Suggestions on how to build....

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Tattooedman

Suggestions on how to build....

Post by Tattooedman » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:54 pm

Hello, like the title says - I could use some help/advice on how to build a NPC. The idea is he's a genius who has made several robot bodies that he projects his mind into to operate.

My issue is that I'm unsure on how to build the robots. Should I use Summon, or Alternate form or Morph with the Metamorph option to build the robot forms?

So suggestions? Or is there another option I've not thought of?

Ares
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions on how to build....

Post by Ares » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:52 pm

This sounds mostly like a Summon effect. You'd definitely want to give it the following extras:

-Controlled
-Heroic
-Mental Link

This to me would allow the character to essentially mentally control the robot form at range, and the robot would function as another character. I don't think you need Extended Range to control the Summon if you've got Mental Link, but I could be wrong.

If all the robot bodies are identical, that should be all you need. If the robots can be altered for specific situations (a Combat Heavy Model, an Infiltration Model, a Work in the Lab model, etc.) then you'd need Variable Type. If he has the ability to control multiple robot bodies at once, then you'd Multiple Minions, possibly Horde. You could potentially do something where you have a Heroic Summon for the Master Robots he controls, but then AP off of that a Summon with Multiple Minions and Horde, where he floods the area with mook robots that AREN'T heroic, and thus can be smashed with impunity.

You could possibly include a few Flaws as well, such as the following:
- Limited - Controlling body is incapacitated while controlling robots.
- Limited - Robot bodies must be pre-built in a lab and cannot simply be summoned as a Standard Action

catsi563

Post by catsi563 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:39 pm

Honestly while Ares is spot on if this guys an NPC a simpler solution may present itself.

its the classic doombot scenario. just build the robots and whenever one is destroyed have a hero point ready as the PCs are stunned to learn that the guy was a robot all along. this continues until the PCs discover this pattern and realize that hes elsewhere and they need to track him down

Build the NPC as a standard character.

the tricky part and where Ares suggestion comes into play is if its possible to stop his ability to control a robot in some fashion. if they can then Summons seems the appropriate since hes projecting into the bots with as ares said the added flaws
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories

Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:52 pm

Thanks Ares & catsi. Summon was way easier to build than what i was originally thinking (Morph with several ranks of Metamorph).

Once I get the build finalized I'll share it.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:35 pm

Happy to help! Looking forward to seeing the final product.

catsi563

Post by catsi563 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:00 am

welcome welcome =^_^=
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories