192)
Ken

Post by Ken »

marcoasalazarm wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:05 pm I am pretty sure I was the only kid in my school that didn’t cared about DBZ when I was growing up. As if I needed more reasons to be bullied.
I didn't care about DBZ or Sailor Moon when I was growing up... Prince Planet, Speed Racer, and Battle of the Planets, though.
W: Professor Plum, you were once a professor of psychiatry specializing in helping paranoid and homicidal lunatics suffering from delusions of grandeur.

PP: Yes, but now I work for the United Nations.

W: So your work has not changed.