Shilling for a Kickstarter: Prowlers & Paragons - Ultimate Edition

If you want to talk about Kickstarter, Go Fund Me and other Crowdsource projects, do it here.
proditor

Shilling for a Kickstarter: Prowlers & Paragons - Ultimate Edition

Post by proditor »

If this is in the wrong place, or verboten, smack my ass and call me a bad boy.

That said, if this is the right place, I'm pretty jazzed about the new Prowlers and Paragons Ultimate Edition currently being Kickstarted by Evil Beagle Games.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... =user_menu

I was pretty much not going to look at it at all, I mean I have M&M, and like a thousand converted or created characters, why would I need a new system? But I know someone at the company, and I respect their opinion. They love it, so I took a look at the free quickstart rules. (You can get them here) https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/26 ... Quickstart

And I really like the system. I can sum most of it up for you with a few paragraphs.

For starters, it's a dice pool, and I absolutely loathe those. Wait, I'm not doing this right, am I?

Okay, so why do I like this one? Here's the heart of the game in three parts.

System: Roll a d6. On a 2 or 4, you get one success. On a 6 you get two.

That's it. That's the whole system. Oh, and for every two dice, you can elect to not roll and just take one auto success. The genius in this is moving the onus off of the target number rolled, and to the number of simple successes. It actually makes more dice a better option, unlike Shadowrun or World of Darkness.

So let's say you have Artist (4d) and you need to pass a check, like making a masterpiece or something. You can say $%^& it, it's a 2 success painting (That's pretty good btw) or you could roll to try and do better.

If it's contested, you roll off, or accept auto success. Say two guys are arm-wrestling. They are both Might (4d). One goes for Auto, so has 2 successes, and the other rolls and gets 1, 2, 6, 3, for a total of 3 successes.

Threshold Difficulty
0 Easy
1 Average
2 Hard
3 Daunting
4 Brutal
5 Inhuman
6 Superhuman

Success Table (Contested)
-2 or less: Complete Failure
-1 to 0: Failure with a Silver Lining
1 to 2: Success with a complication
3+: Complete success

There is a cool Minion system, which has become a must for all of my Supers games as well.

The art is really good imho, and they have a dedicated staff who desperately wants to churn out product.

Like I said, I'm biased because I know a guy there, but I think that's counter balanced by me having no desire to get into a new system, and hating dice pools. I am absolutely won over by this one. Give it a look, and if you think it's cool too, throw them a few bucks, or go a little crazy like a did and splurge your gaming allowance.

Either way, thanks for reading my long-winded capsule review.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Shilling for a Kickstarter: Prowlers & Paragons - Ultimate Edition

Post by Ares »

proditor wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:01 am If this is in the wrong place, or verboten, smack my ass and call me a bad boy.
Look, whatever you like to do within the privacy of your own home is your own business. :P

Welcome bad prod, been too long! :D And posting these shorts of things is perfectly fine, just wanted to move it over to the new Crowdfunding forum I installed while you were out.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
proditor

Re: Shilling for a Kickstarter: Prowlers & Paragons - Ultimate Edition

Post by proditor »

Thanks! Real life and a new hobby got a bit distracting.

Hopefully I'll be less of a stranger. :)