Possible Star Wars RPG Interest?

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
XeroKhan

Possible Star Wars RPG Interest?

Post by XeroKhan »

I figure I'd post this here, as I was unsure of whether to post this in the Gaming Table thread or not.

Anyway, I was wondering if there was anybody wanting to play and/or run a Star Wars RPG. I don't want to run one, but I do want to play one, as Star Wars was the setting that got me into Tabletop RPGs. Enough backstory though, but is anybody else interested?
Doctor Malsyn

Re: Possible Star Wars RPG Interest?

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I'm actualy in a game of it myself already, though it's being done on a blog. Couldn't say I had the experience or know-how to run it myself, however, of both the system and it's source material.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

We'll be watching this thread with great interest...
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Jewel wrote:We'll be watching this thread with great interest...
Hey sorry folks... that was actually me. Didn`t realize the other user of this computer had logged on. :lol: :oops:
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

I couldn't run one, but I would be very interested in playing in one!
Formerly luketheduke86
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

What era did you have in mind?
Unbeliever

Post by Unbeliever »

L-Space wrote:I couldn't run one, but I would be very interested in playing in one!
First of ... hi everyone!

Second off, I'm in the same boat, here. I like the setting, especially a lot of the less explored aspects of it, but I don't really have any facility at coming up with plots for it. At least with superheroes I'm good (at least I think so, please don't burst my bubble ...) at coming up with nefarious villains, which leads to plot generation.

For what it's worth, I feel that Savage Worlds is a very nice system for Star Wars. I don't love Savage for everything, but SW plays to its pulp sensibilities. And, one of the selling points for me is that Savage's vehicle rules are pretty easy and engaging. I've played a few various Star Wars games, mostly in the Saga system, and I've always felt that starships were an iconic part of the setting that tends to get short shrift at the gaming table.

My $.02.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Unbeliever wrote: For what it's worth, I feel that Savage Worlds is a very nice system for Star Wars. I don't love Savage for everything, but SW plays to its pulp sensibilities. And, one of the selling points for me is that Savage's vehicle rules are pretty easy and engaging. I've played a few various Star Wars games, mostly in the Saga system, and I've always felt that starships were an iconic part of the setting that tends to get short shrift at the gaming table.

My $.02.
I agree. The Saga system's vehicle rules were kind of lackluster not really fitting the feel of Star Wars ship battles, feel the same way about the Force mechanics as well. As a whole, Saga was kind of hit and miss for me. I appreciated the amount of info/lore they included, but the execution of the mechanics were a bit wanting.

Never played the Savage Worlds system, I'll have to check it out.

I once found a True20 Star Wars conversion that someone did that looked really good, but I never had the chance to try it out.
Formerly luketheduke86
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

a star wars game would always interest me.

I remember getting a version of a revised and updated edition of the old West End Games rule set in pdf somebody had put their heart and soul into, which reminded me that the WEG editions was my favourite version so far (he says owning most of the WOTC versions).
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

WEG D6 version was my first ever star wars campaign with my Jedi Ana Tathis.

several campaigns later it remains a favorite even with some of the fun I had in D20 Star Wars
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Unbeliever

Post by Unbeliever »

catsi563 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:06 pm WEG D6 version was my first ever star wars campaign with my Jedi Ana Tathis.

several campaigns later it remains a favorite even with some of the fun I had in D20 Star Wars
I liked WEG, especially their detail with the world. The books were a pleasure to read, especially at the time when there was a lot less Star Wars saturation out there. Wookiepedia now sort of supercedes a lot of that.

But, I found the system a bit too simplistic for the long haul.
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

catsi563 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:06 pm WEG D6 version was my first ever star wars campaign with my Jedi Ana Tathis.

The only Star Wars game I've played in were D20 Star Wars, and I found it to be pretty good. What did ya'll think of it?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I've played the old WEG D6 system, all the various WotC d20 iterations, and have read (but not yet played) the new Fantasy Flight Games' version.

I believe that the WEG edition had by far the best supporting materials and that the Revised Second Edition core book one of the most "newbie friendly" roleplaying books ever written. But, well, the system was more than a little convoluted and Jedi fell hard into the linear warriors, quadratic wizards trap.

Most of the WotC versions were mediocre, at best, but I adored Saga Edition. By far the best balance between Force-users and Normals that I've ever played and it felt distinctly "Star Wars-y" at both low and high levels.

Although, frankly, the most fun I ever had playing a Star Wars game was with an RPG that wasn't written to be Star Wars at all! A guy at university had cobbled together his own twenty page set of conversions and house rules to make a Star Wars campaign using Traveller.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Unbeliever

Post by Unbeliever »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:03 am I believe that the WEG edition had by far the best supporting materials and that the Revised Second Edition core book one of the most "newbie friendly" roleplaying books ever written. But, well, the system was more than a little convoluted and Jedi fell hard into the linear warriors, quadratic wizards trap.

Most of the WotC versions were mediocre, at best, but I adored Saga Edition. By far the best balance between Force-users and Normals that I've ever played and it felt distinctly "Star Wars-y" at both low and high levels.
Entirely agree. I think a lot of people who ultimately ended up being disenchanted with WEG were those who played non-Force characters. Back in the day, I remember a distinct correlation between people who loved it and those who wanted to tell me about their unique, special lightsaber design.

To be fair, it's an older system, and game design has gotten more sophisticated over the years. It's weird to think of something like RPGs "advancing," but I really think they have.

I loved Saga a lot. But, it fell into a few thornier traps in Star Wars game design. While better at this than a lot of systems, there's still a pretty strong Force > Everything in the system, and a handful of other things, some of which are legacies of its D&D roots. I do dig the system, though. But, in my experiences with it people have hard a hard time with the rules. It is fairly rulesy, though that never put me off. But, I am a deft hand with 3E D&D and cut my teeth on GURPS.

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:03 am Although, frankly, the most fun I ever had playing a Star Wars game was with an RPG that wasn't written to be Star Wars at all! A guy at university had cobbled together his own twenty page set of conversions and house rules to make a Star Wars campaign using Traveller.
I think this is actually pretty common. Like a lot of licensed properties, Star Wars games have been pretty rocky. Also, such things are often labors of love.

It is weird that I have about 0 interest in FFG's new Star Wars game? It doesn't seem my style, and I also felt their Warhammer 40k games, a setting I also adore, were awful.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I have a reflexive dislike of games that use "symbol dice" in lieu of numbers, which is why despite having read the FFG Star Wars games and their Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay game, it is highly unlikely I'll ever play them. I enjoyed most of their WH40k stuff, but, boy are those games a "hard sell" to people who aren't already fans of the wargame.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.