Supernatural powers

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
damocles23

Supernatural powers

Post by damocles23 »

Hi, everyone. Needing some ideas. In my campaign, I'm a vampire warrior. I've got all the vampiric immunities, speed, strength, immortality, regeneration not to mention a decent number of combat advantages. I was thinking of commuting some equipment point for movement powers, but what other vampiric abilities would you add to the character? PL 10, by the way.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Supernatural powers

Post by Ares »

Various Vampire Abilities in fiction include the following:

- Some form of mind control or mentalism, often a eye-contact based (IE, comic hypnotism).
- The ability to transform into mist.
- The ability to transform into a bat or wolf, or become a cloud of bats or swarm of rats.
- The ability to summon and control creatures of the night.
- The ability to cling to walls Spider-Man style.
- The ability to ride moon beams, or essentially fly Superman-style at night.
- The ability to influence the weather, up to actual Storm/Thor-style weather control.
- The ability to gain information from someone by drinking their blood.
- The ability to alter ones appearance.
- Superhumanly sharp senses.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Adding to ares great suggestion is a list of the Disciplines from Vampire the masquerade which cover some fo what Ares mentioned but give them some names to use for fluff or focus purposes

Animalism = Control over animals as well as animal traits the vampire can use
Auspex = Superhuman senses up to and including precognition and postcognition
Celerity = Superhuman speed and agility
Dominate = ability to control and manipulate things and people uusaly gaze based
Fortitude = Superhuman toughness inlcuding at the highest level the ability to survive sunlight
Obfuscate = being invisible or unseen even among crowds
Potence = Vampire super strength and its assorted tricks
Presence = controling crowds of people and influencing them or attracting them
Protean = Shapeshifting powers claws fangs melding into earth changing to beasts mist etc
Thaumaturgy = basicaly blood magic

Really all it comes down to is what flavor of vampire are you going for and directing the build along that path
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
damocles23

Post by damocles23 »

So far I've thought up about turning into a swarm or a damaging mist. I was thinking of making them both a rank or two of insubstantial and apply affect corporeal. Would you also put an area or something?
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

you can always link an area affliction or damage effect to the form I think the powers book has a couple of examples
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
damocles23

Post by damocles23 »

In the end, I've settled for metamorph and managed to get a couple forms. The first one is a mist form with some flight, utility and some damage. The other one, though, it's making me go crazy. I'm kind of nuts for thematical powers. Thing is, while my character has a scorpion theme, I didn't find any scorpion in vampire myths. Any ideas?
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Scorpions would be more a mummy thing id think Vamps youre probably stuck with rats or bats and other children of the night ;)

Catsi stories
damocles23

Post by damocles23 »

:lol: I know that, but that's her moniker and I like that too much to change it. Japanese vampire lore is also non existent so I'm having a hard time
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Eastern undead have a very different flavor than Western ones. Though there are Chinese vampires that might work better for you.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
damocles23

Post by damocles23 »

I think I found the powers I want. Hypnosis and shapeshift with some movement skills. The problem now is balancing out flavor with rules. i like being a good swordsman character and hand to hand as well, but I can't seem to balance skills with the crapload of powers a vampire has. I'm PL 10, btw.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Yup, that is thechallenge with points buy systems. :p
As for scorpions, a middle eastern vampire, that changes into a swarm of scorpions or snakes rather than bats or
rats?
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.