[Pathfinder]Collaborative world-building thread number two!

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: [Pathfinder]Collaborative world-building thread number two!

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Interesting how sci-fi this reality is already.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

The Nanoplague
The animating force behind Undead

Nanlatoturs Genius Laan, or as it's more well known, the Nanoplague. It was an engineered bio-mechanical virus that originated from the remants or an age-old race. They had intended to create a way to stop the aging process, heal wounds, keep the body alive even from extreme injury. Their initial results were a complete failure, and the reseach would've died along with them if not a young group of Elven and Human scientists.

They recreated the research, and felt they discovered the source of the problem, and tried to animate the nanomachines with magic. Data proved to be fruitful, and they injected themselves with their reward, unknowingly kicking off the worst disaster in the galaxy. The initial detrimental effects weren't immediately apperent, but within weeks they found their flesh start to rot, their memories cloud, and iristable desire to spread their curse and destroy the living. They had both become the first Liches, and the first Necromancers.

Their might ammassed quickly, forces spreading far as the virus was spread and evolved, creating many varieties of undead throughout the galaxy. Just when it seemed like they would acheive their goal of spreading to every known star, they were haulted by sudden divine might, and had their forces quelled by these 'gods'.

In the moddern era, the Nanoplague has wormed it's way passed the divine blockade and spread it's way into the hearts of the living throughout the system, though it's potency has dimmed greatly. It is the true animating force behind the numerous undead within The Cradle, and seems to be empowered by Negative Energy.
------------
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

The 'afterlife' is really a massive public works VR-space for digitized consciousnesses, sustained by magic in ways mere science cannot achieve. These VR Planes each have a magitech server, powered directly by the incredible magics inside a particular god---meaning, every single god has its own server 'Outer Plane'.

Resurrection-magic allows for a non-scientific 'download' of a digitized consciousness in a magically-created replica of that consciousness' living body. Magic is absolutely essential to both reincarnation/resurrection, as digitized intelligence cannot be mundanely downloaded into genuinely living bodies.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Doctor Malsyn wrote:Interesting how sci-fi this reality is already.
That's not necessarily a bad thing! I feel it can be done and done well. Really, Shadowrun has had a loooooong shelf life and it's proven, in my eyes at least, that this sort of genre hybridization is not only possible, but has the potential to be really cool.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Hoid wrote:
Doctor Malsyn wrote:Interesting how sci-fi this reality is already.
That's not necessarily a bad thing! I feel it can be done and done well. Really, Shadowrun has had a loooooong shelf life and it's proven, in my eyes at least, that this sort of genre hybridization is not only possible, but has the potential to be really cool.
Indeed! The setting of The Cradle is something I could dig, and it provides plenty of opportunity for us to add new stuff. I feel as though this would run "Starfinder" rather then "Pathfinder", but that's not a bad thing.
------------
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Souls
Philosophy or fact?

Beings have lived and died long before the creation of The Afterlife , and the with magic being so prominent, many have wondered if souls truly exist, and where does a soul go when one dies? The truth is, that nobody really knows. Not even the gods are privy to what goes on spiritually among mortals, if the data they collect is really them or just a copy.

There's certainly something there, but as non natives to this reality, they can't properly grasp what that something is. They have collectivly deigned to consider this to be a mortal's 'essence', and several have made it their mission to analyize this essence in comparison to their own souls.
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
------------
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Gaea:
CN 'female' greater deity.
Portfolio: navigation, the night sky, the sea and wind.
Cleeics' Alignments: CG, CN, CE.
Domains/Subdomains: Air [Cloud, Wind], Chaos [Azata], Travel, Water [Ocean].
Holy Symbol: a machine-cog encrusted with plant-growth.
Gaea is the physically largest deity, as she's a gas giant with nearly 80 moons. Gaea is the CN female greater deity of navigation, the night sky, the sea and wind. Her holy symbol is a blazing white comet, facing left.

Urnous:
LN 'male' greater deity.
Portfolio: creation and destruction.
Clerics' Alignments: LG, LN, LE.
Domains/Subdomains: Artifice, Destruction, Law, Strength.
Holy Symbol: a crown of brambles wending round a ring of iron.
Gaea's husband is Urnoas, himself also a gas giant; Urnoas is the LN male greater deity of creation and destruction. His holy symbol is a blazing black comet, facing right.

Both Gaea and Urnoas inhabit the same exosolar system, 200 lightyears away from The Cradle.
Last edited by Hoid on Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:11 am, edited 9 times in total.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Dji-Ton-Fū is the other True Neutral diety of the Higher Panteon, and exists as a tidal-locked planet orbiting a dying red star. He is the first god to be brought into existince by the goddess of travel, and is the god of Pacts and Mediation. He has used his divine powers to act as an unbiased party in the petty squabbles of his fellow divine, and is tasked with enforcing divine contracts.
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

A sidenote, Hoid, one of my last posts refering to gods lists the twelve "Planetary True-Gods" as all being of Greater divinity.
------------
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Doctor Malsyn wrote:A sidenote, Hoid, one of my last posts refering to gods lists the twelve "Planetary True-Gods" as all being of Greater divinity.
Ok! Will make modifications!
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Willius is the CN greater deity of Strangeness, Mysteries, Tricks, and Errant thought. He is often associated with and worshiped by those that are Fae, a fact on which he chooses not to discourage as it brings him amusement. His physical form is that of an Earth-like world which has constantly shifting plate tectonics, but often has the resemblance of a smiling face. He has 'charmed' a purple star into orbiting around him rather then the correct way, and has 'tricked' several several nebula into circling around him like rings. He refers to this system as the Fey's Court.

He is so well known for his tricks and strange pranks, that mortals have adopted several phrases which they use in response towards something strange, mysterious, or unexpected;

"This is the work of Willius!"
"The Fey's Court must be above us!"
"That fey bastard is laughing!"
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Nox:
NE 'male' greater deity.
Portfolio: the dead, death, necromancy, necrotechnology and the undead.
Domains/Subdomains: Artifice, Death, Evil, Magic.
Holy Symbol: a digital disc surrounded by a wheel of burning outwards-facing feathers.
Nox is not a planet: Nox is a god, but he is not a planet; rather, he is s star: a dead star, collapsed under the weight of its own gravity-well. A black hole, the other gods have carefully maneuvered Nox well away from the Cradle.

Nox is the NE male greater deity of the dead, death, necrotechnology, necromancy and the undead. Though he did not create the undead, Nox has subborned many of them, and now acts as their patron god.

Thankfully? Nox is slow-witted and slothful and is easily tricked by his fellow gods. So far keeping Nox away from The Cradle has been easy...but one day, that will change!
Last edited by Hoid on Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Does some basic math. Realizes he mis-numbered the amount of gods there should be.

Much apologies... There should be sixteen "True Gods" that make up the higher pantheon.

EDIT: EIGHTEEN, Gods, where's my basic math skills today. Nine plus nine is eighteen.
------------
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Faruun is the LG greater goddess of Sunlight, Valor, and Benevolence. She has long wished to replace the Cradle's central star, but the other diety's have denied her with each request. She instead chooses to remain as one of the brightest stars in the night sky, a proto star that exists in relatively close proximity to The Cradle.
------------
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Androids and robots are major races, in The Cradle, and're given full legal rights. Ironically, disembodied AIs cannot exist without magic to 'buoy' it up. The reasons for this've never been very clear, even to the greatest High Scientists.