The Merge Universe

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
Bladewind

Re: The Merge Universe

Post by Bladewind » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:47 am

Updated... :)

Can someone confirm the link still works ?
Thorpocalypse wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm
Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document

Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:36 am

Bladewind wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:42 pm
Working on formatting those into the setting doc.

And Neo... omg. the Gaulish Miracle potion ! Hah !Brilliant ! (But no speed ?)

I will also be adding to the list...
Speed can be stunted off Strength.

Bladewind

Post by Bladewind » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:34 pm

Neo-Paladin wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:36 am
Bladewind wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:42 pm
Working on formatting those into the setting doc.

And Neo... omg. the Gaulish Miracle potion ! Hah !Brilliant ! (But no speed ?)

I will also be adding to the list...
Speed can be stunted off Strength.
True enough !
Man, did that entry bring a smile to my face.
Thorpocalypse wrote:
Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.

Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:36 pm

Love Asterix since I was a little kid. :) I just could not pass up this opportunity.

Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:56 pm

I had the thought of something, but I was curious to see if it's already been addressed elsewhere in the multitude of Merge-canon.

How does the existence of multiple "Magic systems" play out within the setting? Such as; The Force, Chi, The Warp, and dozens upon dozens of differing expressions of magic from other fiction. More specifically, how do these elements interact when someone has an inborne inclination towards multiple different systems a la MGS?
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
I'm the GM of The New Mythos, and play more characters then I probably should.

Bladewind

Post by Bladewind » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:22 pm

Mostly story driven.

For instance, I have long posited that the ATA Gene from Stargate translates to being equivalent to the Atlean ability to power their tech in Voltron Legendary Defender and a Spelljammer helm.*

However, since Naquedah and the ATA Gene (Stargate mythos) are mutually exclusive, they still are in the Merged Universe. So unless a Go'a'uld takes someone with the ATA Gene, he can power a ribbon device but not a Puddle Jumper.

The same applies for Chi and the Force for instance... these are largely the same for all intents and purposes.

Magic relies on source to determine compatibility. For instance, some Go'a'uld tech appears magic, but simply requires Naquedah to run. Infernal, Celestial, Elemental, Divine and the like are essentially all magic but interact with each other differently.

In other words, sources of complications as needed!

* Note, I am currently working on some house rules for Spelljammer, just because...
Thorpocalypse wrote:

Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:50 pm

Doctor Malsyn wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:56 pm
I had the thought of something, but I was curious to see if it's already been addressed elsewhere in the multitude of Merge-canon.

How does the existence of multiple "Magic systems" play out within the setting? Such as; The Force, Chi, The Warp, and dozens upon dozens of differing expressions of magic from other fiction. More specifically, how do these elements interact when someone has an inborne inclination towards multiple different systems a la MGS?
Basically...they mostly use one and the same energy. The more energetic dimensions (Heaven, Hell/the Abyss and the Warp...or even the deeper substrate between universes) are incontinent and release potential energy through the now-permeable quantum foam into the Merged Universe. However, the universe is more rigid than, say, the one from Warhammer and so, chaotic energy is forced into a "neutral" state underlying everything, a sort of energy field coalescing around objects and, more important, living beings.

Jedi would call this The Force. An Awakened Mage would call it Quintessence. And when it resides within living creatures, it can also be called Qi or Chi. Now, the Force can be channelled according to its user's intent and given a certain spin, light or dark. A Force-user does this instinctively according to their training. Their powers are limited in application but can be used with just a thought. Unless you want to do something more complex like, say, create dark Force-infused creatures or machines - which is where using the Force works exactly like magic.

So, Tl;DR: The Force and the energy magic draws on are one and the same. And yes, you can combine several disciplines (I had Asaj Ventress (pre face-turn) use both the Dark Side and some lovecraftian magic to control the Flying Polyps under Australia in an attempt to destroy the Jedi temple in one game).