Rethinking Multiverse - The Animated series

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Ares
Site Admin

Rethinking Multiverse - The Animated series

Post by Ares »

So back on RoninArmy I created Megaverse - The Animated Series, my own take on the merged universe concept as seen through the lens of an animated series. The goal was to have multiple merged settings, but take an 'animated series' approach, sort of like how the really good animated series will give us a 'Best of' condensed take on franchises.

Well, I've recently thought about re-starting the concept here, only as Multiverse: The Animated Series, if only to avoid any issues with Palladium.

Now, the main idea is that there'll be a primary universe where most of the fun stuff happens, but there will be several alternate realities who are just as viable and interesting in their own right. For instance, the main setting is going to involve the DC Universe, the Marvel Universe, the Dresden Files, the Ninja Turtles, Gargoyles, Ghostbusters, Kamen Rider, Street Fighter, and so on.

I also plan on having a more 'extreme' setting where the Image/Wildstorm characters live, but I'd also transpose John Constantine to said setting as well, along with possibly other heroes from settings like Valiant, the Ultraverse, Mortal Kombat and the like. Make it more of "superheroes with a stronger super soldier aesthetic" sense.

The "Heroes as Villains" Earth would have be sort of a Crime Syndicate meets the Squadron Supreme vibe, where Hyperion is the leader of the Syndicate, but his outfit is blue instead of red and he has a big H on his chest. Likewise, Power Princess is basically Superwoman, Owlman stays as Owlman, etc. Very much influenced by the Squadron from Avengers Assemble and the CSA from Justice League: Crisis on Two Worlds. And there'd be evil versions of Marvel characters and the like as well.

I also plan on having a RPG earth where I fit in as many RPG franchises into one setting, Champions, Silver Age Sentinels, etc, while Rifts would get its own Earth as the melting pot of Post Apocalyptic settings.

The thing I'm debating right now is due to a series I'm reading called Revolution, which combines a lot of the Hasbro franchises (G.I. Joe, Transformers, Rom - The Space Knight, Micronauts) into a single universe, and I find myself torn. On the one hand, I was planning on having most of those franchises in the main Earth, but now I wonder if it wouldn't be more fun to put them in their own universe, maybe make it heavily influenced by the toys and animation of the 80s, such as the Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, He-Man, ThunderCats, Captain Planet, Space Ghost and the other Hana-Barbera heroes, etc. I mean, making G.I. Joe, the Transformers and ROM fit in the main setting was dirt simple, but I don't know. I'm just going to have to think about it. What are your thoughts?

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
RUSCHE

Re: Rethinking Multiverse - The Animated series

Post by RUSCHE »

First off I love that picture. That in itself gets my mind going. I think the toy line way to go sounds great. I am trying to work on something similar. My idea is a legacy hero using The Greatest American Hero. His son inherits the magic jammies after his parents die and Bill Maxwell trains him. My world would also incorporate Six million dollar man, Captain Marvel (tv version) , Wonder woman and some homebrew villain types. I can see how it is hard to choose a setting.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I've never been a "Merged U" kind of guy, but throwing together a ton of franchises into one world might be fun. My only issue would be that if all the hero teams got along... then why wouldn't they be one big hero team? Unless they worked in different parts of the world or something :).

I'm eager to see this thread develop again, though. I remember teasing you ages ago for letting the old "Megaverse" thread slide! I promise to comment on everything you post... if you start commenting on Spidey builds again :).
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Go for it man. i love reading your Megaverse stuff over at ATT

I wish I had the time and drive to develop My Little Universe more. I've got like a million ideas about it I mull over at work, but can never get to writing it down. I wish I had some sort of thought recorder to get it all down.

Sadly, it would likely be occasionally interrupted by thoughts of me in a hottub with Asuka and Rosemary though, but that is my way.