Modern Adventurers

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
Miracle

Modern Adventurers

Post by Miracle »

This is not a fully fleshed out setting, but more of an idea. The hypothetical setting has superheroes, yes, but those are mostly city folk (not saying all adventurers are rednecks or bumpkins either!). Outside of the cities lie strange places.

People see 'monsters' out there. From gangs of little green men to giant beasts if they go too far into the wilderness. Just about any low to no population zones are bound to pop up.

And you don't call Superman or Thor to squash your roaches, do you? No, you call on these guys. They're almost always low to unpowered, but its not unheard of to see a full blown powered individual to do it.

Sometimes they carry archaic weapons and armor. For the sport of it. Others are a little bit more resourceful and have guns and explosives.

Some do it out of the goodness of their hearts. Those are few and far between, as they have to make a living somehow. Most of the adventurers are either in it because they're rich and can do it or on the opposite end, need money. The need money crew are not all bad. But they're making a living doing dangerous work.

This is kind of a pitch. What do you think? I'd like critique. You can throw some ideas too if you wish!
Darrin Kelley

Re: Modern Adventurers

Post by Darrin Kelley »

I think it is a call back to the Pulp Age. One of my favorite literary periods.

I do not think modern adventurers is an outmoded concept at all. In fact, I think it's an absolutely viable basis for a campaign.

I think it is something that has become quite neglected in modern settings. And in my opinion: It shouldn't be. It's still a wild and crazy world out there. With plenty of hidden frontiers to explore and secrets to uncover.
Miracle

Re: Modern Adventurers

Post by Miracle »

Hey, thanks for the opinion. I wasn't thinking about the Pulp Age when I was rambling on, but yeah it fits!

Also, while I don't think they'd be cut off from the modern world, I think the ones fully invested would see 'civilization' as only a pit stop. Not saying they all think that. But why go into crowded cities when you can discover things not even on the map. That last line was a little too far off from the original concept - hunting monsters for protection/profit and exploring unknown places - but maybe different adventurer groups do different things.