Jab’s Builds! (Tyrant! Ravenous! Proemial Gods! One Must Fall: 2097!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Sidney369

Re: Jab’s Builds! (NuHumans! Moon Girl! Kid Kaiju! GALACTUS!)

Post by Sidney369 »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:02 pm Now Frost, i'll give you that she had NO redeeming qualities at all. Magneto, however, was suffering from Survivors Guilt(he was a Studerkommando is Auswitz) and PTSD(what happened to his first kid). It could be argued that he was lashing out at the world for allowing stuff like that to happen.
In my opinion, Generation X did a fair bit to redeem Emma Frost. Unfortunately, any character development she gained in that series was thrown out the window in New X-Men and never referenced again.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Skavenger

Re: Jab’s Builds! (The NuHumans! Moon Girl! Kid Kaiju!)

Post by Skavenger »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:00 am And with that... I am FINALLY done with these damn Inhumans builds. Initially I called them Stan & Jack’s worst major characters, and look- eleven billion characters, and only 4.5 good ones between them, lol. So many random names, one-offs, failed pushes and more.

Next up... the Heralds of Galactus! After that it’ll be some odd one-offs- a few guys Skavenger helped me out with ages ago, an old build I wanted to re-post, and a suuuuuuuuper obscure PC fighting game.
Just spotted this post. If they are who I think they are, oh boy!

Also, I just found the Disney Fairy builds. And now I'm spiraling back down that mental rabbit hole and remembering how much I enjoyed them. There was so much stuff I never mentioned back in the early builds, like the online debates about whether the Queen was a war criminal, the fact that the "Oh My Disney" fairy quiz has the question "Lobsters are..." and one of the choices is "Mermaids to scorpions," the fact that two scout fairies were voiced by an Agent of SHIELD and one of the Dora Milaje, there were three more films planned before the studio got the axe...

...help, this hole is deep...
M4C8

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Kid Kaiju! GALACTUS! The Silver Surfer!)

Post by M4C8 »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:00 am Dawn Greenwood is responsible for making the name "Toomie" official. That alone makes her character a legend in my book.
Toomie
I've recently been watching through all the 90's Marvel animated shows on Disney Plus, I just today finished the last of them which was the Silver Surfer cartoon, every time he says 'To me my board!' (which is a lot) I thought about this.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Grenzer

Post by Grenzer »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:42 am That's interesting- I'd never known that about those characters. Reminds me of how anime always has their white & Brazilian characters be Half-Japanese so they're not TOO foreign. But Marvel doing this even for villains is odd.
Funny you mention that, the Ur-Example of the "Haafu" hero in anime is Joe Shimamura aka Cyborg 009. His eponymous manga that started in 1964 was in essence the Japanese equivalent of Fantastic Four and other Lee/Kirby comics from the Silver Age. A team of mismatched people from different nations are thrown together and given superpowers that separate them from normal society, end up forming an ersatz family (with lots of conflict) and going on adventures that often investigate mad scientists, ancient mythological creatures, supernatural phenomenon, and even get to explore the cosmos on occasion... stop me if this sounds familiar. As far as I know, it was not inspired by Marvel Comics despite the similarities.

And in Joe's case his mixed heritage was very much social commentary by his creator Shotaro Ishinomori. Joe never knew his parents and grew up in an orphanage where he was often bullied for being half-White. One of the themes in the series is that he finds a family (and becomes the leader) among a group from diverse origins (including the first major Black African superhero of the 60's, two years before T'Challa was created) who accept him for his noble character, and that his origins do not define who he is. Pretty progressive for its time.

But on the topic at hand, Silver Surfer was one of the first superheroes I read issues for an ongoing series from as a kid. I remember the issue where Morg killed Nova very clearly because it was the first time I saw a hero (if you want to call Nova that) die in battle against the bad guy. And yes, a lot of the philosophy shot straight over my head, but the Surfer always had a special place in my heart for his unique characterization as a hero who questioned what it meant to be a hero, despite his immense power and vast knowledge.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Skavenger wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:43 am
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:00 am And with that... I am FINALLY done with these damn Inhumans builds. Initially I called them Stan & Jack’s worst major characters, and look- eleven billion characters, and only 4.5 good ones between them, lol. So many random names, one-offs, failed pushes and more.

Next up... the Heralds of Galactus! After that it’ll be some odd one-offs- a few guys Skavenger helped me out with ages ago, an old build I wanted to re-post, and a suuuuuuuuper obscure PC fighting game.
Just spotted this post. If they are who I think they are, oh boy!

Also, I just found the Disney Fairy builds. And now I'm spiraling back down that mental rabbit hole and remembering how much I enjoyed them. There was so much stuff I never mentioned back in the early builds, like the online debates about whether the Queen was a war criminal, the fact that the "Oh My Disney" fairy quiz has the question "Lobsters are..." and one of the choices is "Mermaids to scorpions," the fact that two scout fairies were voiced by an Agent of SHIELD and one of the Dora Milaje, there were three more films planned before the studio got the axe...

...help, this hole is deep...
haha, "mermaids to scorpions". What's the story there with Queen Clarion? I don't recall her having anyone killed, though she was afflicted with "Wand Madness" same as everyone else in the second of Gail Carson Levine's books (which I finally, FINALLY have all of... Vidia falling in love with Kyto the Dragon and not Tinker Bell enrages me).

It's so sad what happened to the Disney Fairies franchise. Just misaimed and kept away from adults who might have otherwise enjoyed it "cuz fairies are for GIRLS". Each movie seemed better than the last, and the cast of characters was really starting to gel. Fawn was AMAZING in The Legend of the Neverbeast.

The fandom is so tiny that the biggest Fairies Discord server is literally just me and four lesbians who are in love with Vidia. I mean, I love Elena of Avalor, but that show having two large Discords and the Fairies NONE is just so sad.

(PS Elena of Avalor is awesome- you, BGIII & Macyn are recently back so you've missed my fandom for it, but that show is everything a "Diversity Push" SHOULD be- characters who are fully realized and not perfect, flawless beings)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Grenzer wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:57 am
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:42 am That's interesting- I'd never known that about those characters. Reminds me of how anime always has their white & Brazilian characters be Half-Japanese so they're not TOO foreign. But Marvel doing this even for villains is odd.
Funny you mention that, the Ur-Example of the "Haafu" hero in anime is Joe Shimamura aka Cyborg 009. His eponymous manga that started in 1964 was in essence the Japanese equivalent of Fantastic Four and other Lee/Kirby comics from the Silver Age. A team of mismatched people from different nations are thrown together and given superpowers that separate them from normal society, end up forming an ersatz family (with lots of conflict) and going on adventures that often investigate mad scientists, ancient mythological creatures, supernatural phenomenon, and even get to explore the cosmos on occasion... stop me if this sounds familiar. As far as I know, it was not inspired by Marvel Comics despite the similarities.

And in Joe's case his mixed heritage was very much social commentary by his creator Shotaro Ishinomori. Joe never knew his parents and grew up in an orphanage where he was often bullied for being half-White. One of the themes in the series is that he finds a family (and becomes the leader) among a group from diverse origins (including the first major Black African superhero of the 60's, two years before T'Challa was created) who accept him for his noble character, and that his origins do not define who he is. Pretty progressive for its time.

But on the topic at hand, Silver Surfer was one of the first superheroes I read issues for an ongoing series from as a kid. I remember the issue where Morg killed Nova very clearly because it was the first time I saw a hero (if you want to call Nova that) die in battle against the bad guy. And yes, a lot of the philosophy shot straight over my head, but the Surfer always had a special place in my heart for his unique characterization as a hero who questioned what it meant to be a hero, despite his immense power and vast knowledge.
Oh cool! I didn't know that about Cyborg 009- It didn't even show up at the Manga Museum I visited in Kyoto. There was a lot of stuff about Princess Knight and of course all the Osamu Tezuka material for the older stuff, but none of that. Sounds like a pretty cool story.
Jabroniville

The Silver Surfer (NES Game)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE SILVER SURFER:
Game Type: Side-Scrolling Shoot 'Em Up
Release Date: 1990
Developer: Software Creations

-It fills me with absolute glee that this UNIMAGINABLE PIECE OF CRAP will go down in history as one of the worst f*cking games of all time. This game was absolute GARBAGE from beginning till end, and has been torn apart publicly several times for its sheer learning curve, imbalance, and difficulty. Stuff like Mega Man 2 is hard. Castlevania is rough. NINJA GAIDEN is a monster. But THIS? This is like Battletoads if you died in one hit. And yes, these raging douchenozzles actually made a game about the SILVER SURFER, the most powerful hero in the Marvel Universe, and made him DIE IN A SINGLE HIT. A hit from ANYTHING- you brushed the top of a building while flying at the speed of an infant crawling? Dead. You flew too close to the side? Dead. And of course the infamous Rubby Ducky floating in the water will kill you if you run into it- Dead. And it's not like there are easy obstacles out there- this game THROWS the weaponry at you. The firing lines and patterns are mind-numbing, filling the screen with all sorts of garbage. There's a reason why "One Hit And You're Dead" became one of Gaming's dead cliches after a time (it was common in Overhead Shooters, but those games feature TINY SHIPS, not a big human shape), and this may have been one of the breaking points. My friend claims to have finished this. I call him a liar.

-The Bosses are Reptyl, Mephisto, The Possessor, Firelord, and Kylor (apparently the Skrull Emperor).

THE SILVER SURFER (Norrin Radd)- VIDEO GAME ACCURATE BUILD
Role:
The Weakest Hero Ever
PL 5 (116)
STRENGTH
-3 STAMINA -3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Space Traveller) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Cosmic Lore) 5 (+9)
Knowledge (Theology & Philosophy) 6 (+9)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Perception 6 (+9)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Blasts) 3 (+8)
Technology 2 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Blasts), Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Imbued With The Power Cosmic"
Immunity 12 (Aging, Sleep, Life Support) [12]

"Cosmic Mind"
Comprehend 4 (Languages 4) [8]
"Cosmic Sight" Senses 11 (Extended Vision 8- 1 billion miles, Microvision, Analytical Vision) [11]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Space) [2]
Senses 1 (Communication Link- Heralds & Galactus) [1]

"Cosmic Awareness"
Senses 1 (Cosmic Awareness- Ranged 3) [4]
Cosmic Blast 2 [4]

"Re-Summonable Cosmic Surfboard"
Flight 2 (8 mph) (Flaws: Platform) [2]
Movement 3 (Space Travel 2, Dimensional Travel) (Flaws: Platform) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (-3 Damage, DC 12)
Cosmic Blast +8 (+2 Ranged Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness -3, Fortitude +0, Will +12

Complications:
Guilt (Destroyed Countless Worlds & Civilizations)
Relationship (Shalla-Bal)- Norrin Radd was in love with this tender woman, and she helped inspire him to make his great sacrifice.
Honour- The Surfer is an honourable soul, and will not lie or cheat easily.
Reputation (Loner)- Where the Surfer soars, he must soar alone.
Enemy (Thanos)- Surfer was the chosen foe of Thanos when Adam Warlock was dead.
Enemy (Mephisto)- The Surfer's Pure Soul has long-interested the Satan Analogue of Marvel Comics.
Vulnerable (Rubber Duckies, Walls, The Roofs of Buildings, Slight Breezes, Aunt May's Punches, etc.)- Seriously, f*ck this game.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 47 / Defenses: 24 (116)

-So Norrin Radd, one of my few PL 15 builds of a superhero, becomes reduced to PL 5 for this piece of garbage- his much-vaunted Power Cosmic renders him vulnerable to everything from minor obstacles that would harm no other superhero, and he can barely even damage the MOOKS of his game- multiple bad guys take numerous hits to bring down. His Flight is reduced to "crawling speed", and all he's left with are his numerous Sensory Powers. The accuracy of his Blasts is his only saving grace- he's PL 5 with his Blasts (he CAN kill the enemies. Eventually.), and PL 2.5 defensively. Play the game and you'll see.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Haha, i thought this Silver Surfer game was an Urban Legend as it was planned but never made! So, they did make it?! Being so crappy, I guess no one wants to admit they know of it, let alone own it!
Curbludgeon

Post by Curbludgeon »

Say what you want about the NES Silver Surfer game (no, really), the soundtrack is surprisingly good.

I know that I'm in the distinct minority on this, but I hated the Slott/Allred run. The art style is I suppose a factor, but for all that the character is a goofy concept I don't need that to be reflected on the page. It's obviously a complete non-starter, but I'd love the character to at some point get a far more grim treatment than he's ever received. Norrin, while having the best of intentions, facilitated countless deaths, much of which done when he wasn't in complete possession of his faculties. That inability to trust his own memory, contrasted with an indescribably acute ability to perceive the ramifications of his actions, should leave him as arguably the most guilt-ridden and emotionally devastated person in the universe. His ability to effect positive change afterward is largely a curse.

I want to see a NC-17 rated version of the Silver Surfer that aims for somewhere between a Christ-myth and Vonnegut's Mother Night, where his being put to a Kwisatz Haderachian "terrible purpose" may have been necessary but still leaves him desperate yet unable to die. Special effects would be incidental; the 90's series' quality minus the terrible CGI would be more than good enough. While this wouldn't be toyetic, I could see a fast food marketing tie-in: "Galactus is inevitable, as is quadruple cheese. You've always known."
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

Goldar wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:41 am Haha, i thought this Silver Surfer game was an Urban Legend as it was planned but never made! So, they did make it?! Being so crappy, I guess no one wants to admit they know of it, let alone own it!
No urban legend. I actually owned it. I remember there being codes in Game Genie for it too.
As I recall, there was nothing special about the game. It was just a standard side scrolling blaster game.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Sidious wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:05 pm
Goldar wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:41 am Haha, i thought this Silver Surfer game was an Urban Legend as it was planned but never made! So, they did make it?! Being so crappy, I guess no one wants to admit they know of it, let alone own it!
No urban legend. I actually owned it. I remember there being codes in Game Genie for it too.
As I recall, there was nothing special about the game. It was just a standard side scrolling blaster game.
Cool! You are the first and only person I know to own it, lol! 8-)

None of my friends could find it and the store people would ask if they made up the game since they never heard of it.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I remember renting it from the video store one weekend... and hating it.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

The music (composed by Tim Follin) is indeed awesome, but the game is just way too hard. And there's the sad hilarity of the Surfer, one of the most powerful beings on Earth, struggling to blow up Mooks and dying from the slightest touch of a wall.
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

Curbludgeon wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:50 pm Say what you want about the NES Silver Surfer game (no, really), the soundtrack is surprisingly good.

I know that I'm in the distinct minority on this, but I hated the Slott/Allred run. The art style is I suppose a factor, but for all that the character is a goofy concept I don't need that to be reflected on the page. It's obviously a complete non-starter, but I'd love the character to at some point get a far more grim treatment than he's ever received. Norrin, while having the best of intentions, facilitated countless deaths, much of which done when he wasn't in complete possession of his faculties. That inability to trust his own memory, contrasted with an indescribably acute ability to perceive the ramifications of his actions, should leave him as arguably the most guilt-ridden and emotionally devastated person in the universe. His ability to effect positive change afterward is largely a curse.

I want to see a NC-17 rated version of the Silver Surfer that aims for somewhere between a Christ-myth and Vonnegut's Mother Night, where his being put to a Kwisatz Haderachian "terrible purpose" may have been necessary but still leaves him desperate yet unable to die. Special effects would be incidental; the 90's series' quality minus the terrible CGI would be more than good enough. While this wouldn't be toyetic, I could see a fast food marketing tie-in: "Galactus is inevitable, as is quadruple cheese. You've always known."
I'll admit, I read that and I picture Spawn sitting in his alley sulking for dozens of issues. You could tell a story like that, but it's hard to think of any comic writers that have that kind of light touch that could show that kind of pathos without it turning into a melodramatic angsty archive of emo Livejournal entries.
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:37 am What's the story there with Queen Clarion? I don't recall her having anyone killed, though she was afflicted with "Wand Madness" same as everyone else in the second of Gail Carson Levine's books (which I finally, FINALLY have all of... Vidia falling in love with Kyto the Dragon and not Tinker Bell enrages me).
It's the bit you mentioned, where she has "wand madness" and shrinks all of the hawks down to the size of quarters. The thinking is that hawks and fairies are in a constant feud, with some hawks hunting fairies and some fairies stealing feathers from hawks. Hawks are also shown to be intelligent, as all animals can communicate with fairies. However, since Clarion used the magic to affect all hawks, not just the ones that have attacked her people, she's possibly guilty of breaking several laws from the Geneva Convention:

Intentionally directing attacks against the civilian population as such or against individual civilians not taking direct part in hostilities;

Intentionally launching an attack in the knowledge that such attack will cause incidental loss of life or injury to civilians or damage to civilian objects or widespread, long-term and severe damage to the natural environment which would be clearly excessive in relation to the concrete and direct overall military advantage anticipated;

There's a whole history of the debate here. It's quite a head trip, and a reminder of why I don't join a lot of fandoms any more.