Writing Tournament - Open Invitation to All - See Inside for Details

For those who have a way with words.
MacynSnow

Re: Writing Tournament - Open Invitation to All - See Inside for Details

Post by MacynSnow » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:52 am

Alright,got the Entire Arrow-Rogues stated out and ready to rock N' roll! Any thoughts on them?I love getting feedback(as Ares knows,i'm a nice dude 'bout it)...

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:55 am

Also, because I have some weird OCD about creating a visual for my team:

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:30 am

As as some variants:

Masked / Superhero Mode:

Slightly relaxed:

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:44 am

MacynSnow wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:52 am
Alright,got the Entire Arrow-Rogues stated out and ready to rock N' roll! Any thoughts on them?I love getting feedback(as Ares knows,i'm a nice dude 'bout it)...
They look pretty good for the most part, but I'd say the entire Rogue's group is composed of Middleweights, not Cruiseweights. Cruiseweights imply that everyone of them has some attack that can straight up take down a guy like Superman. Now, while I could imagine one or more Rogue's giving Supes a problem or even defeating them, it's via the Batman method of "fighting dirty, rigging the battlefield, exploiting weaknesses".

I could also never figure out what Golden Glider's Golden Gun was suppose to do. Apparently it coats inorganic matter in some golden substance, but when organic matter gets hit, the organics get turned into the golden substance? So it will one-shot kill normal people, but it's useless against everything else?

I'd have probably gone with something where the you've got two settings for the gun: The basic setting lets you coat stuff in a golden substance that quickly hardens into something with very low friction. If she hits someone with it, they wind up snared in a golden substance, or Lisa would tend to use it to coat the ground to make people fall or for her to slide across it quickly, hence the "Glider" part of her name. But the gun has a higher setting that makes the chemical it creates acidic, so that when it coats something, it's actually eating through the thing beneath said coating. Said coating itself becomes super brittle as well, so she could just shoot a vault door, wait a few moments, then punch the section she shot, making it crumble. The people she shoots would also be reduced to hollow golden statues.

The gun might also be useless against gems, diamonds and precious metals so that she can safely shoot certain things, but could also be a weakness others could exploit.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:50 am

I also figure we'll give the recruitment another week or so, see if anyone else wants to join. Both HJ and Ken sounded interested, and while we technically have enough to start, with this at least I'm of the mindset of "the more the merrier".

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:21 am

Ares wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:44 am
MacynSnow wrote:
They look pretty good for the most part, but I'd say the entire Rogue's group is composed of Middleweights, not Cruiseweights. Cruiseweights imply that everyone of them has some attack that can straight up take down a guy like Superman. Now, while I could imagine one or more Rogue's giving Supes a problem or even defeating them, it's via the Batman method of "fighting dirty, rigging the battlefield, exploiting weaknesses".

I could also never figure out what Golden Glider's Golden Gun was suppose to do. Apparently it coats inorganic matter in some golden substance, but when organic matter gets hit, the organics get turned into the golden substance? So it will one-shot kill normal people, but it's useless against everything else?

I'd have probably gone with something where the you've got two settings for the gun: The basic setting lets you coat stuff in a golden substance that quickly hardens into something with very low friction. If she hits someone with it, they wind up snared in a golden substance, or Lisa would tend to use it to coat the ground to make people fall or for her to slide across it quickly, hence the "Glider" part of her name. But the gun has a higher setting that makes the chemical it creates acidic, so that when it coats something, it's actually eating through the thing beneath said coating. Said coating itself becomes super brittle as well, so she could just shoot a vault door, wait a few moments, then punch the section she shot, making it crumble. The people she shoots would also be reduced to hollow golden statues.

The gun might also be useless against gems, diamonds and precious metals so that she can safely shoot certain things, but could also be a weakness others could exploit.
Well in their Defense,they HAVE defeated the Flash a couple of times and he's listed as a Heavyweight.....but your right on the tactics part,so i'll pop 'em back down.

As for the Glider's Gold Gun,she's only had it about 2-3 month's in that reality,so she doesn't know much about how it works.Not to mention the Person she got it from did so under extortion/hostaging and you start to understand why it's so limited.The Original idea behind the Gold Gun was to spray a shot of it underneath a Speedster's feet(or just in front of them),causing them to lose all movement since movement itself involves creating Friction(it also explains why it uses Gold,as it has a very low Friction anyway.).The same trick can also be used on enemy Equipment,in Stairwells, just in front of doors,etc.

Her overall inexperience with the Gun is gonna be a major handicap for the Rogues when the Fights start,but she's also really good at teamwork(Especially with Len and Rory) so that could be a factor....

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:28 am

MacynSnow wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:21 am
Ares wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:44 am
MacynSnow wrote:

Well in their Defense,they HAVE defeated the Flash a couple of times and he's listed as a Heavyweight.....but your right on the tactics part,so i'll pop 'em back down.

As for the Glider's Gold Gun,she's only had it about 2-3 month's in that reality,so she doesn't know much about how it works.Not to mention the Person she got it from did so under extortion/hostaging and you start to understand why it's so limited.The Original idea behind the Gold Gun was to spray a shot of it underneath a Speedster's feet(or just in front of them),causing them to lose all movement since movement itself involves creating Friction(it also explains why it uses Gold,as it has a very low Friction anyway.).The same trick can also be used on enemy Equipment,in Stairwells, just in front of doors,etc.

Her overall inexperience with the Gun is gonna be a major handicap for the Rogues when the Fights start,but she's also really good at teamwork(Especially with Len and Rory) so that could be a factor....
I might have to bump the Flash down to a Cruiseweight while I'm at it. He CAN give top tier characters a tough fight and beat them, but generally speaking he operates as a Middleweight. If Barry and Peter Parker were to swap villains, I can see both of them adapting equally well, but having similar amounts of trouble at the same time.

Oookay, that kind of makes sense for the Golden Gun, being more intended as a friction negating surface used to fight speedsters and generally being a big pain in the butt by altering the environment. Lisa just tends to use to coat things in the stuff since, well, it's a gun. That makes sense.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:27 am

The picks so far are kind of interesting, especially compared to the battle board they use to try and run these on. Over there, you'd see guys scrambling for Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, Goku, Thor, the Hulk, Silver Surfer, the Flash, Dr. Strange, etc.

Over here, we've got way more Marvel Family representation than Super-Family picks, the only Bat-character is the third Batgirl, etc. It's kind of interesting and cool to see who picked what and why.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:22 am

Ares wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:27 am
The picks so far are kind of interesting, especially compared to the battle board they use to try and run these on. Over there, you'd see guys scrambling for Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, Goku, Thor, the Hulk, Silver Surfer, the Flash, Dr. Strange, etc.

Over here, we've got way more Marvel Family representation than Super-Family picks, the only Bat-character is the third Batgirl, etc. It's kind of interesting and cool to see who picked what and why.
For my reasoning,it's a fairly simple concept:Teamwork.The Rogue may not have a lot of power(they DO lose more than they win),they make-up for it in Tactical thinking and Double-teaming the competition.Yeah,Batman can probably easily handle any ONE of these guys,but could he handle ALL of these guys at ounce.... ;)

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:29 am

I wanted characters that I thought would be fun to write, have fun dynamics interacting with each other, and look good in tank tops.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:38 am

I wanted a chance to write some of my favorite characters (Cap, Wuji, Kuuga), and then have a pretty versatile team of folks I liked that fit the self-imposed challenge I gave myself. It's not my ultimate team of all time, but that's only because that team would be twice as big, not have that self-imposed challenge and have an even wilder character assortment.

Peter Petrelli also offered the chance for a nifty little idea I'd always wanted to use at one point. The idea with this version of Peter is that he can copy the powers of anyone who has superpowers slapped over an otherwise normal human genetic template. This would include mutants, humans altered by experiments, etc. However, he can't mimic the powers of people who get their abilities from technology (power armor/cyborg/gadgeteers/super weapons), magic (spellcasters/magically endowed/magic gear), skill (chi abilities/combat training) or who aren't technically human (aliens, demons, etc.). And then you put him on a team composed of people whose abilities he can't copy, so that he's never showing up his other teammates.

I'd also go with something akin to the Marvel Mimic where he can copy the powers of everyone in an area around him, but he can only store a certain number of abilities long term, and if he wants to keep a new ability, he has to swap out an old one. In this case, Peter can store six power templates at a time.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:01 am

If your using Marvel Mimic,wouldn't Petruski get their weaknesses too? If he....say copied Mirror Master's and Tops abilities,he'd not only be the only person in an upright position,but could be harmed by extreme cold..

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:18 am

MacynSnow wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:01 am
If your using Marvel Mimic,wouldn't Petruski get their weaknesses too? If he....say copied Mirror Master's and Tops abilities,he'd not only be the only person in an upright position,but could be harmed by extreme cold..
Yes, he'd get their weaknesses and vulnerabilities in classic mimic style, though only in ways that are linked to the power themselves, not due to any issues the person with the powers might have due to psychological or physiological issues. Like, if he copies Cyclops' power, he doesn't have the head injury that prevents Cyclops from turning his powers on and off at will (though that has been retconned and re-retconned). And if he copies the Hulk's power, he doesn't have Banner's psychological issues, so he'd just turn into something more akin to Professor Hulk.

But if he copied the Hulk, he'd get that vulnerability to having the gamma energies drained and similar things.

I'm not sure how well his powers would work on aliens who get powers via accident, like Jo Nah/Ultraboy. I'd say it depends on how "human" the alien in question is.

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:29 am

I just realized that my Multiversal Birds of Prey have exactly one character with powers that don't stem from magic or undeath. :lol:
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:54 am

Peter Petrelli didn't just absorb the abilities or weaknesses of Evos, he also gain some of the psychological flaws like when he "gained" Sylar's hunger and bloodlust.

As for my picks, none were necessarily what i call fan favorites save for Arana (but i gave up reading about her after Civil War and the 50 State Initiative garbage but i digress.) and El Dorado (i have all the dvds of the old 1980s Super Friends show and enjoyed as a kid mimicking Ricardo Montalban's "Corinthian Leather"/Fantasy Island voice whenever i see him.) but i have thought they would be cool as a team which are capable but aren't world beaters, hell a bullet can kill them.

"No, we are not the League or the Avengers. We're the other guys."
Last edited by Shadowmask on Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.