Gods coming back

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
Miracle

Gods coming back

Post by Miracle »

2000ish years removed, the Hellenos - Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Hades, Demeter, Athena, Apollo, Artemis, Hermes, Ares, Aphrodite, Hephaestus, Dionysus (and maybe a few other notables) - are back.

So, this is me questioning my own idea. Since they've been gone, a lot has changed. The world is a lot bigger. Also, society's 'rules' have changed (I'm looking at you Zeus and Ares). Also, how does this affect the world at large? 13ish powerful beings roaming around (or are at least back in their digs doing things the way they used to back in the day). Also, myths versus science. We know Apollo doesn't carry the sun around the world on a chariot or that Zeus causes storms. Also, faith in general. Would actual gods showing up and doing things make

What do you think? Any other questions this would bring up? I admit, I'm partial to the group, but it's a flimsy premise. I'd like to make it more sturdy.
Bladewind

Re: Gods coming back

Post by Bladewind »

Well, some questions...

:arrow: What are the gods. Not who, what. Meaning... Even back in the day, its unlikely Apollo dragged the sun. The story was told so that people could understand...
:arrow: Was there really only one set of gods or did all the Pantheons exist ?
:arrow: Are the gods more like the version from the Thor movies ?
:arrow: Are these the actual gods? Are they Go'a'uld? Bio Engineered Humans? Mutants ?

I have a favourite author, James Lovegrove. Glance at his Pantheon Series sometime. You'll be inspired even if you just read the blurbs.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

Thanks for the suggestion, Bladewind. I do enjoy reading modern fantasy.
Emerald_Flame300

Post by Emerald_Flame300 »

I know this is a little late, but I just found this thread and I was intrigued.

If you have read any of the Percy Jackson books or watched the movies, what I am about to say will seem familiar.

I once started a short-lived campaign I dubbed, IN THE PLAYGROUND OF THE GODS!! <Insert impressive echo here>

In a nut shell, the Gods have always been there.. but when the tides of belief charged towards monotheism, the Gods of old faded into the background. They were still acting in the world of man. They also continued their past action of mating with humans. Their children were demigods.

As Bladewind pointed out... the term "Gods" could imply advanced beings and not necessarily divine entities. In my mini-campaign, the gods were "powerful beings" and their children were granted abilities.

Each of the players in the campaign, picked a God and modeled the character's abilities off of it. My character was a "Child of Athena". Each of the demigod children were granted base abilities...
Demi-God Racial Package
* Blessing of Asclepius: Regeneration 2 (Every 5 rounds)
* Combat Reflexes: Enhanced Agility 1 (+1 AGL)

These perks allowed the demigods to standout a little from normal people.

My character was based on Athena and so I played around with the idea that Athena was the goddess of wisdom, craft, and war. The idea that came up with was a "borrow" of the idea of the Green Lantern. .... a ring was crafted by Athena as a gift to the Protectors of her shrines. The ring allowed the user to 'craft' items through the strength of their will.

Another player was the child of Poseidon... his powers came through the ground and size manipulation (Growth and Shrinking). As a quirk, he lived on a house boat as he was drawn to the water.

[OK... enough rambling]

Going back to what you said...
2000ish years removed, the Hellenos - Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Hades, Demeter, Athena, Apollo, Artemis, Hermes, Ares, Aphrodite, Hephaestus, Dionysus (and maybe a few other notables) - are back.

So, this is me questioning my own idea. Since they've been gone, a lot has changed. The world is a lot bigger. Also, society's 'rules' have changed (I'm looking at you Zeus and Ares). Also, how does this affect the world at large? 13ish powerful beings roaming around (or are at least back in their digs doing things the way they used to back in the day). Also, myths versus science. We know Apollo doesn't carry the sun around the world on a chariot or that Zeus causes storms. Also, faith in general. Would actual gods showing up and doing things make

What do you think? Any other questions this would bring up? I admit, I'm partial to the group, but it's a flimsy premise. I'd like to make it more sturdy.
I would say that without having to define the Gods, the demigods idea is the next in line.

Bladewind's ideas of using a "Go'a'uld" or bio-engineered human would be a good way to explain the nature of the Gods.

I don't know if this helped or not... hopefully it did.