The Dragon Age RPG Setting Thread

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
MacynSnow

The Dragon Age RPG Setting Thread

Post by MacynSnow »

Ladies and Gentlemen,welcome to the World of DRAGON AGE....
WORLD OVERVIEW:
The game is set in Ferelden, one of several countries in the fictional world of Thedas. Demonic creatures called the Darkspawn dwell within the Deep Roads, an underground highway system created by the dwarves long ago, deep beneath the surface of Thedas. Every few hundred years, the Darkspawn swarm the surface world in a movement known as a Blight. Ever since the first Blight, Thedas has relied on the legendary order of warriors known as the Grey Wardens to drive the Darkspawn back. Dragon Age: Origins begins on the eve of Thedas's fifth Blight.
Thedas is a world in which race and class combine to determine social class. Elves are often viewed as second-class citizens by humans, while human nobles are treated with respect. Mages, on the other hand, are cloistered by the Chantry: they have access to the Fade, the unconscious realm that is the home of spirits, and a single lapse in vigilance could cause them to be possessed by demons. Apostate mages, who live outside the Chantry's control, are considered extremely dangerous, and the Chantry has a militant wing, the Templars, to seek them out and subdue them by any means necessary. Dwarves live in the Deep Roads, their kingdom a shadow of what it once was before the first Blight. Their society is rooted in tradition and a rigid caste system.
LOCATION INFORMATION:
Fereldan:
The Fereldans have only recently become “civilized.” Just a few centuries ago they were a loose association of barbaric tribes. While they’ve come a long way in a short period of time, Fereldans still have the heart and stamina of fierce warriors. Ferelden is also a land of gender equity, where women can be found in all professions and ranks. Fereldans value skill and fortitude, no matter its trappings. The Waking Sea and the Amaranthine Ocean bound Ferelden on the north and east, respectively. Ferelden’s capital and largest city, Denerim, sits on the realm’s northeastern shore. The heart of Ferelden is the central Bannorn, its breadbasket. Much of east Ferelden is covered by the Brecilian Forest, a dangerous woodland. The Southron Hills set the Brecilian Forest apart from south central Ferelden. Lake Calenhad is a large freshwater lake notable for the fact that one of its islands houses the Circle Tower, where every mage in Ferelden must be educated to avoid being branded an apostate. The Frostback Mountains border Ferelden to the west. Deep within them live the dwarves of Orzammar, which is one of the last two major dwarven cities on Thedas. Beyond the Frostbacks lies the Empire of Orlais. To the south of Ferelden lie the Hinterlands and the Korcari Wilds. The Hinterlands are a harsh land where the most stoic of the Fereldans live. The Korcari Wilds are dangerous lands shrouded in mists and home to the Chasind, a barbaric people who didn’t join their Fereldan brethren in becoming civilized. It is from the Korcari Wilds that the darkspawn are coming, and in great numbers. Unlike in most other lands of Thedas, Fereldan nobles aren’t seen as better than commoners. Their purpose is to protect Ferelden from threats. The lands are actually owned by Fereldan freemen, who pledge their lands to particular banns (similar to “baron”) in return for protection. Freemen may shift allegiances if and as they wish, so the nobility are responsible to those they protect. Banns commonly recruit and title knights to support them. Knights hold the title of “Ser,” whether male or female. Occasionally, the king appoints a noble to oversee one of the strongholds on the outskirts of Ferelden. These nobles are known as arls, and their holdings as arlings. While the overwhelming majority of Fereldans are human men and women, there are also dwarves and elves in Thedas. Most dwarves encountered above ground are either merchants or outcasts from the great dwarven cities. Even dwarf merchants, who provide a much-needed service to their people, are considered low-class people among their own kind.
The elves of Thedas are a scattered and victimized race. They once lived in a realm called the Dales, west of the Frostbacks, but a religious war waged by the Chantry sacked their homeland and scattered their people. Now, some elves—the Dalish—live off the land as nomads while the remainder huddle as second-class citizens in the ghettoes of human cities.
The Chantry is the dominant religion of most humans in Thedas, and the state religion of Ferelden. Its followers venerate a single deity called the Maker and follow the teachings of His Prophet, Andraste. The Chantry licenses mages and has a martial order of templars to enforce their obedience. All mages have a special connection to the Fade, an otherworldly realm where both benevolent and malevolent spirits dwell. Elves and humans can see the Fade in their dreams. The Fade’s malevolent spirits—demons—sometimes possess mages’ bodies to enter the material world. The Chantry claims that the Fade is the abode of the dead, although many mages dispute that claim. Dwarves do not dream and cannot enter the Fade; accordingly, there are no dwarf mages.
Anderfels:
The Anderfels is a kingdom in northwestern Thedas. It is located north of Nevarra and Orlais and west of the Tevinter Imperium. The Anderfels is best known for being the birthplace of the Grey Wardens and the site of their headquarters, Weisshaupt Fortress.
An old name for the land of Anderfels is the Orthlands. The Anderfels was originally the western part of the Tevinter Imperium, from which it separated after a rebellion in -695 Ancient (500 TE). It was reconquered by Tevinter in -535 Ancient (660 TE). After almost 100 years of bitter war with the darkspawn during the First Blight, the order of the Grey Wardens was founded and in -305 Ancient (890 TE) Weisshaupt was built. The Blight was then slowly pushed back during the next century or so.
After the First Blight, Tevinter held on to the Anderfels for about 200 years, but abandoned it in an effort to protect central Tevinter when the Second Blight began in 1:5 Divine (1199 TE). The Anderfels was nearly destroyed by the Blight, but saved by Emperor Kordillus Drakon, starting with the lifting of the siege of Weisshaupt in 1:33 Divine, and joined to the Orlesian Empire as well as converted to the Chantry. After the death of Drakon, his successor Kordillus II could not hold the empire together and the Anderfels broke free again in 1:65 Divine. The Second Blight was ended in 1:95 Divine.
The Third Blight from 3:10 Towers to 3:25 Towers mostly maimed areas to the south and east of the Anderfels, starting in Tevinter and Orlais and ending in the Free Marches at the Battle of Hunter Fell. The Anderfels got off relatively easily. This didn't last, however.
In 5:12 Exalted, the Fourth Blight began and spread to the Anderfels; the darkspawn laid siege to Hossberg for seven years. During the fighting King Henault was killed by an ogre, causing his wife queen Mariwen to take up regency for her son, King Grivaud, who was an infant at the time. However, since most of the nobles did not support her, most power laid with the Grey Wardens, specifically Warden-Commander Uvasha. Under the leadership of their Field-Commander Garahel, the Wardens managed to break the siege, after cutting off the darkspawn's supply lines from the deep roads. After the siege was broken, Queen Mariwen pledged to continue to support the war effort, in exchange for Garahel publicly supporting her reign (and subsequently sleeping with her). The Blight was again decided elsewhere, this time in eastern Antiva in 5:24 Exalted.

More to be added when i get the Chance...
Last edited by MacynSnow on Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Batgirl III

Re: The Dragon Age M&M 2E Setting

Post by Batgirl III »

Just gonna throw this out there, although one assumes you’ve considered it... Why not just use Green Ronin’s existing Dragon Age RPG?
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:54 pm Just gonna throw this out there, although one assumes you’ve considered it... Why not just use Green Ronin’s existing Dragon Age RPG?
I would(i own the main book and all the products for the games),but Coyotecode doesn' differentiate Dice colors which is a must for the original system.I found a way to compensate using M&M,but i want to do set-up for the Game Universe first...
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

You can use a semicolon to separate out a dice from the rest of the pool.

_: 3D6+2 = [1, 4, 4]+2 = 11
1D6+2 = [3]+2 = 5
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:07 pm You can use a semicolon to separate out a dice from the rest of the pool.

_: 3D6+2 = [1, 4, 4]+2 = 11
1D6+2 = [3]+2 = 5
I'll have to consider it,thank BG....:D
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ah! So it was Dragon Age you were hinting at the other day? Very nice, loved origins and 2. Actually read through its entire RPG as well, though I'm saddened you wont be using it.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:18 am Ah! So it was Dragon Age you were hinting at the other day? Very nice, loved origins and 2. Actually read through its entire RPG as well, though I'm saddened you wont be using it.
I will and i won't: i managed to translate the AGE engine into M&M 2e pretty well(i even transfered STUNTS),so it's still Technically DARPG,just with a slightly different Dice mechanic.(Which i'll be placing here tommorow,if RL doesn't mug me...)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

After taking a carefull look through my conversion,i found a Godzilla sized hole,so i'm going to use the Actual Book System.I'll have the Intrest/Recruitment Thread up somewhere near Saturday/Sunday.

I'll be using this for Specific NPC info,etc.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

THE VILLIAGE OF STEINHOLD
Placeholder
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

IMPORTANT NPC'S &FACTIONS OF STEINHOLD
Placeholder
MacynSnow