M&M Regeneration Question

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Jabroniville

M&M Regeneration Question

Post by Jabroniville »

Hey all! I've just started GMing after building characters for like 12 years, and I had some questions about the use of Regeneration in play:

A few characters took Regeneration, which I know is a notorious "too cheap for what you get" power. Both at small ranks, because neither is a power-gamer and wanted to overwhelm things. BUT...

1) At what point of the round does the Regenerating kick in? A guy with Regeneration 2 recovers once every five rounds, but... does he recover on his turn in the Initiative order? At the beginning of the fifth turn? The end of the fifth turn? The end of the fifth turn of the guy who hit him?

2) Do the "negatives to Toughness" (hereafter referred to as "Bruises") get taken off simultaneously to the Dazed/Staggered/Incapacitated stuff, or separately? I was reading the wording to mean that you removed all the Bruises one-by-one, at which point you then healed from the Conditions, but another player indicated he thought it meant that you removed a Bruise AND, say, a Staggered condition, all at once. That seemed way over-powered to me, but then, the game allows for pretty handy recovery anyhow.

I already basically ruled that it's on a player's Initiative order, and that you recover from Bruises, THEN Conditions once your Bruises are gone. I think those are both more fair, and easier to use. But I'm curious as to the "proper" way.
FuzzyBoots

Re: M&M Regeneration Question

Post by FuzzyBoots »

As per the answers posted to the cross-post, when Regeneration happens is arbitrary but the GM probably ought to standardize whether it happens at the beginning or the end of the turn (also, how to handle the "fractional" ranks like Regeneration 3 or 4, and when to start the counter for the next healing), and it's the "Bruises" first, then other damage conditions from least to worst, the opposite of Healing, which starts with the worst and goes down to Bruises as the last thing to be healed.
Jabroniville

Re: M&M Regeneration Question

Post by Jabroniville »

Greycrusader told me: There’s no official ruling I can find, but my house rule is it takes place at the bottom of the round. That seems to emulate comics regeneration the best IMO.