I now have Wild Talents 2nd Edition.

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Hoid

I now have Wild Talents 2nd Edition.

Post by Hoid »

I’ve just purchased Wild Talents 2nd Edition (the corebook), and am reading through it slowly and carefully. I own Godlike, but Wild Talents looks a lot more flexible. Plus, reading the “What if?” future timeline of Godlike has been a blast.
Arkrite

Re: I now have Wild Talents 2nd Edition.

Post by Arkrite »

Never heard of it.
What's it about?
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Well, Godlike is a supers RPG using a custom system -the One Roll Engine (ORE)- set in WWII. Despite the name, Godlike’s supers are actually fairly low-powered. There’re no costumed characters; players portray Allied soldiers who have ‘Talents’—-superpowers. Very, very gritty stuff.

Wild Talents is much broader in scope and can handle considerably greater scales of power, including a Four-Colors style of supers gaming. Wild Talents is setting-generic, at its core, but—-it does feature a “What if?” setting that extrapolates what would happen to the Godlike setting if much more powerful superhumans appeared on the scene.
Davies

Post by Davies »

It also (or at least my PDF copy also) contains a brilliant essay by Kenneth Hite on building superheroic worlds that I'd strongly recommend to anyone interested in the subject.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Davies wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:49 am It also (or at least my PDF copy also) contains a brilliant essay by Kenneth Hite on building superheroic worlds that I'd strongly recommend to anyone interested in the subject.
That essay alone is almost worth the price of admission.

That's a great book overall, even if I don't completely grok all the mechanics.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I had originally picked up the book because I'd heard it had the most comprehensive character creation system ever done, and I wanted to idea mine it for the RPG system I'm working on currently. I honestly didn't find the system all that appealing or compatible with what I wanted to do, so I hadn't gotten all that much out of the book before reading this thread.

After reading this thread and the essays on designing settings, my perceived value of the book has done a complete 180. So a big "thank you" to you guys for helping me get the most out of my RPG obsession. :D
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Topping this as well, planning to revisit this book a little later.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.