Terror comes to Gen Con in 2018

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Ares
Site Admin

Terror comes to Gen Con in 2018

Post by Ares »

By which I mean Anita Sarkeesian will be attending GenCon.

So apparently she wants to expand her brand of snake-oil salesmanship she hit video games with to tabletop games.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Re: Terror comes to Gen Con in 2018

Post by Batgirl III »

Ugh. I am sooo glad I decided not to attend this year, I cannot stomach that woman.

Anita Sarkeesian holds a BA in "communications" from the University of California and in 2010 earned her Masters Degree in "social and political thought" from York University. I find it telling that this famous "media critic" had no experience in the video game industry (not one hour of work as a designer, writer, programmer, or even saleswoman) and held no academic credentials when she launched Feminist Frequency in 2009. She's routinely touted by supporters as an expert... But has no academic or practical expertise. None.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Nunya B

Post by Nunya B »

Oh no, somebody whose greatest accomplishment is having been cyberbullied by 4chan is going to speak somewhere! Why does anyone care about this woman?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Nunya B wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:05 pm Oh no, somebody whose greatest accomplishment is having been cyberbullied by 4chan is going to speak somewhere! Why does anyone care about this woman?
Because she and her followers wield a disproportionate amount of influence over the entertainment and information technology industries. Influence they are using to negative ends.

When she was just some schmuck whinging into a webcam, I ignored her. But soon thereafter she was giving testimony before the United Nations on why we should have worldwide censorship of the internet and broadcast media. The woman is an active threat to the free exchange of ideas.

(She’s also an incredibly rude person whenever speaking in public too.)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Nunya B wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:05 pm Oh no, somebody whose greatest accomplishment is having been cyberbullied by 4chan is going to speak somewhere! Why does anyone care about this woman?
Technically her biggest achievement was playing the victim card well enough to be invited to speak before the United Nations on "the women's issue of cyber-bullying and on-line harassment" and making money by lying about games, gamers and herself, while also being protected from all of the repercussions of her actions. She was toxic to the video game industry and she'd be no less toxic to the tabletop industry.

Now, she's lost most of her relevance in the current year, but she still tries and she still clearly has some influence on some people in various industries. This woman is a poisonous snake, and I don't trust such snakes until they're beheaded.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

yeah sadly she had an actual point and was a legit victim but any cred she had got lost when she turned her victimhood into martyrdom for the cause attacking anyone and anything that so much as whiffed of being even in the same room as her message. Sadly most of the anti hers didn't help the cause by attacking her personally rather then her arguments she received her share of death threats, rape threats, rape and death threats among other insanity.

She has roasted everything from Damsels in distress to chainmail bkinis to skimpy costumes to feminien superheroes in general, and then roasts on top of that anyone that DARES enjoy those things as mysoginistic and worse; its pathetic honestly.

I mean i can appreciate the call or need for more and better feminine representation, get me mroe LAra Crofts, more Sara Pezzinis, more Samus Arans, more of my jedi Ana Tathis. More of that would be awesome. But her personal attacks in what seems to be an ongoing war to reduce anyone who enjoys such things to neanderthal barbarians wielding clubs jsut leaves a foul taste in the mouth.

hell I think she'd complain about the Dresden files Karrin Murphy being too short as some sort of affornt to women for being a manic pixie dream girl even if that werent a hundred percent wrong.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Legit victim?

I’ve been looking for years, but I’ve never seen any reports of charges being filed (let alone a trial and conviction) for anyone making threats to Ms. Sarkeesian.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

catsi563 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:52 pm yeah sadly she had an actual point and was a legit victim but any cred she had got lost when she turned her victimhood into martyrdom for the cause attacking anyone and anything that so much as whiffed of being even in the same room as her message. Sadly most of the anti hers didn't help the cause by attacking her personally rather then her arguments she received her share of death threats, rape threats, rape and death threats among other insanity.

She has roasted everything from Damsels in distress to chainmail bkinis to skimpy costumes to feminien superheroes in general, and then roasts on top of that anyone that DARES enjoy those things as mysoginistic and worse; its pathetic honestly.

I mean i can appreciate the call or need for more and better feminine representation, get me mroe LAra Crofts, more Sara Pezzinis, more Samus Arans, more of my jedi Ana Tathis. More of that would be awesome. But her personal attacks in what seems to be an ongoing war to reduce anyone who enjoys such things to neanderthal barbarians wielding clubs jsut leaves a foul taste in the mouth.

hell I think she'd complain about the Dresden files Karrin Murphy being too short as some sort of affornt to women for being a manic pixie dream girl even if that werent a hundred percent wrong.
I honestly wouldn't surprised if much if not all of the "attacks" against her are exaggerations or outright manufactured. This woman is an expert at manufacturing outrage.

I mean, take Sargon of Akkad. He's someone whose criticisms of her are based on what she says and does, and he doesn't engage in pointless name calling. He's never threatened her, he's never organized any threats against her, and has publicly denounced anyone who would do so. But when he was in the audience of one of her panels, sitting quietly and not doing anything, she not only called attention to him, but also insulted him multiple times on stage and tried to have security kick him out, all for the crime of being someone who criticizes her work occupying a space within visual range of her that he paid for. Anita is someone who views the dismantling of her arguments and criticisms of her actions as harassment.

And this is a woman who takes game footage from others without permission or acknowledgement, and who outright lies about games to further a narrative. She claimed in Hitman 2 that the game rewards you for murdering a stripper, and how the game both dehumanizes and objectifies women in this way, making them merely obstacles to overcome and victims of violence. But not only does the game have multiple ways to avoid even harming the women, you are actually penalized if you kill them and rewarded for not harming them.

Anita is someone who has gotten wealthy off of lying about people and an industry, and getting rewarded for doing so because she knows how to play identity politics. She's a terrible person, and the only reason I even care about her is that I want to keep her away from the franchises and hobbies I love because we don't need her brand of poison in them.

catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Oh don't get me wrong she has definitely done all of that, but when she first appeared and made her case, she was hit by a Documented wave of some really nasty stuff. Stuff real enough that the FBI was called in to investigate and found to be credible.

but as you say she took that and martyred herself, soon to the point any attack--read disagreement with her -- was turned into the most vile hate speech imaginable and she assumed the role of professional victimhood with gusto.

She lost most of her credibility after that at least for me, because there comes a point where pointing out the generalizations in behavior starts bordering on or crossing the line into shaming of whatever sort you think. made worse by her lack of actual experience in any industry I should add.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I will not deny that Ms. Sarkeesian attracts an awful lot of trolls... Some of whom are saying downright vile things to her and about her. But, hey, that's the life of a famous person in the age of the Internet. Especial when you made your reputation and make your living by criticizing a massively popular medium. It predates the Internet even, Siskel and Ebert got death threats from trolls in the Eighties when they criticized certain films. But back then you actually had to write a letter, now you’ve got instant access to a way to troll the whole world 140-characters at a time. In your pocket.

Ms. Sarkeesian claims to be a professional media critic. Okay, sure. Pull up your big girl pants and ignore the trolls. Report any credible threats to the proper authorities. Press charges. Present evidence. Get a conviction. Until that happens, I'm calling bullshit on the idea that she’s been threatened.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:21 pm I will not deny that Ms. Sarkeesian attracts an awful lot of trolls... Some of whom are saying downright vile things to her and about her. But, hey, that's the life of a famous person in the age of the Internet. Especial when you made your reputation and make your living by criticizing a massively popular medium. It predates the Internet even, Siskel and Ebert got death threats from trolls in the Eighties when they criticized certain films. But back then you actually had to write a letter, now you’ve got instant access to a way to troll the whole world 140-characters at a time. In your pocket.

Ms. Sarkeesian claims to be a professional media critic. Okay, sure. Pull up your big girl pants and ignore the trolls. Report any credible threats to the proper authorities. Press charges. Present evidence. Get a conviction. Until that happens, I'm calling bullshit on the idea that she’s been threatened.
Again Don't get me wrong I agree mostly that by putting herself out there she does become some fair game for trolls and other Neanderthals.

But what I was pointing out and forgive me if Im not quite able to make my point correctly. its that is ee a lot fo the dismissal of her come in what happened to her initially. they blow it off as oh she was mocked by naughty boys on 4chan, or she exagerated it.

No thats not what happened not evne close, she was Actively and provabley harassed to the point where law enforcment credibly thought she was in actual danger.

Sadly though before even someone like me who would hoenstly defend her from that behavior could step in, she launched into what i refer to as Martydom. Like Ares said she started taking shots at everything, using materials out of context, and worse then taking ANYONE who argued with her as an direct attack.

Sheesh heres a fun fact. I ME I was actually blocked from her Youtube page when I layed out an attempt at a rational argument against her position. if you know me at all I am probably one of the last of the raised gentlemen, open the doors and hold them, pay for dates, protect women etc etc.

So being blocked for attempting debate and seeing some of the absolutelt vicious backblast was really shocking, and mind you not all of the backblast came from her supporters either, got my share of nasty comments from a few misanthropes that mounted to UGH Meat smash puny man.

go figure :P

Catsi stories
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

As I outlined above, Ms. Sarkeesian has no practical experience or academic credentials to qualify as an expert in her field. She claims expertise in it anyway.
That’s not me trolling, that’s not me making shit up, that’s not me taking things out of context. That’s based on me reading her publicly available LinkedIn CV.

This claim to false expertise might not meet the legal definition of fraud, but it certainly meets the Penn & Teller standard for being “bullshit.”

Likewise, her claims to threats and harassment. No arrests have been made in any jurisdiction that I can google, certainly no convictions.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:11 pm But soon thereafter she was giving testimony before the United Nations on why we should have worldwide censorship of the internet and broadcast media. The woman is an active threat to the free exchange of ideas.
Well, at least she's doing it at the U.N. She'll at least fit in.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:36 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:11 pm But soon thereafter she was giving testimony before the United Nations on why we should have worldwide censorship of the internet and broadcast media. The woman is an active threat to the free exchange of ideas.
Well, at least she's doing it at the U.N. She'll at least fit in.
Edit:I have been trying for the past hour to give ken a Men at Work style polite golf clap gif,but because i have to type the address due to my being stuck using my PS4..... :cry:
Last edited by MacynSnow on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.