[Pathfinder]Collaberative world-building exercise...

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: [Pathfinder]Collaberative world-building exercise...

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ah crap, you updated Sevencity's post with advisers while I was typing out that last one.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Doctor Malsyn wrote:Ah crap, you updated Sevencity's post with advisers while I was typing out that last one.
Sorry! Want me to edit that out?
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Doctor Malsyn wrote:One of the chief advisers to the king and queen of Sevencity is the seemingly kind and weathered halfling man by the name of Heao Torntir. But little do they know, was that the real Heao was killed in his sleep ten years ago and has been impersonated by Jorlu Twendlefoot (CR12 NE Old Male Halfling Ninja 7, Master Spy 5)! He has been carefully manipulating the citystate's trade for years, funneling gold towards his family in Rackspur through various devious methods. If something isn't done to stop him soon, then Sevencity might become another part of the Twendlefoot's secret empire!
There's always room for another advisor!
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Hoid wrote:Sorry! Want me to edit that out?
-

Naw naw, you had your idea first. Though... If you would allow for a third adviser, then this would allow for a great adventure hook. I'll leave it up to you to decide what Heao Torntir was in life.
------------
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Doctor Malsyn wrote:
Hoid wrote:Sorry! Want me to edit that out?
-

Naw naw, you had your idea first. Though... If you would allow for a third adviser, then this would allow for a great adventure hook. I'll leave it up to you to decide what Heao Torntir was in life.
Leave Heao in!
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

The Arcanium Gates
Portals between the East and West.

Crossing from The Western World to the Eastern World is not only possible by boat. The dwarves of Kor-Tun once created a powerful portal in mimicry of the ancient divine elven magic. Existing as large archways composed primarily of Arcanium and Adamantine, with every visble inch of surface etched in powerful dwarven runes. With their large size they are capable of transporting several dozen people at the same time. Only two of these archways exist, one within the city of Kor and one within Ile.

The two ancient structures were constructed at the height of dwarven might almost 8,000 years ago, and was a project so costly that no other gates were ever produced. The first was created in Kor, the heart of dwarven society, and the exit gate was located at what was once a dwarven colony. It had laid dormant for many years until it was recovered by archeologists from the Divner's Assembly. That gate now sits near the heart of Isle, and has been activated with the Grand Arcaknight's blessing.
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
------------
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Doctor Malsyn wrote:The Arcanium Gates
Portals between the East and West.

Crossing from The Western World to the Eastern World is not only possible by boat. The dwarvesnof Kor-Tun created a powerful portal in minicry of the ancient divine elgen magic. Existing as large archways composed primarily of Arcanium and Adamantine, every inch of viable surface is etched with powerful dwargen runes. With their larte size they are capable of transporting several dozen people at the same time. Only two of these archways exist, one within the city of Kor and one within Ile.

The two ancient structures were constructed at the height of dwarven might almost 8,000 years ago, and was a project so costly that no other gates were ever produced. The first was created in Kor, the heart of dwargen society, and the exit gate was located at what was once a dwarven colony. It had laid dormant for many years until it was recovered by archeologists from the Divner's Assembly. That gate now sits near the heart of Isle, and has been activated with the Grand Arcaknight's blessing.
[Yodavoice]"The typos are strong with this one."[/Yodavoice] ;)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

That's pretty much a primary trait of mine, sorry. I try to fix what I can
------------
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Doctor Malsyn wrote:That's pretty much a primary trait of mine, sorry. I try to fix what I can
I'm the exact same way when using a cellphone. And don't sweat it, I was just being silly. :)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Hoid wrote:
Doctor Malsyn wrote:That's pretty much a primary trait of mine, sorry. I try to fix what I can
I'm the exact same way when using a cellphone. And don't sweat it, I was just being silly. :)
Grumble grumble... ;P
------------
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

The Grand Hold of Kor
The world's longest-inhabited city
Titles: The Mountain-Hold, Birthplace of the Dwarves, The Tiered City
Size: Metropolis
Population: 240,000
Demographics: 74% Dwarf, 11% Human, 5% Halfing, 3% Gnome, 3% Elf, 2% Udaeoi, 2% Other
Government: Monarchy
Alignment: Neutral Good
Ruler: Grand Arkanknight Thesdrumri Arcanimin
Economy:
Kor is a trade city, and much of it's income is a result of people traveling from all over the continent to visit it's grand marketplace. Weapons, armour, and fine crafts of all sort help to further cement the steady flow of merchants. It might not be located near a port, but still maintains an economically strategic location with thousands of trade routes passing through or near the city.

Many animals of burden have trouble with the higher altitude of Kor, but large goats are readily available for rent at reasonable prices. For those with deeper pockets and heavier loads however, one can always invest in purchasing a lease for a Golem.

Some people also visit the city in order to see the sights, providing a hefty amount of tourism from many corners of the globe. Even it's undercity is not exempt, as underground denizens travel through miles of tunnels just to see the ancient hold in all it's glory.

Government:
The Grand Hold of Kor is consider it's own kingdom in relation to Kor-Tun as a whole, but it is also it's capital. It's ruler not only lords over the city, but holds a position of power over all the dwarven kings and queens of Kor-Tun. Within the city itself, it's ruler is aided by a procession of advisers and delegates who help to see over the day to day living and keeping the city a clean, respected, and safe fortress against those who wish it harm.

Local authority is given to chapters of the Arcaknight Order throughout the city, who in turn assign a certain amount of power to local lords and ladies. These civilian officials help in keeping affairs in running order, but their positions are by no means guaranteed. If their Arcaknight overseers suspect corruption, they won't hesitate to act on the behalf of their king and replace them with others more worthy.

Geography:
The city of Kor is located on, in, and around a large mountain near the center of the entire continent. It's part of a range of mountains known as Ashrak's Teeth, a range entirely owned by the nation of Kor-Tun. The mountain once held a name, but it has been lost to time as it was transformed into the massive rising city it now is. At it's foot are hills, which quickly transform into plainsland, much of which is worked by farmers. Various highways lead to the city, and it has multiple gates, none of which really considered the 'primary entrance'.

-Tiers:
Half of Kor exists above ground, carved out of the mountain face directly. There are around 32 tiers of varying size, with a large palace at the top. Citizens can travel between the various tiers via pathways, tunnels, elevators, or Rune-Doors. Rune-Doors are simplified and much weaker versions of the Arcanium Gates, and exist throughout the city as a way to teleport from one Rune-Door to the other. These cost an amount of money to use, and can range from a few silver to several gold pieces.

The Flatlands:
At the very bottom of Kor, before one delves undergound, are the Flatlands. These are considered the 'slums' of Kor, but are still of arguably better living conditions then most cities. It's population is largely that of non-dwarves or non-permanent residences, and holds a large number of inns and small shops. Warehouses are located in blocks here and there, heavily guarded against intrusions from enterprising thieves.

Tiers 1-10 "The Commercial Zone"
Most of the cities trade is located within this vast marketplace, with shops both grand and small offering up all manners of goods both imported and originating from the local area itself. One street is particularly famous for it's large selection of produce stands and traveling entertainers, and is referred to as "The Bountiful Street". Like all the tiers, there is a number of overlap regarding residential and craftsman areas.

Tiers 11-20 "Industrial Row"
Factories, workshops, art studios, and various firms exist within these tiers, and is rather infamous with the noise and air pollution emitted from so many of these businesses near eachother. Like all the tiers, there is a number of overlap regarding residential and trade areas.

Tiers 21-25 "The Cloud District"
The Clouds District, named in part to the prominent cloud cover, is the cultural center of Kor. Academys, places of worship, museums and centers of the arts are all very prominent amongst the common houses and businesses prominent throughout all the tiers. Also located here is Kor's Cloudship port, which acomdates for all kinds of airborn vessels.

It itself is considered a work of art, with swooping arches between tall monolithic towers, statues of famous figures in Kor's history at every street corner. Here, structures are created with both beauty and sturdiness in mind. A true showcasing of the might of dwarven architecture!

Tiers 26-32 "High Residential"
Almost entirely restricted to homes and estates, the High Residential tiers are more of an esteemed name then an indicator for wealth. While many noble families make their homes within these sections, there are a number of lower and middleclass households as well. In general, the higher you go, the wealthier the neiborhood.

Top "The Iron Palace"
The city was reaching maximum height near the year 10,000 DC, and it's current ruling body was no longer feeling content to rule from deep below. A new palace was ordered to be carved and built out of the mountain's very peak, to be composed primarily of iron, steel, and stone. The aptly named "Iron Palace" was completed in the year 10,103 with the current queen taking up residence in short order.

It is a large structure, existing almost as a town in and of itself. With the numerous gardens, workshops, barracks, and meadhalls, it's capable of being entirely self-sustained in the event of a full fledged siege. The Arcaknight order's main headquarters exists within the palace as a large, six story square tower with numerous battlements and strategic outcroppings. When not led by their Grand Arcaknight, they are instead led by the Marshall Commander of their order Ferr Goldensheer (CR 17 LG Female Dwarf Cavalier 17).

Also located within the Iron Palace is a colony of gargoyles who had been allowed nesting rights by a dwarven king two thousand years prior in return for their everlasting loyalty as staunch protectors. These stone beings can often be spotted perched upon specially crafted ledges, watching day and night for invaders. Their roost is a secluded building with no inside access and located at the top of the palace. They are currently led by Gashtrim of the Watch (CR 9 LN Male Gargoyle Hunter 5) and his loyal dire bat companion Sasha. Gashtrim has fallen hopelessly in love with the dwarven court wizard Nis Spelbear (CR 15 NG Middle Aged Female Dwarf Wizard 15), and has been debating for years on how to approach her with his intentions.

-The Undercity
Also referred to as the Old City, these grand spacious caverns are inhabited almost entirely by dwarves. It is structured in much the same way as the city above-ground, and has a very distinct feel. Most of the eldest and elite dwarven families still maintain their primary halls down in the undercity, and inhabitants are in general considered to be middle class and above. Almost half of Kor's entire population is located here in the undercity, with caves being slowly expanded to accommodate new residents.

The Old-Keep
The oldest structure in the entire city is the Keep of Yacksir, their first king and grand arcaknight. It is much smaller then the Iron palace, but is in no way considered less grand. Indeed, it's ancient carvings and architecture makes it a wonder to behold. The Old-Keep largely exists as a museum which honors the city's vast and prestigious history, but there are rumors that parts of the keep are still used and kept off limits to visitors...

The Arcanium Gate
The Gate that connects Kor to Isle is located within the Undercity, a stones throw from the Old Keep in a vast courtyard. It was once the center-piece of the royal gardens during it's time of dormancy, but with it's reactivation the grounds had been remodeled into something welcoming for gate-bound travelers.

A contingent of soldiers is always posted nearby to keep watch and stop any suspicious travelers who make it through the same proceedings on the other side, with strict policies regarding contraband goods and recognized criminals. It's also quite expensive to use, a single trip costing around fifty gold pieces with merchants and their wares. It's twenty five for non-merchants, though pregnant woman, children, the elderly and infirm are discounted.

Udaeoi Refugee Quarter
Once bitter enemies in the time of empires, many udaeoi have been forced to put aside their pride and ask the dwarves of Kor-Tun for protection. That protection was granted, the dwarves having long respected their ancient rival in combat, and a portion of the Undercity was walled off and granted to udaeoi fleeing the Promethean Exchange.

It acts near independent of the rest of the city, maintaining their own leaders and their own temples of worship. The refugee quarter also repels outsiders from entering unless accompanied by an udaeoi, a xenophobic policy that's upset many of the older families. They are currently led by Jei Tu (CR6 Female udaeoi CG Cleric 6 of the Skybearer), who is their leader both spiritually and politically.

History:
?
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:27 am, edited 15 times in total.
------------
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I'll work on some of that later, getting late now, but feel free to post things regarding GREATEST DWARVEN CITY if wished. Because boy, is there a lot to cover...
------------
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

The Cloud District could be a cloudship-port?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Hoid wrote:The Cloud District could be a cloudship-port?
Ohh, good thinking!
------------
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Maybe some gargoyle allies lair in the Iron Palace? Their leader would have class levels and be LN, but I leave the class[es] to you. These gargoyles have sworn loyalty to the Arkaknight!