Why I stopped playing MSHRPG

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
MisterB

Why I stopped playing MSHRPG

Post by MisterB »

Now don't get me wrong, I love MSHRPG! It fills up a tremendous amount of early twenties and late teens as some of the funnest gaming I've ever done. However after a recent minor rules argument on one of the Facebook groups on how a certain power works. I felt I would rant just a little bit. My nitpicks about the MSHRPG are pretty few, but i'll list them as I house-ruled quite a bit with the system. And when M&M came out , i felt it was the perfect progression from the game MSHRPG. And I've never looked back since.

1. Rank Progression. My only real nitpick about the rank system, was I felt it should have been expanded a little bit more. And should have added two more ranks in the mix from Typical to Unearthly. So Feeble (2) -> Poor (4) -> Typical (6)-> Good (10) -> Excellent (20) -> Remarkable (30) -> New (let's call it fantastic 40 ) -> Incredible (50) -> New (let's call it spectacular 60) -> Amazing (70) -> Monstrous (85)-> Unearthly (100).

2. No Charisma. I felt the popularity system was rather clunky at best, its perfect for say to see if you can persuade someone through your fame or notoriety. But I always added an extra attribute to the game "Charisma" into the mix. Though I did house-rule Psyche as a default charisma score as well. I let Charisma add to your starting Karma

3. Random Character Creation. I used a point based system, and let players use 300 to 350 character points to build their character. I can post the system if people would like to see it.

I defintly loved the simplicity of the system, especially in the Revised basic version. Which was my go-to resource for rules over the advanced. But like I said , once I moved to Mutants and Masterminds, I couldn't go back to MSHRPG and deal with the system anymore. I always end up wanting to throw in all my house rule systems back into it. The old MSH left too much open ended for interpretation. Such as the reason why I posted this rant in the first place. Hyper Speed granting Extra attacks. This person's GM said it would grant one extra attack for every rank point in it.. o.0! This completely breaks the game's system used as such. I could see power stunting, Extra Attacks or perhaps increasing damage to its power rank. But I would never ever let that kind of rule in.
Last edited by MisterB on Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MisterB

Re: Why I stopped playing MSHRPG

Post by MisterB »

Point Based Character Creation
Normally gave 250-350 character points.

Attributes + Resources: Simply spend the Rank Number in Character Points in these areas. Amazing would cost 50 points.
Popularity: You never bought Popularity in this system, this was still for starting characters.
Talents & Contacts: Normal talents & Contacts cost 10 character points, while two stared talents cost 20 points.
Powers: Each power costs 10 points to purchase, then you have to pay for the rank you wish in it. For two stared powers, it costs 20 points to purchase, and then pay for the rank you want in it.
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

ok. umm... good... for... you?

Seriously, I still love the system and get a great amount of fun from it.

But good on you, I guess?
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

What killed me and my fun was the Karma system. So not only did your XP also work as a die booster when necessary, one tiny mistake out of your control could wipe it ALL out. It also didn't help that half the time, you were fighting the Villain's Karma pool.

The rest of the game is fun though!
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

I still love the system, yes it had issues with the Karma system and in my opinion needed more variations in stat block . But the addition of the Ultimate Powers book really was a fantastic resource. It will always hold a special place for me.