Palladium/Rifts into M&M

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
catsi563

Re: Palladium/Rifts into M&M

Post by catsi563 »

Fluff and RAW that's pretty much what I was, combination of combat computer, physical reflexes and training that allowed that many attacks
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

catsi563 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:40 pm Fluff and RAW that's pretty much what I was, combination of combat computer, physical reflexes and training that allowed that many attacks
In my group(The Weyland-Yutani Corporation(tm)),i had the highest number of attack's at 11-12,followed immediately after by our 1/2 Dog Boy at 8,our Thunder Lizard at 6 and ending with our Ley-Line Walker at 5(which suprised the Heck out of me looking over my old notes,as i could've sworn he hit more often than i did....)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ondori-Shisho, my mutant chicken samurai, only had four attacks (five when dual wielding his katana and wakizashi). Which was about half that of the other frontline fighters in the group, however, “Master Rooster” had both Auto-Parry (from his Zanji Shinjinken-Ryo martial art) and Auto-Dodge (as a mutant animal special power). As I said before, this is kind of the Holy Grail of Rifts combat efficiency, so my offensive output was a bit behind the others (especially since I had nearly zero ranged options), but defensively I was god-tier.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:54 am I’m actually thinking of doing a few things from RIFTS: South America 2, mostly because it contains my favorite* Power Armor in the game, the Arequipa Solar Combat Armor. Gaze upon its majesty! Gaze and despair!

That should not be humdrum military combat armor, man, that’s a freakin’ superhero!

* (Okay, second favorite, I will always love the original SAMAS.)
Yeah, I really wanna see you do this, because that's one of the books I don't have. My friend was way into the South America setting- just flipping through the first one, amidst all the bad Kevin Siembieda art you can find a LOT of "Cities of Adventure", with way more freedom than was given to anyone writing for the American setting. Cities of Cats, Lizard Men, Dragons, Vampires, etc.- it's a smorgasbord of stuff you can fight.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Real Life®️ got busy all the sudden, so I haven’t had time to do much but reupload my 40k builds. I want to finish off the Four Horsemen and then I’ll try to get to South America.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:37 pm Real Life®️ got busy all the sudden, so I haven’t had time to do much but reupload my 40k builds. I want to finish off the Four Horsemen and then I’ll try to get to South America.
Well that's too bad. I'm still not sure what my exact posting order is going to be. Once I get through some baseline Main Rulebook classes, I'll do the Juicer Uprising stuff, then a quick stopover for Rifts Mercenaries. After that, possibly Japan or South America 1.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Thought I'd slap a starfield onto the Cosmo-Knight to see how it looks:

Hmm. Awesome AND appropriate!
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Wow. The original art was good, but this dials it up to Eleven.

Can I impose on you to use your photoshop skills to turn the Solar Armor I shared earlier into a Cosmo-Knight?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:34 pm Wow. The original art was good, but this dials it up to Eleven.

Can I impose on you to use your photoshop skills to turn the Solar Armor I shared earlier into a Cosmo-Knight?
I'll give it a shot.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:34 pm Wow. The original art was good, but this dials it up to Eleven.

How's that?

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Spectacular!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

It's actually annoying reading those Rifts reviews by those FATAL/whatever guys, because they keep mocking Vince Martin's work- even singling out his armor designs as weak. I have the EXACT opposite opinion. I mean, I get the people not liking the Coalition Redesign he did (I LOVED it as a kid, but now I can see the point of the detractors), but c'mon- the guy's stuff looked great.
Jabroniville

Mind Melter

Post by Jabroniville »

Just throwing this one down, since I'd build it, but wasn't ready to post it in my builds thread just yet:

MIND MELTER O.C.C.
Role:
Psionics, Super-Psychics
PL 9 (123)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Expertise (Streetwise or Survival) 4 (+6/+4)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Mind Bolt) 4 (+10)
Technology 3 (+3)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 6 (Gun, Armor, Gear & Supplies), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Super-Psionics"
"Bio-Regeneration" Healing 7 (Energizing) (21) -- [35]
  • AE: "Detect Psionics" Senses (Psionic Awareness- Ranged) (2 points + Range)
    AE: "Healing Touch/Psychic Surgery" Healing (2 pp/rank)
    AE: "Alter Aura" Concealment (Auras) (2)
    AE: "See Aura" Senses (Life Detection- Acute, Analytical, Magic Detection, Psychic Detection, Possession Awareness) & Senses (Mutant/Non-Human/Illness Detection- Uncontrolled) (8)
    AE: "Sixth Sense" Danger Sense & Uncanny Dodge (2)
    AE: "Mind Block" Immunity 20 (Mental Powers) (Flaws: Fades) (10)
    AE: "Presence Sense" Senses 3 (Supernatural Creature Awareness- Radius, Ranged) (3)
    AE: "Telepathy" Mind-Reading 8 Linked to Communication (Mental) 2 (Limited to Brief Messages) (19)
    AE: "Sense Evil" Senses 2 (Evil Detection- Ranged) (2)
    AE: "Resist Fatigue" Immunity 2 (Fatigue) (2)
    AE: "Summon Inner Strength" Stamina +1 & Great Endurance (3)
    AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 5 (10)
    AE: "Mind Bolt" Blast 8 (16)
    AE: "Hypnotic Suggestion" Mind Control 7 (Limited to Simple Suggestions & Calming) (21)
"Telekinetic Force Field" Force Field 4 (Impervious) [12]

Equipment:
"Light Armor" Protection 4 (Impervious 5) (9)
"Laser Pistol" Blast 7 (14)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Mind Bolt +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3 (+7 Armor, +11 Force Field), Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Enemy (The Coalition)- Psychics are hunted by the Coalition.
Power Loss (Powers)- Psychics require their inner psychic potential to utilize their powers- this will eventually run out, even for the best Psychics.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 47 / Defenses: 11 (123)

-The Mind Melter is the most powerful Psychic class in the Main Rulebook, and the only one there with access to SUPER-Psionic Powers! With art that's straight-up "Professor X", they feature a lot of bonuses, but are very specifically keyed to Psionics, sporting no other useful abilities. This puts them on the cheap side, points-wise, but they're packing a lot of power- Mind Bolt can do some damage, and their Force Field power is terrific, letting them equal the toughness of just about anyone in MDC Body Armor.

-They can pack three Super-Psionic Powers to start with, but are barred from three of the best ones- Mind Wipe, Mentally Possess Others & Psi-Sword- until level three, at which point they may select one. Their experience actually gains them powers VERY slowly, meaning you really have to specialize, but you can have all three of those "barred" powers by your fourth level.

"Mentally Possess Others" Mind Control (Physical Body is Defenseless) (3 pp/rank)
"Psi-Sword" Damage 11 (Penetrating) (12 points + Penetrating) (Increases w/ Experience to +13 Damage)
"Mind Wipe" Affliction (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Transformed Memories) (Subtle 2) (Progressive +2, Cumulative) (4 pp/rank)

-Psi-Swords, notably, do 4D6 Damage to start, which is about +11 Damage in M&M! It thus matches the output of almost any type of energy weapon in the Main Rulebook, but the very next level gives you ANOTHER 2D6, boosting it to +13! Therefore, a 4th-level Mind Melter is one of the best melee classes in the game, doing Rail Gun damage up close- much more than the Cyber-Knight, the only other class to gain this power.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:48 am Spectacular!
Glad you approve. :D

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Warhammer 40,000 vs. RIFTS

Glitter Boy [ PL 10 / 190 PP ]
• The Glitter Boy doesn't have any optional equipment, just his standard USA-G10 Chromium Guardsman Armor and "Boom Gun."

Space Marine Veteran Sergeant ( PL 11 / 175 PP ]
• The Veteran Sergeant has a few options, so we'll make him an Ultramarine (giving him their Chapter Trait) and replace his Boltgun with a Power Sword.

Pre-Fight Predictions
• If the Space Marine can close to melee, he should be able to finish off the Glitter Boy. But if the Glitter Boy lands his initial shots, it'll be all over.

Prelude
Veteran Sergeant Exemplum of the Ultramarines had seen many a strange site in his centuries of service. Whatever strange sorcery the accursed Eldar had been weaving in that forest had apparently shifted him in space... Exemplum didn't understand sorcery, he didn't want to understand sorcery. But he knew enought to recognize it and to hate it. He had been with his battle-brothers in a dense alpine forest, pursuing the xenos deep into the treeline. Then there had been a flash of oddly colored lights, a sound like a chainsword cleaving through paper, and now he was here. Wherever here was.

The landscape was urban, ruined, and very human looking. It lacked the sweeping gothic majesty of most Imperial construction, true, but the scale and scope of it was very human. The buildings were crumbling, the streets cracked and being reclaimed by weeds. To the north, a dry and parched plain of mud was being lapped at by a dirty lake. Obviously the water level had once been much higher... Veteran Sergeant Exemplum's vox-link was silent. The glowing green runes on his helmet's HUD indicated that it was working, showing the four full pillars of clarity, but there was no one speakign on the link. He might have been sperated from his brethen or they might be injured and unresponsive. The Codex Astartes was clear, reconnecting with his squad and his company was his priority, reconnoitring the area was secondary... and continuing his mission to purge the xenos, if encountered, tertiary.

Exemplum's armored boot cracked the dried mud beneath him with his next step. His keen, genetically-engineered ears noted the sound of metal. Wary of a mine, he looked down. Just an old sign of some sort... a road marker perhaps? The words weren't in either High Gothic or Low, but the alphabet looekd similar enough: "N Lake Shore Dr" read one, "W Montrose Ave" read the other.

Guy Les Gars Échantillon had thought it was a bad idea to venture into Old Chicago, but his freinds had insisted. Only a fool would listen to a Juicer, Guy thought to himself, Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would listen to a Juicer, a Crazy, and a Wizard. So here I am... The crownless king of all idiots.

The had been ambushed by a patrol of Skele-Bots on the northern outskirts of town and had elected to break up into smaller groups to evade them. The were supposed to meet up here, on the place the old maps called "Cricket Hill" once they'd made their escape. So far, nothing. Suddenly, his armor's radar started to ping. It was reading either a powered armor or a small robot... Heading towards his position from the south. Fifteen feet tall and shiny chrome, Guy knew he wasn't going to be able to stay hidden from whatever it was. He stomped to the crest of the hill and used the telescopic sights to take a closer look. It kind of looked like a wingless SAMAS or maybe a Northen Gun Sampson suit. The deep blue color was quite a departure from anything he'd ever seen the Coalition States use, but the skulls and lightning bolts that decorated it left no doubt. It was definetly C.S. military or an affliated mercenary.

His laser range finder pinged the target at 880 yards and closing at a steady 3.5 MPH...

Exemplum's Auspex unit suddenly screamed a warning. Enemy spotted: 0.8 klicks, 30° north by northeast... Exemplum spun to face the enemy. Stowing his auspex with his left hand as he raised his bolt pistol in his right. There it was, four and a half meters tall and as shining like the sun. Exemplum didn't recognize the configuration. Some sort of armor? Perhaps a robot? The horns on its head and its clawed hands made a mockery of the sacred human form. The large cannon on its shoulder spoke to no intent other than hostile. Whatever this thing was, it would fall before the Emperor's Angel of Death.

Both combatants are 2640' from one another and no one is suprised. Space Marine Initiative: 1d20+7 = [9]+7 = 16; Glitter Boy Initiative: 1d20+3 = [7]+3 = 10.

Round One
Exemplum knows that a big gun almost always means a long range, but he was armed for close-quarters fighting in a dense forest. His bolt pistol is well out of range, so he draws his Power Sword and rushes towards the shiny foe as fast as the terrain allows.

The Space Marine will attempt an Athletics Check (DC 15) to run faster. Space Marine Athletics: 1d20+12 = [14]+12 = 26. Easily done. Using both his Move and his Standard Actions to run, the Marine moves 240' closer to the Glitter Boy.

Guy could see that the weird blue Dead Boy was clearly coming towards him with intent. But he didn't seem to be especially swift... He flipped the safety switch of his trusty "Boom Gun" from the safe to fun setting and took careful aim.

The Glitter Boy will use the Aim Action with his Improved Aim Advantage.

Round Two
Exemplum's armor's auto-senses were ticking down the distance between him and the foe. Closer and closer, but still too great a distance for a shot to be anything but a waste of the Emperor's sacred ammunition... He kept running.

The Space Marine will attempt another Athletics Check (DC 15) to run faster. Space Marine Athletics: 1d20+12 = [15]+12 = 27. He might be using too many good dice rolls early folks!

Guy's laser range-finder chirped at him. The target was now 2,160' away, quite comfortably within the optimal range of the Boom Gun. The blue Dead Boy was trying to bob and weave, but he was clearly more concerned about closing the distance than in seeking cover. An easy target... Had this idiot never heard of a Glitter Boy and what his gun could do? He either had much better armor than anything Guy had ever heard of or he was crazier than a Juicer with a M.O.M. implant. Well, let's find out...

BOOM!

The Glitter Boy fires, using his Improved Aim (from last round) and Accurate Attack for the full +5/–5: 1d20+15 = [6]+15 = 21 versus Dodge 16; It's a hit.

The Space Marine is well outside the range of the Boom Gun's sonic boom (and he has an Immunity to Dazzle Effects anyway) so we'll just ignore that. The Boom Gun's primary effect is Damage 15, well over the Marine's Impervious [7] Power Armor... Base DC 15+15-5 = DC 25; Space Marine Toughness: 1d20+12 = [2]+12 = 14. Two degrees of failure, our Marine is dazed until the end of their next turn and has a –1 circumstance penalty to further checks against damage.

Round Three
Exemplum is knocked for a loop, but manages to retain his footing. By the Throne, it sounded like he'd just been hit by a krak missile... But whatever that gun was, it had ripped into his armor like a lascannon through parchment paper. There were a tousand little metal flechettes studding his breastplate and he could feel the blood dripping down his flank. He was still more than 600 meters from the target. He had to get closer. He had to get into firing range... He had to... Damnit. He had to take cover. There. Some sort of rotting hulk of a machine. Looked thick enough...

The Space Marine will use a Hero Point to edit the scence and take cover behind a burnt out wreck of a car. The Glitter Boy counters this tactic by using a double move of his own - 1,800'! - to reposition himself roughly the same disance away but at an angle where he can draw line fo sight to the Space Marine.

Round Four
Exemplum watched the shiny hulk as it dashed with inhuman speed laterally, encircling his position but keeping the disance. 609.6 meters according to the range finder in his helmet. By the Throne, he'd give his left arm for a lascannon right now...

The Space Marine will attempt another Athletics Check (DC 15) to run. Space Marine Athletics: 1d20+12 = [5]+12 = 17. There's now 1,920; between them.

Guy is shocked to see the blue Dead Boy back on his feet and chargin at him again. He hadn't expected to finish him off in a single shot, true, but he certainly didn't see very many targets get back up this eager to continue either. Whatever this thing was, it was tough and it had some sort of oversized gun in one hand and a glowing blue sword in the other... He couldn't risk letting it get much closer...

BOOM!

The Glitter Boy fires, again using Accurate Attack for the full +5/–5: 1d20+10 = [19]+10 = 29 versus Dodge 16; It's not just a hit but a Critical Hit thanks to the Boom Gun's Improved Critical [2]. The Glitter Boy opts for the Increased Effect option for the crit. Base DC 15+15-5+5 = DC 30; Space Marine Toughness: 1d20+12-1 = [4]+12-1 = 15. Three degrees of failure! The Marine is staggered and now has a -2 circumstance penalty to further checks against damage.

Round Four
Exemplum is lost in a daze of pain and anger. He staggers forward, gritting his teeth.

Guy is flabbergasted, how the hell was this thing - for there was no way it could be human! - still standing!?

BOOM!

The Glitter Boy fires: 1d20+5 = [14]+5 = 19 versus Dodge 16. A hit. Base DC 15+15 = DC 30; Space Marine Toughness: 1d20+12-2 = [10]+12-2 = 20. Dazed and now a -3 to further checks against damage.

Round Five
Exemplum drops prone, hopping to take some small degree of cover.

BOOM!

The Glitter Boy fires: 1d20+5-5 = [12]+5-5 = 12 versus Dodge 16. A miss.

Round Six
The earth errupts around Exemplum's position, grtting his teeth against he pain he claws his way forward remaining prone.

Guy takes careful aim, tarcking the target and waiting for the right moment.

The Glitter Boy will use the Aim Action again with his Improved Aim Advantage.

Round Seven
The Veteran Sergeant still tries to close the gap... and again the mighty Boom Gun roars.

BOOM!

The Glitter Boy fires, using his Improved Aim (from last round) which cancels the –5 penalty for shooting at a Prone target: 1d20+5 = [14]+5 = 19 versus Dodge 16; It's a hit. Base DC 15+15 = DC 30; Space Marine Toughness: 1d20+12-3 = [6]+9 = 15. Three degrees of failure. The Space Marine is incapacitated.

Post-Fight Analysis
• Dat Boom Gun, tho. The Space Marine was at a big disadvangate here due to the range, a half-mile distance isn't actually that great in a superhero context (between flight, teleportation, super-cars, and the like) or in the context of a military or mecha campaign. But the Space Marine was caught out by the massive range advantage of the Glitter Boy. Nevertheless, he took a hell of a pounding to put down.