Thoughts on Cortex Prime?

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Jetstream

Thoughts on Cortex Prime?

Post by Jetstream »

So, I spotted this the other day.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/53 ... aying-gam/

Cam's pretty cool, and I've always been interested in Cortex games, but I've never really gotten into one before. So I've pretty much backed this entirely on the strength of Cam being cool.

But, hey, this system's been used for a lot of games, with two major Supers games that I'm aware of, and I know that's a lot of our ballywick.

What do y'all think? Got anything to say on Cortex that might give me further post hoc justification for my impulse purchase? :P
Psistrike

Re: Thoughts on Cortex Prime?

Post by Psistrike »

Darn you, Jetstream. You had to put temptation before me. :? Pledged at $35 level since I have some cash to spare this month. :oops:
Jetstream

Post by Jetstream »

Psistrike wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 12:16 am Darn you, Jetstream. You had to put temptation before me. :? Pledged at $35 level since I have some cash to spare this month. :oops:
Heh. My bad? :D
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

I've played the Firefly RPG at a Con and was impressed enough to pick it up myself and run a game in it. the Firefly RPG is not the best training tool for the rules so I backed this hoping it would explain it better and because it's an interesting system.

The crux of the rules are about die pool building.
die type for attributes
+ die type for skills
+d6 if specialty
+d8 for distinction (or a d4 and gain a plot point)
etc.

like M&M there are no HP, you have Complications that if they reach a certain threshold you are out for the scene (or if you're involved in a High stakes roll). It's very GM driven.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Jetstream

Post by Jetstream »

Flynnarrel wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:58 pm I've played the Firefly RPG at a Con and was impressed enough to pick it up myself and run a game in it. the Firefly RPG is not the best training tool for the rules so I backed this hoping it would explain it better and because it's an interesting system.

The crux of the rules are about die pool building.
die type for attributes
+ die type for skills
+d6 if specialty
+d8 for distinction (or a d4 and gain a plot point)
etc.

like M&M there are no HP, you have Complications that if they reach a certain threshold you are out for the scene (or if you're involved in a High stakes roll). It's very GM driven.
Heh, nobody replied for a while so I figured nobody cared. Anyway, cool. We'll see how it goes.

Less than 24 hours to go and nearly to the last stretch goal, so at least I'm getting a hell of a lot of product for my backing :D