Terror comes to Gen Con in 2018

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Chris Brady

Re: Terror comes to Gen Con in 2018

Post by Chris Brady »

Ares wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:45 pm By which I mean Anita Sarkeesian will be attending GenCon.

So apparently she wants to expand her brand of snake-oil salesmanship she hit video games with to tabletop games.
She's realized that she can't damage Video Games, so she's turning to another fandom to destroy.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Chris Brady wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:37 am
Ares wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:45 pm By which I mean Anita Sarkeesian will be attending GenCon.

So apparently she wants to expand her brand of snake-oil salesmanship she hit video games with to tabletop games.
She's realized that she can't damage Video Games, so she's turning to another fandom to destroy.
I’d pay good money to be able to stand at the mic during a Q&A with her (which I don’t think she ever actually does) and ask how a woman with no professional experience in the hobby games industry, no known history of being a hobbyist herself, and no academic qualifications related to the industry feels that she has any business touting herself as an expert on the hobby game industry...?

Other than “I haz a uterus!”

Which is an argument I, personally, find less than compelling.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:52 am
Chris Brady wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:37 am

I’d pay good money to be able to stand at the mic during a Q&A with her (which I don’t think she ever actually does) and ask how a woman with no professional experience in the hobby games industry, no known history of being a hobbyist herself, and no academic qualifications related to the industry feels that she has any business touting herself as an expert on the hobby game industry...?

Other than “I haz a uterus!”

Which is an argument I, personally, find less than compelling.
Thing is, if you've seen what Marvel and now DC is doing, it works.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

“Works” is an odd way to put it. I’ve seen the Nielsen BookScan data for both Marvel and DC, their sales are down and falling.

The best sellers in comics the past decade have been produced outside the Big Two: Raina Telgemeier, Jay Kinney, and Rachel Renee Russell are absolutely kicking the snot out of Brian Michael Bendis, Geoff Johns, and Gail Simone. In 2015, a re-print of Alan Moore’s twenty-seven year old Batman: The Killing Joke was the only DC or Marvel title to crack the Top Twenty list... it peaked at #10. Things haven’t changed much in the last three years.

Kids aren’t reading superhero comics, they’re reading slice of life comedies; teenagers aren’t reading superhero comics, they’re reading manga; and adults aren’t reading superhero comics, they’re binge watching Netflix, and going to see MCU movies in the theater.

“Get woke, go broke.”
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:53 am and adults aren’t reading superhero comics,
Certainly doesn't help when the big two decide they don't like the colour of your money. Damned Radium Age.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.