Herolab

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Miracle

Herolab

Post by Miracle »

I've been playing around with it and I must say, it's very helpful to have all the stuff at your fingertips without having to flip to the SRD every other minute. The only thing I don't like is that saving characters is not free. But you gotta make your money somehow.
Chogokin

Re: Herolab

Post by Chogokin »

I use it myself, and I think it is absolutely worth buying. It's also pretty cheap, as long as you use it for any game but Pathfinder... ;)
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Yeah I highly recommend Hero Lab. It is far from perfect, but it really does make creating characters easier.

And if you GM games, it has a great feature to help manage combats.

And there is lots of other stuff I don't even use.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Incidentally, I do unofficial support for bugs and new features. :) If I can get it working, I send it on to the people at Lone Wolf and they implement the fixes. My name is a few places in the source code now.
proditor

Post by proditor »

I'm a huge fan of the product and use it for M&M and D&D 5e (mostly just to track my player's characters).
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

I'm sure it's a nice product but after the Warmachine episode with Lone Wolf, I wont be buying any of their products.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Sidious wrote:I'm sure it's a nice product but after the Warmachine episode with Lone Wolf, I wont be buying any of their products.
Ah. I take it something happened with Army Builder?
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

yeah, long winded condescending letter about how we were using the term "Army Builder" incorrectly as it's a copyrighted term, even though it perfectly describes the function of a program. That privateer should "educate" us on the term or face legal action.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Sidious wrote:yeah, long winded condescending letter about how we were using the term "Army Builder" incorrectly as it's a copyrighted term, even though it perfectly describes the function of a program. That privateer should "educate" us on the term or face legal action.
Ah. Yeah, Rob is a bit aggressive on the intellectual property front. I'm given to understand that they've had issues with people trying to rip the program off, including at least one attempt by the owner of an army-building game.

And that's not even getting into the piracy problems they've encountered... Army Builder is the reason that Hero Lab has a limited number of licenses.