New Green Ronin adventure paths Starting with NetherWars

General discussions about role-playing games. Share stories, ask for advice, talk about the industry, etc.
Davies

Re: New Green Ronin adventure paths Starting with NetherWars

Post by Davies » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:52 pm

I think the long history of the Dragoneye legacy counts for a lot, and there's also Dr. Spectre of the Victory Squadron. Many of the Cryptid clans have a magical side to them as well.

FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:22 pm

Davies wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:52 pm
I think the long history of the Dragoneye legacy counts for a lot, and there's also Dr. Spectre of the Victory Squadron. Many of the Cryptid clans have a magical side to them as well.
Ah, can't believe I forgot about Dragoneye. Probably because I was looking at the Secrets book. Searching within the Players Guide, I now also see the section on magic.
Magic tends to be truly “occult” in Emerald City—secretive and behind-the-scenes—but it exists none the less and is a powerful force for good or evil, depending on how it is used. Of course, “magic” in E.C. is not always what it appears to be. Sometimes the magical forces in Emerald City are actually other effects masquerading as supernatural, from psionic and psychic powers to extradimensional or alien energies or biology. Koschei, for example (see Secrets of Emerald City Chapter 5), is named for a mythic Russian sorcerer, but his mental powers are not truly magical. Gamemasters and players can have some fun with supposedly “mystical” characters who turn out to be charlatans of some sort, particularly the first time anyone tries to nullify or counter their powers using methods effective against real magic!

So far as that real magic goes, it’s found in arcane lore from many different cultures in Emerald City. The area’s Asian population brings with it the mystic secrets of the East, from Taoist sorcery and alchemy to manipulation of chi and the Dragon Lines of the Earth. Dragoneye (see page 70) offers a good look at an Asian mystic in Emerald City. Other ethnic heritages may also have their own magical powers represented here, ranging from Scandanavian to Russian, Japanese, and Native American.

Spellcasters like Madame Macabre (see Secrets of Emerald City Chapter 5) and Abracadaver (from Threat Report) also prove the corrupting forces of evil magic are at work in Emerald City. Even stormers sometimes get in on the act, such as Lord Etheric (from the Prologue of Emerald City Knights) who, although empowered by the Silver Storm, taps into and commands “the dark forces of the ether.” Indeed, the sudden prevalence of malign magicks in Emerald City might cause the cosmic forces of balance to empower a mystic champion of good to combat them, a possible player character hero!
And I had forgotten that Abracadaver is part of Emerald City. :-P He so easily slotted into the Assault on the Nerian Nexus adventure.
My Builds

Current games:
None (Too scatterbrained)

Davies

Post by Davies » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:02 pm

I don't really see that section as saying that magic is not a "major force" in the city, though. "Good guy" magic, maybe, but ...

It's a quibble, I'll admit.