Writing Tournament - Open Invitation to All - See Inside for Details

For those who have a way with words.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Writing Tournament - Open Invitation to All - See Inside for Details

Post by Ares » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:21 am

MacynSnow wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:01 pm
Now this i can work with! Do we put our characters up here or elsewhere Ares?
I'll probably create a thread specifically for the characters when I get home.

Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:47 am

Bane
Weight Class: Cruiserweight.
Full Name: Unknown.
Appearance: Big, muscular and tattooed. Wears his mask most of the time. Image:https://www.writeups.org/wp-content/upl ... Simone.jpg
Abilities: Bane is a strong warrior and tactician.
Bane is a skilled combatant, specializing in many martial arts including Muay Thai and Wrestling.
Occasional usage of Venom, a highly addictive steroidal compound enhances his physical abilities, including his strength (up to ten tons) and healing process, to superhuman levels. Bane sometimes requires a specialized tank to help control the amount of Venom which he injects into his body.

Backstory: Bane's father, Edmund Dorrance (better known as King Snake), had been a revolutionary who had escaped the Caribbean nation of Santa Prisca's court system. The corrupt government decreed that his young son would serve out the man's life sentence, and thus Bane spent his childhood and early adult life in prison. Although he was imprisoned, his natural abilities allowed him to develop extraordinary skills within the prison's walls. He read as many books as he could get his hands on, spent most of his spare time body building in the prison's gym, developed his own form of meditation, and learned to fight in the merciless school of prison life. Because of the cultural and supposed geographical location of Santa Prisca, Bane knew how to speak and read English, Spanish (his native tongue), Portuguese and Latin. Despite his circumstances, he found teachers of various sorts during his incarceration, ranging from hardened convicts to an elderly Jesuit priest, The prison's controllers soon took note of Bane and eventually forced him to become a test subject for a mysterious drug known as Venom,which had killed all other subjects. The Peña Duro prison Venom experiment nearly killed Bane at first, but he survived and found that the drug vastly increases his physical strength, although he needs to take it every 12 hours (via a system of tubes pumped directly into his brain) or he will suffer debilitating side-effects. Upon his escape, Bane became a successful mercenary before his ambitions turned to destroying Batman, about whom he had heard many stories of. Gotham fascinated Bane because, like Peña Duro, fear rules Gotham - but it is the fear of Batman . Bane almost succeeds in his plans but failed. Blaming his failure on his addiction to Venom, Bane swore to kick the habit with mixed results. *Seeking a new purpose in life other than being a mere thug for hire, Bane teamed with Los Defensores.*

Personality: While highly devious and prone to violence, Bane has a code of honor which is often at odds with his mercenary streak. Due to his past history, he has no sympathy to corrupt governments, drug dealers or those who harm the innocent. While he loathes his Venom addiction, he stubbornly insists on dealing with it himself rather than going for medical treatment or attend substance abuse programs. Doctors don't rate high on his buddy list.

* - Alternate timeline of Earth 308.
Last edited by Shadowmask on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:46 am

Ares wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:21 am
MacynSnow wrote:
Holy "Now he tells me!", Batman! :shock:

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:50 am

Shadowmask wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:46 am
Ares wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:21 am
MacynSnow wrote:
Holy "Now he tells me!", Batman! :shock:
Heh, sorry. No worries tho, I've already transferred Cap and Firebird over there, if you want to finish Bane here I'll post him there as well.

All future character write-ups should be posted in that thread, however.

Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:14 am

Bane is done, Next is El Dorado.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:54 am

Okay, I think there's some confusion with the Weight Class system I set up, and really, it might have been better not to include something like that.

The idea was that Heavyweights are the "big gun" heroes, your Superman, Thor, Godzilla, Son Goku types who are the "top tiers" of their respective settings, and due to "crossover power-creep", are roughly on the same playing field here.

Middleweights are basically every hero who isn't a Heavyweight, generally thought of as being anyone from John McClane to Batman to Spider-MAn to Ben Grimm, folks who, if they took on a Heavyweight in a straight up fight, would lose. Not that a Middleweight can't beat a Heavyweight in a fight, but they need to use tactics, cunning and unique attributes they have to win. Ben Grimm would lose to the Hulk in a straight slugfest, but Ben can often hold his own due to superior fighting skills and tactical ability.

Cruiseweights are people who generally fight in the Middleweight category, but who can do something to fight evenly with or straight up being Heavyweights. Folks like Iron Man who are usually Middleweights, but can whip out the Hulkbuster armor to trade blows with the Hulk. Or Green Lanterns who generally don't fight on the level of a guy like Superman, but on occasion can muster the willpower to fight him evenly. Or even folks like Black Bolt, who generally fight on the level of Ben Grimm, but has an "ultimate attack" that can take out even Heavyweights.

The idea was to have a system that gave a general "scale" of a character's abilities without a hard numbers system. But it might be better to just ignore the whole thing entirely.

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:17 am

You specifically named the Batman, Buffy, Captain Marvel, and the Hulk in your examples.

I figured Cassandra was on broadly on par with Bruce; She a better fighter and better at stealth, he’s better at everything else.

Liv Moore is on par with a Buffy‘verse vampire; weaker when not “full on zombie,” but much tougher to injure. Equally strong when in enraged. Buff’verse vampires are basically equal to the Slayer.

Mary Marvel has all of Captain Marvel’s powers... of close enough as to make no nevermind.

She-Hulk isn’t on the Hulk’s level most of the time. But you specifically cite cruiserweights as “generally operate in the Middleweight category, but can in some circumstances” can hang with the heavies. Sounds like Shulkie to me.

Zatanna is one of the most powerful mortal spell-casters in the DCU; If Dr. Fate is a heavyweight, then cruiserweight seems appropriate for her.

You named both John Wick and James Bond as middleweight; Seems exactly like May’s category.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:06 pm

Batgirl III wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:17 am
You specifically named the Batman, Buffy, Captain Marvel, and the Hulk in your examples.

I figured Cassandra was on broadly on par with Bruce; She a better fighter and better at stealth, he’s better at everything else.

Liv Moore is on par with a Buffy‘verse vampire; weaker when not “full on zombie,” but much tougher to injure. Equally strong when in enraged. Buff’verse vampires are basically equal to the Slayer.

Mary Marvel has all of Captain Marvel’s powers... of close enough as to make no nevermind.

She-Hulk isn’t on the Hulk’s level most of the time. But you specifically cite cruiserweights as “generally operate in the Middleweight category, but can in some circumstances” can hang with the heavies. Sounds like Shulkie to me.

Zatanna is one of the most powerful mortal spell-casters in the DCU; If Dr. Fate is a heavyweight, then cruiserweight seems appropriate for her.

You named both John Wick and James Bond as middleweight; Seems exactly like May’s category.
I agree with your rating / logic here. It's just that over in the Write Ups thread, May and Bane (which I know you didn't write) are both listed as Crusieweights.

Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:28 pm

El Dorado is finished.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:46 pm

I always felt bad for El Dorado. The Super Friends multi-cultural characters were well-intentioned but often hilariously stereotypical attempts to add some diversity to the team (showing that folks were conscious about it even in the 70s). And its not like any of them were bad, per say. They just needed a little tweaking to make them less unintentionally cringy.

Apache Chief needed an overhaul when he was re-imagined as Longshadow or Manitou the Raven (I think the Longshadow name with more of Manitou's background would work best). Samurai could be re-imagined as someone wielding the power of the storm god Susano, which would allow for the wind powers and the like. And Black Vulcan just needed to be Black Lightning.

El Dorado, tho, actually pretty much worked as is. He was named after a mythical city, he had some unique magical/illusion abilities, and his outfit would only need a minor update.

Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:12 pm

Oh i agree about El Dorado but i haven't been sold to the 52 (though i took the team Justicia as inspiration for the group i was working on) or the Young Justice versions. I have the dvds of him though.

He was hard to write up as his abilities was so annoyingly vague to the point of non existence.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:58 pm

Ares wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:37 am
Alright, so that's at least one person interested.

My line, no hero team as of yet:

Captain Marvel (Billy Batson, DC Comics)
Kamen Rider Kuuga (Yusuke Godai,Kamen Rider)
Wuji Chang (Heaven's Sword & Dragon's Saber)
Honey Lemon (Big Hero 6 - The Animated Series)
Valkyrie (Vanessa Ashe, Paragons)
Peter Petrelli (Heroes)
Yrel (World of Warcraft)
Alright, so I've got a line-up for my team, and it's only slightly less obscure than Ken's.

I decided as a little challenge I was going to have a character from what I consider the 6 major sources for these kinds of settings, namely Live Action film/television, Animated film/television, Novels, Comic Books/Graphic Novels, Video Games and Tabletop Games. The 7th slot was going to be a wildcard pick. And to be fair, I wanted to make sure the character originated from the source type, rather than just use Capt. Marvel for video games since he's appeared in a couple of them.

So we have:

Captain Marvel = Comic Books
Kamen Rider Kuuga = Live Action television
Honey Lemon = Animated television
Wuji Chang = Novels
Yrel = Video Games
Valkyrie = Tabletop Games
Peter Petrelli = Wildcard

I'll get to work on the write ups.

Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:03 pm

Araña, Living Lightning and Sunspot are done.

Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:12 am

Decided to replace Earth Witch with Vibe - Francisco Ramon (Secret Identity) Justice League (DC Comics). I hope that's okay.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:19 am

Sure, the rosters aren't set in stone until the tournament gets rolling.