Palladium/Rifts into M&M

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Batgirl III

Re: Palladium/Rifts into M&M

Post by Batgirl III »

CRAZY
Rifts Character
Power Level 8 ( 150 PP )

Rifts: Ultimate Edition wrote:I'm not crazy, I just have holes in my head.
ABILITIES
Strength 4
Stamina 5
Agility 5
Dexterity 5
Fighting 7
Intellect 0
Awareness 2
Presence 2

SKILLS
Acrobatics 5 (+10), Athletics 4 (+8), Close Combat [Unarmed] 3 (+12), Deception 6 (+8), Insight 3 (+5), Intimidate 3 (+5), Perception 6 (+8), Ranged Combat [Energy Weapons] 3 (+8), Sleight of Hand 4 (+8), Stealth 5 (+10), Vehicles 2 (+7)

ADVANTAGES
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Close Attack (2), Defensive Roll (2), Diehard, Evasion (2), Equipment (6), Improved Aim, Improved Initiative (5), Power Attack, Trance, Uncanny Dodge

POWERS
Enhanced Healing Regeneration 5 (-1 Every Other Round) [ 5 PP ]
Enhanced Senses Senses 10 (Auditory: Danger Sense, Extended [2]; Visual: Extended [2]; Olfactory: Accurate, Acute, Analytical, Tracking; Tactile: Acute) [ 10 PP ]
Heightened Reflexes and Agility Movement 3 (Safe Fall, Sure-Footed [2]) [ 6 PP ]
Increased Speed Leaping 2 (30'); Speed 4 (30 MPH); Quickness 4 (Two Minutes in Six Seconds) [ 10 PP ]

Minor Psionics Array [ 8 PP Total ][/b]
Telepathy Communication 1 (Mental, Close Range; E: Area, Selective, Subtle [1]) [ 7 PP ]
AE: Mind Reading 6 (E: Subtle [1]; F: Feedback) [ 1 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 30 EP )
Juicer Assassin's Plate Armor Protection 2 (E: Impervious [5]) [ 7 EP ]
Wilk's 320 Laser Pistol Damage 8 (E: Ranged; F: Diminished Range [1]) [ 15 EP ]
Vibro-Sword Damage 3 (Strength-Based; E: Penetrating [5]) [ 8 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (7) Base 2
Parry: (7) Base 0
Fortitude: (8) Base 3
Toughness: (5/7/9) ——
Will: (2) Base 0

WORKSHEET
Attack: 12 Effect: 4 Total: 16 (Unarmed)
Attack: 8 Effect: 8 Total: 16 (Laser Pistol)
Attack: 9 Effect: 7 Total: 16 (Vibro-Sword)
Dodge: 7 Tough: 5/7/9 Total: 12/14/16
Parry: 7 Tough: 5/7/9 Total: 12/14/16
Fort: 8 Will: 2 Total: 10

ABILITIES [ 60 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 22 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 24 pp ] +
POWERS [ 39 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 5 pp ] =
150 PP TOTAL

COMPLICATIONS
Disability/Obsession/Phobia/Quirk: The Crazy will have numerous, sometimes even contradictory, mental disorders.
Prejudice (Crazy): The Crazy's obvious M.O.M. implants and the reputation for being, well, crazy do not make them welcome in civilized communities.

Background:
The warriors known as "Crazies" are a cross between ninja masters and raving lunatics. They are trained warriors schooled in the arts of combat and athletics. Then they are augmented through the implantation of tiny electromagnetic devices placed in the brain.

The original project was developed in South America where scientists were experimenting with new methods of curing mental disorders caused by physical damage, such as brain tumors and scar tissue. They discovered a way to artificially stimulate the brain to countermand certain mental disorders and brain damage. Again, nano-technology made it possible to implant tiny devices directly into the brain to control its electrical impulses. Soon they found that they could also influence the performance of the physical body by controlling the motor section of the brain, etc. Pain can be virtually ignored, the healing process can be accelerated, and the body made to perform at an incredible level of efficiency. The brain implants and neurological stimulation also provided the surprising bonus of instilling or bringing out minor psionic abilities in all subjects.

Suddenly, the priority of finding medical cures was thrown out the door in favor of the more lucrative and spectacular developments in human augmentation. The project was renamed M.O.M. Works (Mind Over Matter). The goal, as with the Juicer, was to create the super human, except instead of chemical enhancement, the brain is effectively rewired to respond in a particular way.

Surprisingly, this augmentation works better on humans than on animals or even mutant animals. Unfortunately, the M.O.M conversion has a tendency to wear out the human body. But the worst side effect is that the subject becomes increasingly psychologically and/or emotionally unbalanced, hence the name "Crazies" (these characters are sometimes referred to as "Mamma Boys," a slang term derived from the M.O.M. acronym).

Notes:
Here we have one of my least favorite trends in gaming from the Eighties and Nineties: The Wacky Mad-Man. On paper, the idea doesn't seem to be too bad, the problem is entirely in the execution... The dreaded "Fish Malk" being all to common.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Kind of ironic that Jab ends his post on the Rogue Scholar with the words "given the reputation Rifts has towards Power Creep," at the same moment that I'm posting the Crazy. :roll:
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

In the CS,Public Enemy #1 isn't a Dangerous D-Bee rebel or a Psychotic Magic Wielder, it's a LIBRARIAN OVER 80 YEARS OLD.

Now,just let that sink in for a minute.Don't worry,i'll wait right here......Isn't that thought just the most messed up thing EVER?! :shock:
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

She’s also best friends with the goddess Isis, the second most powerful Cyber-Knight alive is her sworn-for-life bodyguard, and she’s on a first-name basis with the heads of state of three major world powers, two extra-dimensional empires, and multiple deities.

Canonically, Erin is the person who led the group that took down the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:40 am She’s also best friends with the goddess Isis, the second most powerful Cyber-Knight alive is her sworn-for-life bodyguard, and she’s on a first-name basis with the heads of state of three major world powers, two extra-dimensional empires, and multiple deities.

Canonically, Erin is the person who led the group that took down the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
And Karl Prosek and the Coalition know more than anybody that Knowledge Is Power. Tarn is the holder of the most knowledge of any living human on Earth. She is EXCEPTIONALLY dangerous, and they are right to fear her.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Great Crazy! I was hoping you'd do that one, because I didn't feel like diving into all their stuff :). I'd dismissed the class early on because of (drumroll please) lame art, and never really looked up much except for Palladium's beloved "Crazy Hero" charts. They LOVE THOSE FREAKIN' CHARTS. I swear they're unchanged in Heroes Unlimited and TMNT and Other Strangeness. I mean, Palladium always loved randomly-rolling character stuff on charts, but in this case, they went to town.

And yeah, they more or less lionized the "Be an annoying ass at the gaming table" player. I've told the story repeatedly of a friend playing HU and delaying the start of the adventure because "I'm just gonna spin on my head!" and then DEMANDING that we enable his behavior, suggesting he'd fight my character to the death if I smacked him out of his spin. It basically advertises itself to people who get off on annoying others, demanding attention, and pouting if they don't get it.

Asking someone who's naturally a bit socially-stunted to TRY to play an insane person is a really dangerous prospect. Very few can pull this off and not just aggravate all their teammates.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:40 am She’s also best friends with the goddess Isis, the second most powerful Cyber-Knight alive is her sworn-for-life bodyguard, and she’s on a first-name basis with the heads of state of three major world powers, two extra-dimensional empires, and multiple deities.

And leave us not forget that part of her reputation is bolstered by the NGR one of the biggest tech powerhouses in the world where shes looked at like some Hollywood icon
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

COSMO-KNIGHT
Rifts Character
Power Level 15 ( 300 PP )

ABILITIES
Strength 6
Stamina 14
Agility 2
Dexterity 2
Fighting 8
Intellect 2
Awareness 5
Presence 6

SKILLS
Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+10), Expertise [Astrogation] 12 (+14), Expertise [Per Civilian Identity] 3 (+5), Expertise [Demon & Monster Lore] 8 (+10), Expertise [Tactics] 10 (+12), Perception 7 (+12), Persuasion 9 (+15), Ranged Combat [Cosmic Weapon] 6 (+8), Technology 3 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
Assessment, Extraordinary Effort, Favored Environment [Zero-G], Improved Initiative (3), Inspire (3), Interpose, Languages (2), Leadership, Lionhearted, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Seize Initiative, Well-Informed

POWERS
Bio-Regeneration Regeneration 10 (-1 Penalty Every Round) [ 10 PP ]
Cosmic Armor Immunity 9 (Disease, Environmental Cold, Fatigue, Poisons/Toxins, Pressure, Radiation, Suffocation, Vacuum); Protection 4 (E: Impervious [17]) [ 30 PP ]
Cosmic Blast Damage 10 (E: Perception Ranged) [ 30 PP ]
Galactic Awareness Enhanced Skill 6 (Expertise: Astrogation +12); Senses 2 (Mental: Direction Sense, Distance Sense) [ 8 PP ]
Horror Factor Affliction 5 (Resist/Recover: Will; Conditions: Dazed and Vulnerable, Stunned and Defenseless); E: Area [Perception], Extra Condition; F: Limited to Two Degress) [ 10 PP ]
Resisance to Energy Immunity 20 (Any Energy Descriptor) [ 20 PP ]
Superluminal Flight Movement 3 (Space Travel [3]); Flight 8 (500 MPH) [ 22 PP ]

Cosmic Weapon (32 Base; F: Easily Removable) [ 20 PP Total ]
Melee Attack Damage 16 (Strength-Based; E: Improved Critical [2], Penetrating [13], Reach [1]) [ 32 PP ]
AE: Thrown Attack Damage 16 (Strength-Based; E: Ranged) [ 1 PP ]
AE: Force Field Deflect 10 (E: Redirect, Reflect) [ 1 PP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (12) Base 10
Parry: (12) Base 4
Fortitude: (14) Base 0
Toughness: (18) ——
Will: (8) Base 3

WORKSHEET
Attack: 10 Effect: 6 Total: 16 (Unarmed)
Attack: —— Effect: 10 Total: 10 (Cosmic Blast)
Attack: 8 Effect: 22 Total: 30 (Cosmic Weapon, Melee)
Attack: 8 Effect: 22 Total: 30 (Cosmic Weapon, Thrown)
Dodge: 12 Tough: 18 Total: 30
Parry: 12 Tough: 18 Total: 30
Deflect: 10 Tough: 18 Total: 28
Fort: 14 Will: 8 Total: 22

ABILITIES [ 90 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 25 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 18 pp ] +
POWERS [ 150 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 17 pp ] =
300 PP TOTAL

COMPLICATIONS
Code of Honor: Cosmo-Knights are sworn to uphold a strict code of conduct, violation of their code can lead to a Cosmo-Knight losing all their powers.
Vulnerability (The Kink in the Knight's Armor): Cosmo-Knights are vulnerable to magic. Their Toughness is not Impervious against magical attacks.

Notes:
Just about any discussion of RIFTS will, inevitably, lead to discussions of power-gamers and the over the top characters it is possible to build in the game. Near the top of any list of the munchkin character classes will be the Cosmo-Knight. Now, on the one hand, the Cosmo-Knight is kind of a ridiculous character: 500+ M.D.C. body armor that they can summon with a thought, total immunity to heat/plasma/fire based weapons and only taking 1/100th of damage from any other energy weapon, energy blasts that can slag even M.D.C. Mechas in one hit... But, really, if the Cosmo-Knight is treated as he was intended to be used, a Superman or Green Lantern class superhero that is expected to fight starships and giant space monsters, then he really isn't that powerful. Context is key.
Jabroniville

SAMAS Pilots

Post by Jabroniville »

COALITION ELITE ROBOT POWER ARMOR O.C.C. (SAMAS Pilot)
Role:
Elite Soldiers
PL 10 (172)
STRENGTH
2/7 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 6 (+7)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Perception 4 (+5)
Technology 6 (+7)
Treatment 2 (+3)
Vehicles 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Benefit 2 (Rank- CS Soldier), Equipment 2 (CS Gear), Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"SAMAS Power Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [78]
Enhanced Strength 5 (10)
Protection 9 (Extras: Impervious 11) (20)
Immunity 7 (Hot, Cold, Radiation, Pressure, Vacuum, Suffocation 2) (7)
Senses 9 (Infravision, UV Vision, Low-Light Vision, Extended Vision 2, Extended Hearing, "Radar"- Ranged Radius Radio Sense) (9)
Leaping 1 (15 feet) (1)
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14) -- (15)
  • AE: Speed 5 (60 mph) (5)
"Rocket Launcher" Blast 10 (Feats: Reach 3) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (33)
Immunity 4 (Visual & Audio Dazzles) (4)
Stealth -4 (-2)
-- (97 points)

"Military Hardware" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [23]
"Rail Gun" Blast 13 (Feats: Ranged 3) (Extras: Penetrating 8) (37 points)

Equipment:
"CS Gear"
Mini-Computer (2)
Tinted Visor, Loudspeaker, etc. (3)
"Assorted Gear" Gas Masks, Radios, etc. (4)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
SAMAS Punch +5 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Rail Gun +7 (+13 Ranged Damage, DC 28)
Rocket Launcher +10 Area (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2 (+11 SAMAS Armor), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (The Coalition States)- All Coalition military personell are expected to uphold the virtues of the CS, and are subject to "reorientation", or worse, if they stray.
Enemy (Tolkeen)- The Magic-heavy state is anathema to the Coalition States.
Hatred (D-Bees, Psychics, Magic)
Power Loss (Flight- High Altitudes)- The SAMAS flies with less skill and capability at above 1000m.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 101 / Defenses: 13 (172)

-The SAMAS is the iconic "Power Troop" of the Coalition- resembling their "Dead Boy" armor considerably, they max out the shoulders, add fold-down wings (SO COOL, and way better than most "Flying Powersuits" in conception), and throw in a frickin' Rail Gun. A general expectation is that an elite CS force will include a small handful of these guys, backing up a larger force of Dead Boys.

-I threw the Rocket Launcher onto the Armor (it's kind of attached to it), but the Rail Gun, being one of the more impressive regular pieces of artillery in the Rifts-verse, is a full-on Device.

-Despite the impressive visage, they aren't even close to the best Power Armor in the Main Rulebook, being about a third as tough (250 vs. 770 MDC) and hitting a third as hard (1D4 vs. 3D6, both x10) as the distinctive Glitter Boy. The idea, of course, is that the Glitter Boy is a Player Character, while these guys are NPCs you fight in groups. The Coalition also has numerous other robots sporting greater muscle power, but these are less common. The famous "Power Creep" of the setting adds in dozens of Power Armor suits with far greater power, including a couple of CS ones.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:04 am Image
COSMO-KNIGHT
Rifts Character
Power Level 15 ( 300 PP )

COMPLICATIONS
Code of Honor: Cosmo-Knights are sworn to uphold a strict code of conduct, violation of their code can lead to a Cosmo-Knight losing all their powers.
Vulnerability (The Kink in the Knight's Armor): Cosmo-Knights are vulnerable to magic. Their Toughness is not Impervious against magical attacks.

Notes:
Just about any discussion of RIFTS will, inevitably, lead to discussions of power-gamers and the over the top characters it is possible to build in the game. Near the top of any list of the munchkin character classes will be the Cosmo-Knight. Now, on the one hand, the Cosmo-Knight is kind of a ridiculous character: 500+ M.D.C. body armor that they can summon with a thought, total immunity to heat/plasma/fire based weapons and only taking 1/100th of damage from any other energy weapon, energy blasts that can slag even M.D.C. Mechas in one hit... But, really, if the Cosmo-Knight is treated as he was intended to be used, a Superman or Green Lantern class superhero that is expected to fight starships and giant space monsters, then he really isn't that powerful. Context is key.
My boys. I loved the Cosmo-Knight concept, being like I said, this love child of a Green Lantern, a Herald of Galactus and Rom: The Space Knight. And I actually would say their high power level is justified in that they have a set of rules that they MUST follow or risk losing their powers. Granted, it's a VERY flexible set of rules, but it does offer them some RP limitations on what they can do.

I'll admit, when I do my own conversions of them, I tend to beef up their Strength scores, making them at the very least mid-level flying bricks. The superstrength scaling in Rifts is surprisingly low, and the kind of strength displays you see in some of the art is technically impossible under the rules. Like, take this for example:

Pretty badass, right? Only I'm pretty sure that even with Robotic superstrength, no combat cyborg has the kind of muscle to pull it off. So I just say "screw it" and apply a strength scale equivalent to the Marvel Universe to Rifts. Juicers are movie Captain Americas in most stats, but with Spider-Man style speed and agility. Glitterboys are capable of lifting battle tanks over their heads. And the average Cosmo-Knight could arm-wrestle Ben Grimm or Colossus evenly, but needs the hitting power of their cosmic weapon to hit the big leagues like Thor, Hercules or the Hulk. And some gods, demi-gods and Mega-Heroes have legit Class 100 strength.

And like I mentioned, I did a custom edit of that image to get what I consider in universe the "iconic" Cosmo-Knight look:

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ares wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:40 pm And like I mentioned, I did a custom edit of that image to get what I consider in universe the "iconic" Cosmo-Knight look:

I'm gonna "borrow" this picture,Ares.Just thought you should know. :D

I,unfortunately,could never get my head wrapped around these guys as they were,imho,all over the place when it came to concept.
I'm also not much of a power gamer,so...:)
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:53 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:47 pm
Chris Brady wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:32 pm Headhunters are actually one step below the Combat 'Borg, and definitely not the baseline soldier/adventurer type. The Headhunter wants cybernetics, to give them they edge in a combat. It's a common misconception from the core book.
Who's the baseline guy, then? The Main Rulebook tends towards specific concepts & classes (Scholar, Scientist, Wizard, Fixer, Doctor, Juice-Monkey, Punk Kid, Dragon). The Coalition Classes are kind of "NPC-ish". The Headhunter came off as more of a basic dude.
My vote goes to the Vagabond,as that's what 90% of the NPC's in the world are.
Actually, it's the Coalition Soldier, technically. He's the baseline combat adventurer, as you can reskin him to be any type of fighting man. Has the same type of training you'd get for trying to survive and explore.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Chris Brady wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:29 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:53 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:47 pm

Who's the baseline guy, then? The Main Rulebook tends towards specific concepts & classes (Scholar, Scientist, Wizard, Fixer, Doctor, Juice-Monkey, Punk Kid, Dragon). The Coalition Classes are kind of "NPC-ish". The Headhunter came off as more of a basic dude.
My vote goes to the Vagabond,as that's what 90% of the NPC's in the world are.
Actually, it's the Coalition Soldier, technically. He's the baseline combat adventurer, as you can reskin him to be any type of fighting man. Has the same type of training you'd get for trying to survive and explore.
Yeah,but the CS Grunt(and believe you me,there are multiple versions due to territory and Service Branch) has additional OOC skills that the combat adventurer wouldn't have...
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Why wouldn’t a “combat adventurer” have military training? Presumably they were part of a militia or paramilitary organization (if not an actual Coalition Grunt) prior to mustering out and seeking fame and fortune in the wilderness...
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

My boys. I loved the Cosmo-Knight concept, being like I said, this love child of a Green Lantern, a Herald of Galactus and Rom: The Space Knight. And I actually would say their high power level is justified in that they have a set of rules that they MUST follow or risk losing their powers. Granted, it's a VERY flexible set of rules, but it does offer them some RP limitations on what they can do.

I'll admit, when I do my own conversions of them, I tend to beef up their Strength scores, making them at the very least mid-level flying bricks. The superstrength scaling in Rifts is surprisingly low, and the kind of strength displays you see in some of the art is technically impossible under the rules. Like, take this for example:
Yeah me too I made them immensely Powerful more so then Green Lanterns but restricted because they serve the cosmic forge and must follow its code of conduct or be expelled

A fallen Cosmo Knight serves Orkus with 3 friends basically the Black Council and woe momma are they nasty

And I did the same thing with strength as well marvel levels are very good points to use imo
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories