The Merge Universe

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
betterwatchit

Re: The Merge Universe

Post by betterwatchit »

I wonder what you think of the idea of the Looking Glass? It's basically a cybercafé made with powers in mind. After all, they tend to have certain requirements and issues when going online that most people - not even the powers themselves sometimes - simply wouldn't think of. Things like a relatively anonymous but otherwise fully functional, legal and reliable method to buy things online without leaking their details, hence the giftcards, Paypoint service, Crypto ATM and Amazon Locker. Online privacy isn't just a political issue for a power, it's a matter of life and death.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Personally, I think it`s a neat idea. It`s SORT of like the Home Sweet Home in the States. A place where XDs go without worry to communicate with each other.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit »

One thing I recommend looking at is the Urban Arcana setting book for D20 Modern. It gives a good idea on how some fantasy races would adapt to living in a modern society.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Also, for those with Netflix, Bright. Essentially Urban Arcana in a movie. Not the best movie I've ever seen, but I really liked the Orc Cop.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit »

Just thought of a new slang term...

Dolittle: Anyone with Comprehend: Speak and Understand Animals. Most Dolittles end up developing Animal Empathy and are near-always among the most valued members of any group that works with animals.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

I like that one.
betterwatchit

Post by betterwatchit »

Well, the main reason I thought of a section on slang is that it would make the post-Merge world sound like people actually live there.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

I like it. My personal thoughts on pokemon and animals would be they would love anyone who could actually understand them and be very chatty because of it. It would be a huge concern if the local critters wouldn't talk. It's a good indication of how bad an area is.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

In regards to Dolittles...there is a difference in how you actually talk to the animal or in what you actually talk to.
Pokemon are intelligent and any Dolittle can understand them just fine.
Normal animals, however, are still animals and the concepts they rely on need to be interpreted. They are not dumb, of course, but have vastly different ways of seeing and understanding the world.
Still, even a little helps a lot and most people who have gained the ability to understand animals have started lobbying on behalf of species often treated as " evil" in popular culture - wolves, sharks, crocodiles, snakes etc.
And then there are those who actually talk to the spirits of the animal world. Now those are also quite alien but have a much more human-like intelligence.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Would pokemon be considered 'people' and go under the comprehend language or comprehend animals? I'd think critters like dolphins and whales would go under 'people' due to their brain size, but that's just me.

Battle Init
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

I'd go differently for pokemon.

One, their language (to me) is alien and not animal.
Two, I'd have a trainer automatically be able to communicate for free as part of the descriptor on the summon/ minion/ sidekick
Three, I'd have the pokemon spend points to speak to other beings
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Yeah, they're 'people', just not human. Maybe the trainer can just understand their own pokemon due to the bond they share, but trainers still need to spend points to understand wild pokemon.

Battle Init
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

I’d say a Feature at best.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

If I'm allowed to make my own suggestion as to locations/figures in the Merge-verse I have a couple things that could relate to Japan. I'll just put this one foreard for now though...

Konohagakure: Known as one of the five great ninja vilages from it's universe, it appeared post merge in the center of Aokigahara, Japan. The area it's located was known locally as the 'Sea of Trees', but in modern times it has become infamous as the 'Suicide Forest'.

Konoha itself exists as a semi-autonomous micronation atatched to the Japanese government yet remains secret to the public at large. Numerous hidden ninja villages from across the multiverse have merged with the city itself, though there are rumors of more secretive clans existing outside of it's scope.
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

IMO, that`s an awesome addition.

I will add to the setting doc tonight.